“Ronnie's - good stuff”

Ronnie's Ice House Barbeque
Ranked #6 of 24 Restaurants in Johnson City
Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Good for: Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Seating, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Austin, Texas
“Ronnie's - good stuff”
Reviewed April 9, 2014

I have hit this place 4 times in 2 weeks and everything has been great. The ribs aren't fall off the bone like I like them (Saltgrass), but everything else (brisket, pork loin , sausage) is worth your time trying it out. The portions are generous and the staff is friendly.

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank Ra_2906

Spicewood, Texas
“Consistent taste and always fresh”
Reviewed April 3, 2014

You know the BBQ's good when you find locals at the BBQ tables. Ronnie's Ice House is consistently good and always fresh. The brisket has an honest smoke ring and can be cut with a fork. The BBQ chicken has a crispy outer crust and a smoked taste and juicy texture. Rids are tender with a good smoke flavor. Ronnie's is a great lunch stop for those you like to experience very good local BBQ.

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank Number1green
Eau Claire, Wisconsin
“Smoke'n Good Ribs!”
Reviewed March 8, 2014

This is Hill Country and this BBQ joint is a no frills place serv'n up awesome smoked ribs, brisket and other items. Startn' early in the morn'n the smoker gets work'n. By lunchtime Chef is ready to serve your choice from the wall menu. We shared 2 pork ribs, a side of beans, cole slaw, white bread and iced tea. Next time I am not share'n! Delicious!!

Visited February 2014
1 Thank 172nancyj
Chicago, Illinois
“Honest barbecue in the Hill Country”
Reviewed October 4, 2013

The reviews immediately below are not off the mark but I would like to add my perspective to theirs. I also recommend staying away from sandwiches and just going ahead with meat, bread (if you like), and sides. Unless you have a big appetite then one plate with two meats is recommended for two. We chose the brisket and pork ribs. The brisket was good and we had no trouble eating it (or the ribs) entirely. It did taste a little like gas and the meat was not as tender or flavorful as the premier barbecues in Austin, but for the Hill Country we appreciated what Ronnie's was offering. (Note: I did see oak logs in the back so I don't have an explanation for the gas taste.) The ribs were dry and crusty on the outside but moist inside. We weren't going to get sides but they come with the plate so chose green beans and cole slaw - both of which were surprisingly good and made great contrasts to the meat. For the price you really can't go wrong. You will leave satiated and wont feel like your money went misspent. Oh yes, and what about the service and other customers? Our service was pleasant. Nothing objectionable. Ronnie was a gentleman and the girl behind the counter attentive. The other customers were just normal. You wont be intimidated by truckers or bikers if your experience mirrors ours. Just men and women earning a living and enjoying barbecue. But do expect to see pickup trucks in the parking lot.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank pcouture29
Spring Branch, Texas
“Basic Brisket”
Reviewed September 28, 2013

My husband really wanted to try their barbeque and on our last visit to Johnson City, we found out they closed at 2:00 p.m. We were there after five, so I promised him we'd return.

This was our first visit so while we were looking over all of the available meats, Ronnie sliced a piece of the turkey bbq for me to sample. It had a mild smokey flavor, but wasn't too dry and was very tasty. I thought this was a very nice and generous gesture. He was chopping the brisket so I opted for that. It was served on a large Butter Krust bun, almost more bun than meat, with chopped onions, pickles and bbq sauce. The sauce had a strong vinegar odor, was light in color, more on the orange side than red, and was a bit runny. I prefer my barbecue sauce dark and spicey. The meat had a mild to medium smokey flavor, and was a bit on the fatty side. My husband ordered the brisket sliced and half of a sausage link, potato salad, cole slaw and a whole jalapeno. He asked for a few slices of white bread. I guess it doesn't usually come with sliced bread. I'm not sure about that, though. He enjoyed eating the meat and his sides. He mentioned that the potato salad and cole slaw had a strong vinegar flavor.

The female servers behind the line were efficient, a bit gruff but not rude. After we were served and paid for our food, they immediately pulled out their cell phones to text. I sort of felt like I was in a BBQ twilight zone.

You get your drinks from the refrigerated section or fountain station.

There were other diners in the place and I noticed they had piled their buns on the side of their plates. I'm guessing they had a large ratio of bun to meat, too.

The decor is more hunting lodge with a few antlers here and there, with lacquer coated cedar beams, plastic vinyl covered tables, and a concrete floor.

A few regulars popped in and out for to go orders and the staff seemed to know what they wanted to order. They were personable and friendly with them, even exchanging a few hugs.

Perhaps they were a bit crusty with those they didn't know, but a smile would have been nice.

My overall impression of the brisket was that it is good basic barbeque. We brought some home and tasted it without the bun and sauce and the meat was very good cold. I would suggest skipping the bun altogether and just get it sliced with two slices of bread.

• Visited September 2013