“Location, and spacious rooms”

Residence Inn Boston Cambridge
Ranked #12 of 20 Hotels in Cambridge
McLean, Virginia
“Location, and spacious rooms”
Reviewed February 22, 2014

The Hotel was in a very bad condition. The rooms needed serious upgrading. The furniture was worn out. The internet was extremely slow to a point it was not usable. The lobby was just refurnished and the staff did mention that the rooms were going to get remodeled soon. I did complain about the internet connection to the staff and got an offer to stay again at the Hotel at a discounted rate and try the new internet connection. The Hotel is minutes away (walking) from Kendall Square and MIT.

Room Tip: Request a newly remodeled room
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
4 Thank AnaWaRefeginly
RI-Cambridge-GM, General Manager at Residence Inn Boston Cambridge, responded to this review, February 24, 2014
Dear AnaWaRefeginly,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments about your stay in June of 2013. I am very pleased to announce that the Hotel is in the final days of completing our room renovations. The transformation of our guest rooms includes new furnishings, color schemes, carpet, draperies and bathrooms.

I apologize that you also experienced a poor internet connection while visiting last year. In the summer of last year, the Hotel replaced its entire wireless internet system, and we now offer multiple speed tiers to help you accomplish what matters most. After the installation of our new internet system and as a gesture of goodwill, I had made a discount offer to specific guests to return to the Hotel. I would be more than happy to personally reserve your next trip and apply the discount that was mentioned in my email.

I am looking forward to hosting you again on your next return trip to the area. I am confident you will thoroughly enjoy your stay.

John Wilmoth

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
  • Korean first
Vancouver, Washington
Reviewed January 15, 2014

Stayed at the Inn for two nights in October in a room for three while visiting son who is a MIT student. There was a kitchenette, extremely comfortable bed, sofa bed, and good breakfast. Did I mention there was plenty of room to spread out. It was an ideal location for proximity to MIT and the red line. The only negative was the room rate. Nearby Mead hall was a good spot to have a beer, but the dinners were expensive for the quality.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
RI-Cambridge-GM, General Manager at Residence Inn Boston Cambridge, responded to this review, January 23, 2014
Dear Ursula21,

Thank you for staying this past October when visiting your son at MIT. I am so happy that you enjoyed the suite, especially the extra space in the room. Now that we have begun our total Hotel guest room renovation, the rooms are a great retreat after a long day.

I am sorry to hear about your experience at nearby Mead Hall restaurant. Next time you are in the area, feel free to ask the Front Desk for some local favorites including Champions Sports Bar at the Boston Marriott Cambridge next door.

When you return to visit your son at school, be sure to inquire about special rates set up for MIT visiting parents. I would be more than happy to be your personal contact as well!

I greatly appreciate your taking the time to post your comments to TripAdvisor about your stay. I hope to see you back soon.

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed January 9, 2014

If you have business with 1 or many clients in Cambridge, this is the perfect place to stay. Great, comfortable full suites. Walking distance to many sites, and an easy ride out from the airport using public transportation to Kendall Square.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed January 2, 2014

I stayed here on a work trip. As I was working down the road in Cambridge the location was super convenient, and since I was last in the area (about 18 months ago) there are lots of new places around which was great to see, including a great little bottle shop a short walk away. Meadhall is also a stone's throw away and is one of the better bars in the Cambridge/Boston area if you're a fan of beer. Bypass the Starbucks and head to Voltage Cafe on 3rd; probably the best coffee I've had in Boston.
While the rooms were slightly dated, there was plenty of space. The lounge was comfortable, bed was good enough, and the kitchen was well appointed with utensils. The little details (free popcorn and candy) were a nice touch. I didn't get to use the grocery service, but the shop downstairs was one of the better hotel shops I've experienced, and the staff were happy to help with food delivery recommendations. The breakfast was adequate, if a little nuts on weekends. Free printing downstairs was a definite plus, and the wifi was just fast enough for me (and I was using it across multiple devices, including streaming video).
Lastly, I'd like to thank the staff for helping me with a mini-disaster upon check out. I made my way to the airport only to realise I didn't have my phone. While there was a bit of confusion over the cab driver's phone, I ran into the hotel from my cab with moments to spare, was given a key and encouragement from the front desk staff and found my phone sitting in the middle of the bed left by cleaning staff. I really appreciated the staff being so helpful in a stressful situation. I miraculously made it to NYC on time. Thank you!

