“Excellent service and good value in Boston”

Holiday Inn Express & Suites Boston - Cambridge
Ranked #17 of 20 Hotels in Cambridge
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Excellent service and good value in Boston”
Reviewed July 6, 2014

Okay, the neighborhood is a little busy as some have noted. The hotel is crammed on a tiny spot and there isn't enough parking in the lot. But the neighborhood isn't really unsafe...just a little urban.
Now that we have that out of the way, once you walk in this hotel you will change your mind. It is spotless, welcoming and the staff goes out of their way to make sure you have all you need.
And I mean the entire staff from manager on down. There is a jar of warm cookies, a bowl of apples and a large carafe of fruit water in the lobby. The rooms are immaculate and the beds extremely comfortable. The breakfast is free and plentiful. Need anything? Just ask and the staff will grant your wishes.
And Boston is expensive. This hotel is a real bargain.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Catherine N
MarkWoodmanGM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Boston - Cambridge, responded to this review, July 9, 2014
Dear Catherine N -

We could not agree more with your comments about our hotel. Yes, we are in a city location but as you pointed out, our hotel is next to a residential neighborhood with restaurants and is just 3 blocks from the T into Downtown Boston. I think many guests are pleasantly surprised when they stay with us as our staff is extremely friendly and is willing to take time to show our guests how to get around and what to make sure they see when they visit the city. We offer great value with compared to Boston and we appreciate you mentioning that. We thank you for our comments and look forward to having you as a guest again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
  • Turkish first
Herndon, Virginia
Reviewed July 6, 2014

My expectations were not high, but we were pleasantly surprised. The staff was friendly and informative. When I requested a rollaway bed, it was in our room when we returned from touring. It is in walking distance to the T and the science museum. Yes it is on a major highway but that did not bother us. Parking was not an issue but we were told if their lot was filled they had overflow parking across the street. The room was comfortable. The beds good. The room had a microwave, frig and coffee maker. The complimentary breakfast was a step above with eggs pancakes and meat. Not cheap but cheaper than Boston and you don't have to pay for parking

Room Tip: Not sure if they have rooms on parking lot side but if noise bothers you request one there
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank shermanrs1
Dear shermanrs1 -

Thank you for sharing your comments about your recent stay with us. We agree that we offer a better value at our hotel and our location is a lot less expensive than staying in Boston. As we are so close to the T into Downtown Boston, guests have started coming without cars so that they can save a bit more money. We thank you for choosing to stay with us and look foward to seeing you again soon.
Gainesville, GA
Reviewed July 3, 2014

My husband and I have stayed here for the past 2 nights and have been very pleased. It is clean, good customer service, and a nice breakfast. The beds are fairly comfortable and the hotel is located about 2 blocks from the T or metro station. It is an easy walk and I felt safe walking from there at night.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Ashleigh F -

We apprecaite your great comments about our hotel and staff. We agree that we are very conveniently located just three blocks from the T, which can take anyone anywhere throughout Boston and Cambridge. Thanks for choosing to stay with us and please come back and visit us again.
Alexandria, Virginia
Reviewed June 30, 2014

Everyone was so nice and the room was perfect for my needs. The décor is so so but the place is clean. I had a living room and a separate but small bedroom. I stayed in a much more expensive hotel the night before because I was attending a business meeting there; I found the Holiday Inn Express a much better value and it met my needs better. I prefer in room coffee, a refrigerator and a microwave to a tv in the bathroom mirror. I only ate a small breakfast but they had a really nice selection with plenty of seats.
A couple of blocks to the subway system - the staff told me it was safe to walk at night but I didn't. The ice water in the lobby was really nice after a long day of site seeing. Coffee and tea were available in the breakfast room any time - another nice touch. I would definitely go back there if I wanted to stay in Cambridge again.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
MarkWoodmanGM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Boston - Cambridge, responded to this review, July 1, 2014
Dear LWtravels20590 -

You have highlighted everything that we strive for here at the hotel, and everything that many of our other guests have also said. We offer value for a location so close to Boston and the T, amenities that some hotels don't offer, and a friendly, outgoing staff that works hard to ensure all of our guest enjoy themselves while with us. Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for sharing your wonderful comments. We look forward to seeing you again soon.
Trumbull, Connecticut
Reviewed June 30, 2014

