“Great Cambodian meal at affordable prices”
Review of Simply Khmer

Simply Khmer
Ranked #29 of 263 Restaurants in Lowell
Cuisines: Asian, Cambodian
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Boston
“Great Cambodian meal at affordable prices”
Reviewed May 24, 2014

I eat here on a regular basis with my friends and family.

A popular choice at the Cambodian restaurant is the Triple Combo with papaya salad, wings and sticky rice. You can get plain wings or flavored wings. The spice in the papaya salad can be custom-ed to your preference. I think it's a great deal at $ 8.95 and can also serve as an entree for one person or a starter for several people.

The menu has many rice plates with stir frys and grilled meats. Our favorite is the popular Cambodian beef loc lac dish. This time, we shared the grilled pork chops. I thought it was nice that they cut the pork in the kitchen to make it easier for the diner to eat.

When we go in a group, we typically order a few dishes and eat it family style. Our eyes are always bigger than our stomach and we tend to over order. My family loves the wings, calamari and Mee Ka Thung wide rice noodle dishes. My sister loves their pineapple and mango fried rice.

Although their mee Ka thung Chow foon wide rice noodles is delicious, I absolutely love their mee bumborng noodles. The yellow noodles are deep fried to shape like a bird's nest or basket then is topped with a seafood or meat stir fry. The thick gravy softens the noodles and creates a great texture. It is very similar to Chinese's pan fried noodles.

The crowd generally prefers the popular hot wings but I actually prefer the Angkor wings which is also deep fried but tossed with garlic and peppers in lieu of the sweet chili sauce.

When I am lazy, we order quite a bit of takeout from the popular establishment. Our favorite dishes for take out are eggrolls, pad thai (Mee Cha), fried spicy calamari and the famous Hot Wings.

Parking can be a hassle as it's very limited
Credit card accepted
Services is always very friendly
Food is sometimes inconsistent

• Thai first
Fitchburg, Massachusetts
“Best Food Ever”
Reviewed May 17, 2014

I have had the pleasure of having lunch here twice. The vast selection and amazing food always pleases the pallet. The portions are large but the pricing is reasonable.

The wait staff is very helpful and friendly.

If you do not find time to eat here, you are missing out.

• Visited May 2014
Andover, Massachusetts
“Great food and experience”
Reviewed May 13, 2014 via mobile

Nice open restaurant on a quiet street. I was looking for a unique restaurant experience in Lowell and that is exactly what I got. Never had Cambodian food before, so naturally asked our server for help. She was very patient and informative. We started with the wings which were huge, spicy and delicious. They were the angor wings that came with veggies. We also got a chicken dish that was highly recommended. Sorry, can't remember the name, but was prominently featured on menu. In addition we got a traditional tilapia with curry and vegetables served in a banana leaf bowl. It was like stepping into another world for a few hours. I can't wait to go back and try some of the beef entrees. All the food we saw being served around us looked so colorful and smelled great.

Visited May 2014
Framingham, Massachusetts
“Awesome!”
Reviewed March 29, 2014

Got the spring rolls, Angkor wings, Som-Law K'tee, and a traditional rice noodle soup (like pho); all were fantastic! So very good! I grew up in Lowell so I am blessed to have this kind of diverse food locally. Well done!

• Visited March 2014
Boston, Massachusetts
“As close to home cooking as it gets”
Reviewed February 13, 2014

I had given this place a try when they first opened but I never had anything of note to write home about. I didn't start frequenting this place until the famous visit from Andrew Zimmerman had put this place on the map.To be categorized as one of the bizarre food establishments, it had me a little intrigued and so I wanted to see what "specialty" items I've been missing.

Having gone back with some friends, and under their guidance, I saw some interesting stuff on the menu that you'd find cooked in most homes but are not quite ready for the not-so-ethnic public. I thought, 'finally, something authentic'. We ordered the grilled steak tips with a side of "tuk prahok", a rather muddy sauce with a fishy smell that would deter most onlookers. However, it had just the right medley of lime and seasoning to please those of us who know and love this side staple so much. I also enjoy their spicy wings very much and spicy Mee Ka-Tung, but be warned as it may be too spicy for softer palates or young children. I have yet to try their more adventurous specialty items, only because I have been so pleased with the few that I've had and continue to get them when I'm there. But I am sure that on days when I'm feeling less predictable, I won't hesitate to give them a try.

Don't go here for dishes that you can get just around every corner in Lowell, although not bad either, but go here for meals that reminds you of home. Although nothing beats the tried and true taste of home-cooked Khmer foods, it is the closest you can get for the convenience of going to a restaurant. Enjoy!

• Visited February 2014