“Highlight of the Lowell NHP”

Boott Cotton Mills Museum
Book In Advance
More Info
$109.00*
and up
Lowell National Historical Park Day Trip
Ranked #2 of 28 things to do in Lowell
More attraction details
Owner description: This former textile mill is a reminder of the changes the Industrial Revolution brought to Lowell, and to America.
Reviewed July 3, 2013

This museum is very immersive right up to the ear plugs to walk the weave room production floors. The technology and economic history is on rich display. I wouldn't have brought very young kids here, but 8+ would enjoy it. See my NHP review for more details of our day in Lowell.

1  Thank Darryl P

Reviewed December 15, 2012

A great place to go if you are in the Lowell,MA area. There is so much history here.
You will love the Mills. They show you everything about the Cotton Mills of Lowell.
Must put on you list of things to do.
Older children may like it, but it is more for adults.

1  Thank Paula H
Reviewed September 12, 2012

Very well done museum, worth a visit. After reading the reviews on Tripadvisor, I planned a stop here while on my vacation in Cape Ann and Concord, MA. Well worth the trip as I am a Kerouac fan and I appreciated the beautiful brick buildings which were so important to Lowell in the past. Follow the directions on the NPS website for parking at the visitor center. Take your parking ticket in to the visitor center to have validated and your parking is free. The visitor center's Kerouac movie was not playing till 4 pm, but the park rangers told me that as it was not busy they would play it for me. (I was there at 9:30 am) My daughter and I took the 90 minute canal tour $8 for me, $6 for a 12-year old. Call ahead and make reservations as they fill quickly. Great tour, wish we had taken a longer one as it was so interesting. After the canal tour, we walked to the Boott Mill, stopping on Merrimack St. for some lunch. $7 for two big slices of pizza and a drink at a pizza place. Easy walk to the mill, and you pass Kerouac Park (which is tiny, had some questionable characters hanging around and not worth a separate visit, but if you are walking by anyway, why not stop for a quick look.) My 12- year old was never bored, enjoyed the museum upstairs. Although my daughter did see the BBC production of North & South recently which gave her a background on the cotton mills. There are some activities for children. Plan on 4-5 hours if taking the canal tour. The canal tour went by Kerouac's high school and the Sun Newspaper building where Kerouac once worked. Plenty of places to picnic on benches under shade trees near visitor center or ask a ranger to recommend a place to eat nearby. We learned alot and are glad we made the trip!

2  Thank mrmisrule
Reviewed September 4, 2012

This is a great museum for people of all ages. I like it because it allows people to learn about the truly fascinating history of Lowell and maybe cause them to view the city more positively. The still-working looms are a great thing to see :)

2  Thank Alanna K
Reviewed August 28, 2012

It was amazing to see the machinery involved back in the day to create fabrics and this was just a small representation of what would be many floors of a factory. The guide knew everything about the working conditions and machinery. After seeing and hearing what it was like to work in a mill you'll be thankful for living and working in the present day. I don't care what your job is, it's better than it was in the old days.

1  Thank Joe S

Been to Boott Cotton Mills Museum? Share your experiences!