“Found this Park 20 years ago on a geology fieldtrip, and I moved here 10 years ago.”

Pedernales Falls State Park
More attraction details
Owner description: A 5,212-acre park that offers six miles of river frontage for camping, horseback riding, hiking, and off road bicycling.
Johnson City, Texas
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
Reviewed June 15, 2013

I love the geology here. My daughter hands me rocks she thinks I might like. We swim in the river nearly every weekend. Well, I find a spring and sit in it's outflow while I watch my daughter learn to swim in flowing water, and how to walk on river rocks.
No big hikes yet with my little one, but I went on them in the past, and they are great. I prefer the hikes near, or going to, water. The trailer/tent camping area has many different and interesting sites to pick from. As far as restrooms go, these are very good. The Park's employees and visitors are always nice. It's easy to strike up great conversations with perfect strangers here. We all know this is a great place to be.
Recently, I taught yoga on the beach between the Falls and the willow-shaded spring. I think the sound of rushing water, and the morning's birdsong, induced my student's extra large smiles.
This is just a wonderful place to visit.

Visited June 2013
7 Thank LittleFoodieInJC

Richardson, TX
27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 57 helpful votes
“Excellent bird blinds”
Reviewed June 3, 2013

Our second visit to Pedernales Falls State Park. One of the highlights at Pedernales is the bird blind area where you can spot a wide variety of birds native to the area. We particularly enjoyed spotting a painted bunting pair. The bird blind area is manned by volunteers who stay in the park for the spring/summer and keep the feeders full as well as providing visitors with information. The falls area is lovely and a joy to explore by climbing over and around the boulders for different views. The one area we did not enjoy was the Wolf Mountain trail - do not take that trail expecting to find overlooks/views of the river. There were some nice stops along the creeks that intersect the trail - but for the most part this trail is just a long, hot walk on a gravel road.

Kansas City, Missouri
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 39 helpful votes
“Breathtaking”
Reviewed May 14, 2013

Absolutely perfect! A must see anytime of the year and amazing for swimming in the summer months. Lots of hiking and climbing for the kids. Scenery that will take your breath away.

5 Thank kcwifle
Albany, New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Beautiful Scenic Park”
Reviewed May 6, 2013

The ride from Austin was only 60 minutes, well worth it. The cost into the park for an all day admission was only $6.00 per person, worth every penny. The falls were pretty dry due to mother nature but still a sight to see. We were able to hike down and walk across all the limestone. There are many trails and camping facilites available. The wildflowers were magnificient and we also took a walk down to the swimming hole. A wonderful day spent, plan on going back when the falls have more water to show their true self.

2 Thank GilysGirl
Austin, Texas
82 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 114 helpful votes
“Great Hiking”
Reviewed April 24, 2013

We hiked the 4 Mile Loop and thoroughly enjoyed it. Our dog on a leash enjoyed it too. Trails are in great shape, not too crowded, weather was good. Park rangers were very nice and helped us find our way to the trails.

Visited April 2013