“Crowded, reception seemed disorganized” 4 of 5 bubbles

Lowell Beer Works
Ranked #22 of 261 Restaurants in Lowell
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pub
Good for: Bar scene, Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Hampden, Maine
“Crowded, reception seemed disorganized”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2012

We stopped at the Beer Works for a meal and drinks prior to a hockey game at the Tsongas Arena. The Beer Works in Boston is a normal stop prior to games at the Garden, so we figured, why not? It was the weekend of their Winterfest, and that seemed to be going good for them, even with no snow. The pub was very crowded, and that is not a problem, we like to see businesses doing well, but the ladies at the reception counter really didn't seem to know what the other was doing. We waited and waited, and groups were being seatied haphazardly.
When finally seated, the service, menu, and food were all as we remember...very good. On a normal day, this would be a great place to be...excellent brews!!

• Visited February 2012

• Thai first
Boston, Massachusetts
“Great Beers made on the premise!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2012

The beer selection is great. Usually at least 12-15 on tap. This month they have had Belgium styles on tap including a sour! Bartenders are extremely helpful and the bar scene is very friendly. Food is a B+ (not bad for a beer place) with some very eclectic specials including duck confit, mussels, lamb shank. Although I have not tried the bar standards (buffalo wings, hummus plate, nachos) they all look very appealing coming out of the kitchen. My only complaint is everytime I go it is freezing in there so bring a sweater! February is stout month! Can't wait.

• Visited January 2012
New Hampshire
“Awful ....”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2012

Went here with a friend while waiting for my daughter who was taking a test nearby. Nice atmoshere, friendly helpful staff but food and beer werent up to par. Ordered the Common beer which had a great taste but flat. (yes were are in a brewery..expected better) We also ordered the nachos with chicken and guacamole. Cheese was melted on top but all through out the cheese wasnt even melted and shredded chicken was dry and cold. We asked for them to be reheated after we ate the top but came back somewhat melted but not melted al the way, again. How do you screw up nachos? My daughter came and ordered a cup of chowder. Tasted like canned chowder and topped off with a table spoon of parsley. Way too much parsley. All she tasted was parsley even after scooping it off. Wouldnt go back again.

• Visited January 2012
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Boston
“Great Beer, Good Pub Food”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2011

I visit the Lowell Beer Works regularly, about once a month. They have superb craft beers with a good assortment of styles. Good pub food, though not a fancy dinner place. Great place to catch appetizers or a sandwich before or after a baseball or hockey game...just watch the crowds at these times. I only say average because sometimes pub service is slow...though this is not typically a problem in the restaurant section. If you are a regular, make sure to ask for a Beer Works card!

• Visited December 2011
Boston, MA
“Excellent Food, Great Value, Sports Bar Atmosphere”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2011

My wife and I stopped by for dinner one night while our girls were at practice. We had never been here before or knew anybody who had.

Parking was easy to find. There is a big lot across the street if you cannot find on-street parking in front of the restaurant. We even encountered a security guard in the lot who told us that he heard good things about the restaurant but hadn't gotten in there himself. So off we went.

The interior is classic "rustic, post-industrial, steel and brick brewery-restaurant" and is a bit loud -- but not unexpectedly as this has a bit of a sports bar feel as well. Service was fast and accurate, but the thing we want to rave about is the food.

My wife almost never orders steak the same night I do because I like mine well done, she likes hers almost rare, and because the kitchen sometimes holds one meal for another her steak most often comes out overdone. But we were hungry, we both ordered the steak tips with mashed potatoes, and wow -- they were done perfectly.

Aside from getting the orders exactly to our liking, the flavor of the steak tips was just fantastic. Very juicy, flavorful, and I usually like to skip the starch but tried the mashed potatoes and soon I realized... my plate was clean, and so was my wife's. And the check didn't kill us.

We tried to get in one other night but it was PACKED -- so plan ahead if you want to try this out.

Overall, if you are in the area, looking for a really good meal and like the informal "bustle" of the beer works kind of atmosphere, I can't think of anywhere else I could recommend any higher than Lowell Beer Works.

• Visited October 2011
1 Thank DieselDad

Been to Lowell Beer Works? Share your experiences!