Room Tip: I was on the construction side but the noise didn't start until about 8am.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Krrr4
RI-Cambridge-GM, General Manager at Residence Inn Boston Cambridge, responded to this review, January 9, 2014
Dear Krrr4,

I would like to thank you for staying at our Residence Inn in Cambridge. The time you took to write a review on TripAdvisor is appreciated.

This direct feedback about the two local restaurants is very useful, and I will make sure the Front Desk is aware of your experience. The neighborhood has grown so much, and we are thankful for the number of high quality restaurants, bars, and eateries.

I am so glad that your mini-disaster worked itself out, and that you were able to take advantage of our complimentary high-speed internet. There is great news about the construction next door, as it has been completed. The local area looks terrific with all of the recent updates from the city.

Thank you again for choosing our Hotel. I hope you will visit us again soon.

Glenside, PA
Reviewed December 30, 2013

Stayed here for 3.5 months recently. I have mixed feelings about it.

I'll start with the cons. My first impression was that it was unsatisfactory from the start. I changed rooms three times to find one that didn't reek of curry or some other foul cooking odor. I finally wound up on 15 and while it still smelled, I was just too tired of moving to try again. So I used scented candles, a room deodorizer, orange spray every day and eventually, either I got used to it or I managed to get the odor away. I felt the need to cover the furniture with a sheet so my skin didn't come in contact with the fabric. There were two huge stains on the rug.

Housekeeping seems to have a problem with acknowledging the 'no service needed' sign. My space was violated at least three times that I know of, despite having the hang tag on the door handle.

Thankfully, the internet improved with a change in provider. While the large flat screen TV was great, television service is pretty much basic cable. With only one premium service (HBO), there isn't much for a person who doesn't watch network. That situation was rectified eventually with a netflix account, an hdmi cable and an ipad.

The workout room is small and lacks lighter weights. The laundry room only has 4 washers and one was often not operating. The change machine was sometimes left unfilled meaning one had to go to the front desk to get change.

Overall, the rooms are dated and a bit tired looking, except for the first floor. The furniture and rug felt icky. The elevators and hallways need some improved maintenance. Always looked in need of a good vacuuming. And that smell - ugh.

Management made a bad call in allowing a large party of underaged kids free reign to drink alcohol and run all over the hotel while being rude to other guests. Please rethink how you book parties like this in the future. Or at least have more than one person at the desk to handle everything. Poor guy was a nervous wreck.

Some good things:

The kitchen. Useful with most necessary cooking utensils provided. The full size fridge was great. Suggestion: exchange the giant microwave and toaster for a smaller microwave and a toaster oven. Having a kitchen with a stove and no oven is annoying.

Location: Convenient to a lot. While there's not much right outside the door, a five or ten minute walk gets you to the movies, bars, restaurants, a walk or bike ride along the river and so much more. No nearby pharmacy. I rode a bike until school opened, then walked everywhere after that. Taxis are usually lined up and waiting outside the front door.

The lobby and first floor public spaces are very nice, modern and clean, although the furniture in the reception area is really uncomfortable and stupid. Someone thought it looked cool but didn't bother to sit on it.

Most rooms are large and open. Lots of space to spread out without feeling cramped and crowded. Rooms facing Broadway (odd numbers) have a city view which is quite nice but can have street noise, especially on the lower floors and in the early morning when the buses start. A white noise app helps with that. The even numbered rooms face the parking garage. No view but probably much quieter. Except for the never ending construction back there that starts at 6 AM! Ooops!!

Breakfast and evening meals were pretty good, considering. Although breakfast offerings were basically the same every day, there was plenty of variety. They cycled through the evening menus frequently enough so it didn't seem like the same things offered all the time. If you come home before 7, there was always something to eat. I appreciated this as often times I was too tired to go out to eat at the end of my day. Periodic special themes were a nice touch.

Most of the staff is friendly and helpful. Guests were notified early and often if there was to be any disruption. Much appreciated.

The Starbucks on the corner was a bonus for me. I figure I spent about $500 here over the course of my stay. Convenient and friendly. You can come back into the hotel directly from Starbucks, but not the other way around.

Yes, you do have to park your car in the garage behind the hotel. Drop your bags off in front, then go park. Not that big of a deal and it's just a short walk back through a lovely courtyard.

Which brings me to the courtyard. (There's also one across the street). This was a very nice feature. I sat in that courtyard, on a bench under the trees, for many hours. A peaceful respite in a MIT area full of big buildings.

