“Top notch diner. Worth a drive and will visit again”
Review of Owl Diner

Owl Diner
Ranked #4 of 267 Restaurants in Lowell
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed January 4, 2013

I had read about this diner awhile back and always thought I'd visit when near Lowell. The chance came up this past week. After reading through some bad reviews, I had second thoughts, but we decided to go anyway.
The 3 adults all had omelettes and they were exceptional. My wife said that hers was the best she had ever eaten, and that's saying a lot. Nice, thin omelette with lots of whatever filling you choose from a *big* list. Kids had pancakes that were also great. Coffee was way above average for a diner and service was great. Not really sure what the negative reviews are about, but I wonder when someone complains about parking. It's only a bit challenging because there are so many people there enjoying the food!

2  Thank John R

Reviewed January 2, 2013

I am a diner fan. I have been going to the Owl diner for more than 20 years. When I travel I seek out local diners for breakfast. The OWL is the best That I have ever been to.
Whats good:
Its a classic old diner with a large dining room added on.
The waitresses are friendly, attentive, and professional.
They have a huge menu for breakfast. Their meats are first class. The ham is the best diner ham I ever had and you get a large piece or two thats thick and cuts with a fork.
The kielbasa is very good and if you ask for it to be burnt they will cook it that way (the my wife's favorite). The omelets are excellent and they have a large selection of ones to choose from.
If you sit in the front diner car you can watch your food being prepared. The prices are reasonable. The beans are homemade, free, and very good. You can customize your meal with no problems. On Sunday morning it is very popular and the line often goes out the door.
They have an extra parking lot that is across the side street that often gets full also.
We go every other Sunday to the Owl and on the alternate Sunday to Rosie's in North Chelmsford. Rosie's is an offshoot of the Owl (Rosie is one of the founding sisters of the Owl diner).
If you like a classic diner experience you can't go wrong with the Owl.
The only problem with going to the Owl is that it is in the core area of an old city and the neighborhood could use some updating. Since it is only open in the morning and through lunch I have never had a problem going there. You will see a large variety of customers from politicians, to suburban families, local college students, and some less fortunate individuals. The people watching is excellent. There are a lot of long term customers like us that will be greeted by name and treated like family.

I travel by RV for 3 to 4 months a year, have been in all the lower 48 states and feel that the Owl is the best diner I have been to.

Jim

1  Thank OAK-Boston
Reviewed December 15, 2012

The diner is a "hole in the wall". There are much better places to visit if you are in the area. I wouldn't advise going to this place. The parking is also pretty bad. I would pass on this one, for sure.

Reviewed December 5, 2012

They truely have the best breakfast. I haven't been in awhile because it is a little bit of a trip but it is so worth it.

Reviewed November 12, 2012

I have to admit that I like owls and when I saw the Owl Diner- well, I had to stop. I was pleasantly surprised. The menu has a huge variety of breakfast items, along with some home cooked goodies like meatloaf. I loved the omelette selection, and they were named after local streets. Our waitress was nice and attentive, and the place had a very homey atmosphere. You could tell the staff knew many of the locals. We also got a free side of beans which was different, but appreciated. I would definitely visit again as they had several egg dishes that I would love to try.

Been to Owl Diner? Share your experiences!