“Decent food and brew”

Dining options: Late Night
Overland Park, Kansas
“Decent food and brew”
Reviewed January 24, 2013

Decent, but far from outstanding food and beer. Service was OK and my overall experience, just "ho hum". Not bad but not great - acceptable. Nothing would keep me from going back but there are better places.

• Visited September 2012

• Thai first
Chelmsford, Massachusetts, United States
“Nice Add to Lowell”
Reviewed November 18, 2012

It had been a couple of years since I'd been to the brewery in Lowell. We had a group of 10 friends attending the UMASS Lowell vs UNH hockey game and we decided on this as the meeting spot since it was just around the corner from the arena. Pre-game we just had a couple of rounds of beers. Excellent selection. Same as the Beer Works at Fenway Park. I had a blueberry ale which was great. It appeared the rest of the group enjoyed their selections as well. We returned post game for a bite. I had the chili which was so-so. Other items i saw looked good. I look forward to returning. Possibly in the summer before a Lowell Spinners game. They have a great patio area for the warmer weather.

• Visited November 2012
2 Thank Dennis B
Acton, Massachusetts
“So-so burgers and above average beer”
Reviewed August 30, 2012

Dropped in to watch the Pats game and have some good beer and a burger. I recently moved to Lowell, and this was my first visit in a couple of years. Since I was alone, I opted to sit at the bar. The bartender was on top of things and promptly asked what I would like to drink, but when I inquired about the Pilsner, she didn't identify it as German or Bohemian, just gave a generic description. Not too impressive, but I decided to try it and found it to be very light on malt flavor, a bit under attenuated, and not particularly hoppy. Glad I only got the 12 oz.

Note that unlike pretty much every other brew-pub, they don't have a beer menu that describes the beers, just a signboard hanging behind the bar with the names of them--again, unimpressive, and leads me to believe that they don't attract a knowledgeable beer crowd. Disclaimer: I admit to being a beer snob, as I am a home brewer and certified beer judge, so I have a biased view on this stuff.

I got the Charlestown burger, which was 1/2 lb of meat with cheddar and bacon. I requested medium and got medium-rare (the center was pink and cool, and a bit underdone, not hot and just cooked through as medium should be). The cheddar was flavorless as was the bacon--though it was thicker than average, and cooked so as to deliver a satisfying crunch, which many restaurants don't do well. Finally, I noticed some gristle in the burger, indicating that it wasn't a really high quality (like sirloin) cut. Given that they tout their burgers, this was not a good impression of the best they've got! The fries on the other hand were pretty good, not over done and had skin on them, which I like.

I moved on to two other beers during and after the burger: a red ale which had a nice malt backbone, a bit of hop bitterness, but not really forward. There was some crystal malt in there that came through, but overall it was an average effort, not quite as good as the Sam Adams red. They also had a Vienna lager, which was also under-attenuated (a bit sweet), had a lighter body than I think is appropriate, but was otherwise pretty good.

I'm sure I'll be back, but will be cautious about what I order on both menus. The bartender did warn me that the watermelon beer, which was flying from the taps, was pretty sweet, so I stayed away from that. I'm really glad I asked! I'd love to see them publish a beer menu with some descriptions, hop and grain bills, etc. so you can get a better feel for the beer before ordering.

• Visited August 2012
new jersey
“FAT MAN VERSUS FAT BURGER”
Reviewed August 3, 2012

Several times in my life I have had to resort to physical violence.I could always remember the creeping anxiety as to whether or not I was going to get a butt whipping or give a butt whipping.During these struggles with primitive activities my focus was purely on victory.Tonight the fat man met the Steel cage match burger,the heavyweight cheese ,bacon,and onion world champion ,the martial arts kung foo master disguised as beef on a bun.
I got lost in Lowell looking for the "Owl Diner".Lowell is a City that was probably designed by the same Architectural firm who designed Xanadu in the NJ Meadowlands.My wife is a foodist as I and I knew bad food meant an evening of inquisition for myself so I had to act first once I discovered the Owl was closed.What does one do? Strange City ,lost and a wife who looked like she was ready for a diabetic collapse.If I fail I pay,big time.Another day in the car with only the wife holding her stomach ,suffering greater than Christ during the crucifixion,over a bad meal,selected by me,the hub.I prayed for divine intervention.Last lost turn I had spotted an eatery that looked OK.A quick Ipad trip to trip Advisor and I got 5 positive reviews.The wife was very hungry,so Lowell Beer Works her I come.
The joint has its own brewery and makes some great beers.You can see the vats through the glass windows.The joint was known for burgers and beer. So why order Pizza at a Chinese restaurant? I ordered the Downtown Burger.It was a monster .It had cholesterol laden bacon,cheddar cheese,a tasty firm roll,a red onion and came with French fries.For you fry lovers out there,remember potatoes have NO flavor and pick up flavor from the oil and spices it cooked with.These fries had great taste and I ate them no ketchup.
The burger was rare as I wanted and so huge this 280 lummox had to attack it from all sides.The battle got so intense I started to sweat.But experience was in my pocket and after several bites a Saint Bernard would be proud of I took firm control.I fully enjoyed every bite of this monster.The quality of the meat was superior and the beer was clean crisp and cold.
If you go to the eatery drink beer and eat burgers

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank keyasset
Allentown
“Burgers and fresh beer”
Reviewed July 25, 2012 via mobile

The is a burger and beer joint. I mean really good local brews and great burgers. Avoid the salads, they are under-whelming.

Been to Lowell Beer Works? Share your experiences!