All in all, I guess this place offers enough for a long stay. Especially if someone else is picking up the tab. Interesting note is that when I complained to the bill payer about wanting to move early on, I got chastised. That same person made it here for about 3 weeks then moved over to The Eliott. LOL! If I had a choice, I would probably look elsewhere, too, but I got used to it.

Room Tip: The higher floors (13 - 16) on the Broadway side have a nice city view. Ask if construction is still...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank visualgirl
Dear visualgirl,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a thorough account of your extended stay. I am very grateful that you stayed with us for the duration of the project, and your detailed feedback is very useful.

I am happy to report that the Hotel is currently renovating all guest rooms, and we will be completed by the end of February. The rooms will be fresh and current in style and design. I have passed your specific comments along to the Director of Engineering so we can immediately address the other building deficiencies you referenced in the Laundry Room and Exercise Room.

Thank you for commenting on the breakfast and evening meals. The team in the Gatehouse will appreciate the feedback. I will make a point to share your entire post during one of our daily meetings so the entire Hotel hears all about your stay.

I hope that on a return trip to the area, you will consider staying again. If so, please feel free to reach out to me personally to assist with your reservations.

Regards,

LosAngeles, CA
Reviewed December 24, 2013

Stayed here for MIT Parent's weekend. Large room compared to most hotels, kitchen, and great location. We were able to keep coming back to the hotel during down times from campus which was not an option when I stayed further away. No taxis needed - could either take the T or walk everywhere. For MIT parents, this hotel is very close to East Campus.

Breakfast was better than most free breakfasts. My only complaint was there was only canned pepsi at the evening reception on Thursday. Yes, my only complaint is I didn't like what they gave us for free. Clearly this isn't a large issue.

There is construction next door, but it didn't affect us other than walking around barriers.

We asked and were granted late check out until 2 pm. This was really nice so we could freshen up before we headed out to the airport. This will be my number one hotel in Cambridge. No need to look for another, my husband called this one of the best hotels we've every stayed in. I agree.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank USTraveler0222
RI-Cambridge-GM, General Manager at Residence Inn Boston Cambridge, responded to this review, December 26, 2013
Dear TravelerMR,

Thank you for the nice remarks that you wrote about your recent stay during MIT Parents Weekend. I greatly appreciate your taking the time to post this feedback to TripAdvisor.

I am especially pleased that you enjoyed the large suite style room with the kitchen, and it seemed as if our location to the MIT Campus afforded you some extra time to enjoy your visit. This is a thriving area and fortunately the construction you noted has been completed.

On behalf of the entire staff, I am thankful for you choosing our Hotel and hope that you have enjoyed the Holiday season. We look forward to your return again during the New Year.

Warm regards,

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed December 5, 2013

10" Black hairs on the floor of my bathroom, trash in the trash bin, dirty pillows, living room chair looks as if it is 10-years old, (so worn you can not sit in it without the material sticking into your forearms), and last but not least I come back to my room at 9PM and it was not cleaned. Asked for towels and shampoo to be delivered and they brought me lotion, no shampoo, seriously, how is it that you forget to clean my room and then bring the wrong product. This hurts to write this review as I am a loyal Marriott customer 3000+ nights over the last 13 years........Not worth the price and I have canceled my reservations at this property for the next three weeks, heading to Marriott Courtyard further up on the Charles River.......God please let this property be better................Bill Marriott would not be happy with the lack of quality control at this property. Sorry Marriott Residence Inn in Cambridge, I've also pulled two additional employees out of this property and canceled future reservations.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Brian C
RI-Cambridge-GM, General Manager at Residence Inn Boston Cambridge, responded to this review, December 12, 2013
Dear Brian C,

First, I must apologize for the most dissatisfactory experience you have incurred during your recent visit. It is upsetting to me to learn of the numerous items you mentioned.

I am fairly confident that after you posted your feedback, you also reached out to me at the Hotel. While my attempt to connect with you was not successful, I would still like an opportunity to address the items you listed directly with you.

I agree that some of the areas of the room appear worn. Fortunately, we begin a total Hotel room renovation in 15 days which will address the furniture. In regards to the cleanliness issues that you wrote about, the Housekeeping Manager has already provided your direct comments to the associates involved, as they were coached to perform better in the future.

Please accept my sincere apologies again for these issues. I will plan to follow up directly with you in regards to your stay.