“Hotel Experience I Won’t Forget”
Review of Su Gologone

Su Gologone
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Oliena
Royal Tunbridge Wells, United Kingdom
“Hotel Experience I Won’t Forget”
Reviewed July 7, 2014

Set in the heart of rural Sardinia in the midst of nowhere is the Su Gologone, possibly one of the most unusual hotels in Italy. It is famous throughout Sardinia for its individuality, its artwork and its quiet luxury. Having stayed here I shall never forget the experience.
We arrived here for three nights on a hot July afternoon and were greeted by a friendly receptionist who checked us in with the minimum of fuss and offered us a welcome refreshing drink. What struck me most was the incredible sound of the cicadas in the trees and shrubs that totally surround the hotel and the feeling that you had arrived in a very unusual place indeed.
The hotel is decorated with a multitude of different kinds of Sardinian artwork and is situated on a hillside with a series of terraces shaded by masses of exotic flowering shrubs and other vegetation. And everywhere you can hear the sound of birds and insects – it reminded me of a visit to the rainforests of Northern Australia long ago.
The bedrooms are individually decorated and are very luxurious with beautiful furniture. Ours had a small balcony again shaded by copious amounts of vegetation and a view, albeit obstructed, of the imposing Supramonte Mountains. To be honest I feel there is just a tad too much shrubbery around the hotel particularly near the bedrooms which often obscures a sensational mountain view.
The hotel possesses several modern facilities including a pool and tennis court. Wi-Fi was available in our bedroom.
You could spend days wandering around the gardens discovering all the nooks and crannies that invite you to relax and absorb the wonderful artwork and brightly coloured decor and furnishings. On our last evening we eventually found the Bar del Tablao near the Terrace of Dreams and watched the sun set over the mountains whilst being served a delicious cocktail – a very memorable and delightful experience.
The hotel has several restaurants all serving delicious authentic Sardinian food. In the summer you eat dinner on the terrace overlooking a beautiful valley and mountains. Lunch can be taken in a separate pool side area again decorated in bright colours and artwork.
The hotel is very efficiently run by a team of charming staff who are happy to advise you on the many spectacular trips on offer in this rugged part of the country. It is particularly appealing to hikers and trekkers. The very interesting town of Orgosolo is worth a visit where local artists and others have turned the place into an art gallery by painting murals on many of the buildings.
You feel after a visit to the Su Gologne that you have tasted the true essence of Sardinia and is in splendid contrast to the more tourist and beach orientated coastal resorts. One day I hope to return to this magical place.
N.B. People with any kind of walking difficulty should contact the hotel to be allocated a room on a lower level to avoid some of the stairs to reach the rooms on the higher terraces. There is no lift.

Room Tip: Rooms on upper levels have best views but difficult access
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank jcbm

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
Littleborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 4, 2014

We have recently returned from our fifth visit to this wonderful hotel. We had not visited for four years but can honestly say, we loved it even more.

We received a very warm welcome and loved our room which since our last visit now had a hot tub on the balcony. There were also several other improvements such as the herb and vegetable garden which we loved wandering around, improvements to the pool area and lots of new seating areas.

The food was excellent as ever and the staff friendly and efficient.

It is our favourite hotel of all the ones we have visited over the years and the one we wish to return to again and again.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Macey847
Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 20, 2014

My wife booked this hotel in September 2013 for my 70th Birthday present, we went for 3 nights commencing on 10th June 2014 We loved the Hotel and Area so much we stayed an extra night,
From the moment we arrived we were greeted by the most polite and professional staff you could ever wish for, nothing was too much trouble, would love to go again

Room Tip: Would suggest the spa pool inside or outside the room
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
5 Thank Mervyn S
Milan, Italy
Reviewed June 18, 2014

I just found a beautifully wrapped soap from this hotel on the back of a drawer and it brought back so many good memories that I had to write a review. This hotel is very unique and has a lot of little gems and nooks waiting to be discovered. Staff was very professional and friendly from the moment I stepped in the hotel until I was back home and realized that I had forgotten my charger and they sent it to me. We had a lunch and a dinner at the hotel's restaurant and I will always remember those meals. I don't think I have ever eaten so well in a hotel, specially because I love the local cuisine. There was a lot of people staying at the hotel but our ground floor room was very silent and peaceful. I could even open the windows in the morning. The room was spacious and decorated with local elements, the bed and pillows were very comfortable, and the huge bathroom added a luxurious feel to the room.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank AnaOliveTree
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed June 7, 2014

This is one of the most unusual and visually appealing hotels I've ever stayed in. Every inch of the property is designed with cubby holes and nooks, each tastefully decorated and meant to be used to sit and read, have a quiet conversation, or just plain relax.

Set in the middle of the nowhere, but backed up against two spectacular mountains, just getting there is part of the detox. Please note that at the time we went (June 2014), the bridge that leads to the property (5 minutes away) is under extensive repair and is closed. There is no sign directing where to go, and you literally wonder what you are supposed to do. Luckily other locals came by and drove down a dirt path alongside the bridge, and we followed bravely.

Other reviewers have commented about the lack of wi-fi, and I tend to agree that if you want to be wired all the time, this is probably not the best choice for you. This is a place to come and commune with nature, to take walks in the country, to read a good book, all the while delighting in the wide variety of artwork in house.

The food is plentiful and varied. The roast pig is to die for, and the Sardinian bread is just plain addictive.

The staff could not have been more cordial and attentive. They went out of their way to make sure you had a good stay.

My only other observation is that you should be aware that you are out in the country and primarily outdoors. There are plenty of flies and other insects around (none in the room), but that's what dining al fresco means, right?

Can't wait to come back, and this time with my wife!

Room Tip: I stayed in room 62 which is a junior suite. It's a delightful room with a private patio and hot...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
4 Thank Paul C
Sydney
Reviewed May 29, 2014

We intended to stay one night only because it's expensive compared to most accommodation in Sardegna and the Trip Advisor reviews were varied. On arrival we knew immediately that we had to stay two nights to appreciate all this hotel complex had to offer. It's not a world class hotel in that there are issues which some travellers might find annoying -- no wi-fi (only in one spot in the reception area), no elevators, no room service...But all that said, we decided to go with the flow and we just loved our time here. We discovered all the little artistic endeavours that make the place aesthetically special, and we found the staff engaging, warm and helpful. The food is excellent (some in our party found the meat courses a bit heavy and the other options a little limited, but if you go with the evening buffet you'll have plenty of delicious choices), and the wine list is very good. Su Gologone adds a layer of luxury to the unique experience that is Sardegna.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank lamprells
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed May 27, 2014

I was sceptical at first having read the reviews for this accommodation but am so thrilled we decided to stay here. I found it to be one of the most unique places I have stayed in but can understand it would not be for everyone. The layout of the hotel is fantastic in that I think they can probably cater to anyone's needs. You do have to be prepared to do some walking around to the place to fully appreciate its hidden treasures from the amazing vegetable garden to the view from the terrace for afternoon aperol spritzes to the onsite museum!! The food is fantastic and the room was beautiful, I did not find it tired in the least. The staff were very friendly and the majority of them are locals which I found wonderful. If you are looking for a conventional stay then this is not the place for you, but if you are looking for an experience then I would recommend this place very highly.

Room Tip: When staying here I would recommend if you have mobility issues that you mention this so a room can...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank HWilson55
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oliena
Hotel Costa dei Fiori
#1 of 2 in Fertilia
Jazz Hotel
Jazz Hotel
#2 of 40 in Olbia

Been to Su Gologone? Share your experiences!