I am going to start with the good because there is only one good thing to report, the staff was very friendly and helpful it ends there.
We arrived around 12 and of course our room wasn't ready but we were able to park, first come first serve for the 30 cramped spaces that were there, I guess if you can't park in the lot you park on the street, if you can find room, but it would have to be a side street because the front of the hotel is on a four lane busy, noisy highway. We choose this hotel because it was on the list of hotels to stay for our venue and it was a Holiday Inn, so we made assumptions, big mistake.
Because of the parking situation and because it was "close" to many restaurants, we decided to walk to find some lunch. In one of the reviews the location was described as "industrial" that is candy-coating this neighbor - "hood". I wouldn't want my wife leaving the hotel by herself to walk anywhere in this area, in my opinion a better word would be "sketchy" at best to describe the location and surrounding area, nothing wrong with that of course but if a guest is thinking about a place to stay I think they should know the surrounding area, if I was privy to this information I would have definitely not booked this hotel,
We visited our family staying at another hotel, when we got to their hotel, I immediately went to the desk and asked if they had any rooms because of the drastic differences in location and accommodations, unfortunately nothing was available but we were only staying one night so how bad could it be?
Well we found out, we got back and the room was ready, get to our room and we have the lovely view and noise of the highway along with a huge liquor store, 3 car washes, a muffler shop and a gas station, see attached picture, the a/c barely worked and the cable connection to the TV kept falling out, but the room was clean, the front desk did call to ask if our room was acceptable, which was nice but again the staff was excellent.
We got ready for our event, bathroom was clean as well, took the elevator, which by the way does not have up or down indicators is very slow and there are only two for the all of the hotel guests to use as well as housekeeping, we get to the lobby and there are about 50-60 young girls checking in, apparently the hotel was hosting this group for the weekend, which they do a lot we were told, this is another issue, guests should be made aware when they book that a large group will be there at the time of your stay, once again if I had known that we definitely would not have booked this hotel knowing this, probably why they didn't say anything.
We walked through the questionable surroundings to our venue. Our event ended around 11pm, We contemplated getting a cab back to our hotel because of the area, taxi numbers were posted at the venue, makes you wonder, but we opted to walk back, there were no issues but as I stated I wouldn't want my wife walking alone in that area or the surrounding areas.
Thankfully we only had to spend one night at the hotel, we set the alarm early so we could leave as soon as possible and honestly if it wasn't a 2 1/2 hour ride home I would have left that night. We really didn't sleep because of all the noise from the traffic of trucks, motorcycles, etc...
We got up early, received the bill almost $300 for our stay which I thought was outrageous. I went to bring a few things to the car, I waited about 5 minutes for the elevator, when it arrived it was packed, I had to wait for the other one, 2 minutes later it arrived, as I exited to the lobby I was greeted by about 30-40 people blocking the hallway, made my way to the car but had to wait to pack it because the people in the cars directly adjacent to ours were packing theirs, no doubt for the same reasons, to get out as quick as possible, then back to the elevator, there were only about 20 people in the lobby this time, 5 minutes later the elevator arrives but filled with housekeeping, not their fault I understand the Hotel should have separate elevators, in any event, I waited another 5 minutes and an elevator arrives, 5 of us get in, but alas no arrows and the elevator was going down to the basement, of course, housekeeping could not get in because there were 5 of us, the elevator stops on 4 different floors and on the last stop 5 more people come in, they want to go down to the lobby but again no arrows.
Finally I arrive at our room, I grab the rest of our belongings, my wife and I finally can leave, back to the elevator, and again a wait of 5 minutes, the elevator finally arrives and of course full of people, making their exit as well.
We finally make it to the lobby, again full of people, to check out, I am sure the clerk at the desk could read my face because she didn't ask how our stay was, I am betting they get that a lot. We did not walk we ran to the car to put as much distance as possible between us and this establishment. NEVER AGAIN.

Room Tip: Sleep in your car instead
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
We are very sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us. As we are a very busy hotel, there are times when both of our elevators are in great demand and we appreciate your patience. Thank you for praising our hard working staff as they make every effort to make our guests feel as comfortable as possible. We wish you great success in finding more appropriate accommodations in the future.
Syosset, NY
Reviewed June 29, 2014

Very convenient to both Boston and Cambridge. Lechmere Green Line terminal just up the street. Even had good crispy bacon at the complimentary breakfast. Had a large room with 2 Queens, fine mattresses, beddings, pillows, so all three of us slept easily. Got a very favorable price as compared to other less worthy properties.

And...I arrived at noon and the front desk associate was happy to pleasantly check me in right away, early, which to me is always a measure of great customer-centricity. It houses a diverse professional clientele who all seem to appreciate its virtues.

The showerhead was so good (rare) that I examined it, wrote down the name and am buying one for home (on line I noticed alot of people say the same thing). This is clearly a well-managed property with very positive friendly capable staff members.

Admittedly the location looks a bit industrial and busy, but rest assured it is quiet inside, and the location is a boon, with Immediate access to Boston AND Cambridge. The road to Somerville and Medford is also convenient if you need it. The location allows them to accommodate Free Parking, so if you need a car in the area this is a sure bet.

Room Tip: Usually we like a higher floor, but the second floor room we got was secure and quiet. The whole hot...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
MarkWoodmanGM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Boston - Cambridge, responded to this review, June 30, 2014
Dear SueSyo -

Wow, thank you very much for praising our location and our staff. Every one of our team members strives to go above and beyond to make sure our guests are happy and comfortable while with us and we succeeded with you! I will pass your comments to my team and thank you for choosing to stay with us while you visited Boston. We look forward to having you as a guest again soon.
Aurora, IL
Reviewed June 25, 2014

For our last night in Boston, we wanted to "splurge" so we took a chance on Hotwire and landed at the Holiday Inn Express in Cambridge. Even though we got a "deal" on Hotwire, it was still close to $200/night. For what we paid, I was expecting very nice accommodations. Our room, while updated, was very tiny. I love staying at Holiday Inn Express because of the great breakfast that's included - eggs, sausage, pancakes, yogurt, cereal etc. We had a late flight out of Boston and the hotel allowed us to check our bags for free after we checked out while we explored the city. Overall, just OK -- I would stay somewhere else next time.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Shauna K
MarkWoodmanGM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Boston - Cambridge, responded to this review, June 27, 2014
Thank you for sharing your comments about your recent stay. Many of our guests feel that we are a value for them when they make a reservation and while our rates are sometimes higher, we are far below many of the other hotels in both Cambridge and Downtown Boston. We are happy that you enjoy our brand and hope to have you as a guest again in the future.