“Good meal”

Cuisines: American, Mexican
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner
Reviewed February 16, 2012

I recommend the Southwest Catfish with mashed potatoes and green beans. marvelous!

Reviewed February 8, 2012

dirty and was not a place I would go back again. I can't believe people go there.

Reviewed January 3, 2012

We were heading back from Pedernales Falls on New Years Day and there was little open. Reading the stellar chicken fried steak/chicken reviews, we figured this would be a sure bet. It was for my husband who loves a good chicken fried anything! He got the award winning chicken fried pork chops and was not disappointed. I got the chicken fried steak and hubby claims it was the best he'd had a long time. I was not a huge fan however. It was good in that it was not greasy and had a lovely crunch to it. But the chef just has a crazy heavy hand when it comes to pepper. All I tasted in the steak, the gravy and the onion ring appetizer we ordered was pepper! It was overpowering and took away from the meal. As far as sides, the okra was good, the mashed potatoes terrible and the breakfast/fried potatoes awesome!

Completely agree with other reviewers that there is little atmosphere here. It's a little dingy and rundown (but seemed clean) and the staff is courteous at best. I've been to many little hole in the walls like this with plenty of character despite being old and cramped. This was not the case here.

So go with the expectation of country home cooking and lots of pepper and you won't be disappointed!

Reviewed September 6, 2011

This restaurant seems a bit under-rated on tripadvisor, even though it is a bit famous (listed in Roadfood for example). I thouight their signature dish, chicken-fried steak, was extremely good. I suspect not everything on the menu is great (my son's french fries weren't homemade), but you can have a great inexpensive local meal here. Prices for dinner were very reasonable, and they have a good kids meal.
We thought about returning for breakfast, but we looked at the menu and their breakfast prices seemed a bit high for the area (almost as expensive as dinner!).

Reviewed April 1, 2011

We actually had a good experience at this restaurant. We ate breakfast. I had eggs, bacon and grits. My partner had Chicken Fried Steak and Eggs with grits. And we both loved our meal. Even the grits were fabulous. The coffee could be better. The atmosphere is really cute. A pine building, and even the restrooms are pine. At the checkout, the lady was putting out colored divinity and regular white divinity. YUM. They also had shish-ka-bob sticks with pralines, divinity and something else on them--looked delicious. The waitress was extremely down home and friendly.

A word of caution: the restrooms have stalls made out of wood slats to look like a tall fence. You couldn't see over them, but you could definitely see between the slats into the next stall. Did NOT like that. i.e. if someone was next to you, they would be able to see everything....ugh.