“Great location and service”

Residence Inn Boston Cambridge
Ranked #12 of 19 Hotels in Cambridge
Reviewed October 14, 2013

We stayed for four nights for fall break mid October. Perfect for a family of four (kids 11 and 13). Five-minute walk to the T red line Kendall/MIT station, but an easy walk across the Longfellow bridge to the heart of the city. We also walked to the Museum of Science, Boston public library, and to Harvard, although you can take the Red line and Harvard is only 2 stations away . Taxi to the Aquarium cost about $13 mid morning.

Upon arriving in BOS we took the Silver line to South Station for a FREE transfer to the red line, which was a nice surprise. Check in/out was quick and easy. Friendly and helpful staff. There was an erroneous charge for data service on one of the days, which was promptly removed. Can't beat the free breakfast and free in-room internet.

The room is equipped with a full kitchen, which was very handy. The only complaint we had was a VERY slow draining sink.

Check out is at noon, but the hotel held our luggage since we had an evening flight out of BOS.

Room Tip: No need to rent a car. Boston is very walkable and we took the advice of many on this site to avoid...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
RI-Cambridge-GM, General Manager at Residence Inn Boston Cambridge, responded to this reviewResponded October 31, 2013

Dear K C,

Thank you for staying with us during your fall break. It sounds like your family really enjoyed their visit, and you certainly became accustomed to navigating the city and taking in the sights.

I appreciate your taking the time to post your feedback on TripAdvisor, and will be certain to share the positive comments with the staff. If you have an opportunity, please contact me directly so I can look into the slow draining sink in your room.

Thanks again for choosing our Hotel, and I hope to see you back on a return visit soon.

Reviewed October 6, 2013

My husband frequently travels to Cambridge, MA for business. He always stays at the Residence Inn Boston Cambridge because the hotel is comfortable, convenient, and welcoming. The kids and I accompanied him on this last trip to Cambridge which lasted 3 weeks. We were so comfortable in our 1 bedroom suite. Plenty of room for the kids, plus a separate room for mom and dad. We shopped for groceries from the nearby Whole Foods and Shaw's, and we cooked in the small kitchen (microwave and electric stove). We also enjoyed the complimentary breakfasts and dinners (dinners are offered 3 nights/week). The lobby and dining room are quite lovely after a recent remodel. The beds are better than at other Residence Inns we've stayed at.

While my husband worked, the kids and I toured the city. The T train station and several city bus lines are only a 5 minute walk from the hotel. The Cambridgeside Galleria mall is also within walking distance, and there is a free shuttle from the T station if you don't feel like walking.

Most importantly, what keeps us coming back to this hotel is the fact that they treat us like family. The front-desk and dining room staff greeted us by name each day and even wished my daughter a happy birthday on her special day. We look forward to returning the next time my husband has an extended business trip in Cambridge!

Room Tip: I don't think there are any bad rooms, but the corner rooms (if you can get them!) have an extra...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
RI-Cambridge-GM, General Manager at Residence Inn Boston Cambridge, responded to this reviewResponded October 17, 2013

Dear Jennifer1414,

You are definitely part of our family, and even though screen names don’t reveal actual guest names, I can honestly say that we thoroughly enjoy hosting you.

Thank you very much for the kind words of praise to the staff. I will be sure to share your comments at our upcoming all associate meeting. I am very glad that you enjoyed the renovated lobby and Gatehouse space. We are now working hard to plan a rooms renovation to begin late December. This too will be exciting, and I will be sure to have your usual corner room ready!

Jennifer, thanks for posting your comments to TripAdvisor, as we really appreciate your continued loyalty. Please feel free to call me personally to set up your next reservations.

Reviewed September 13, 2013

Literally made reservation on the taxi ride to the hotel (due to flight cancelation). Front desk bent over backwards to accommodate my last minute arrival. Really appreciated the expedited check-in and professionalism of the staff. Room was very large and had what I needed. Location was an easy ride to and from the airport. Rooms are a bit outdated but clean, and again, very spacious.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
RI-Cambridge-GM, General Manager at Residence Inn Boston Cambridge, responded to this reviewResponded September 19, 2013

Dear Angie S,

I am glad that you found us during your canceled flight. Although you had hoped to depart Boston, I was pleased to hear about the Front Desk offering assistance given your circumstances.

In regards to the rooms being outdated, I am currently working with the Hotel Owner to plan a renovation of all guest rooms beginning in December, 2013. We certainly recognize the need to keep the product fresh and current, and are very excited about the upcoming changes.

Hopefully your flight the next morning was no trouble! If you happen to return to Boston, please keep us in mind.

All the best,

Reviewed September 5, 2013

We went to a quick family reunion over Labor Day weekend . We all stayed here! I was pleasantly surprised how spacious and how the room was clean and had a kitchen too. With two hot burners. Though this time we opt to eat out, we still loved it because of our two children ,fridge was great to have and microwave! Though we had one bedroom suite we still had pull-out bed for kids and the other room separated for us which was nice! We also had the breakfast they provided which was plenty of choices, the waffles and oatmeal came all kinds of toppings and also scrambled eggs to. Like cheese,chives ,walnuts, chocolate chips raisins. .. Fruit and juices ,pastry list can go on! The only 2 downs was the pool was bit chilly,the kids got in pretty quick...the other down fall was the parking we knew we had to pay but we also had to pay each time we took the car out....so note that! Though you are in the city....so if you can use their system to get around and comfy shoes! Overall we had nice time!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family

Dear Cynphin,

Thank you very much for staying with us for the first time during your family reunion. It appears that you and the kids really enjoyed the extra space in the room, and I am so glad that breakfast provided enough options for everyone.

I read your note about the pool and apologize that the kids found it to be chilly. I have asked the Engineering Supervisor to ensure the heating unit is working to keep the temperature between 82 – 84 degrees, our standard. The Hotel location provides easy access to the local “T” stop. If you return, perhaps you can try one trick for parking – street parking at a meter is Free after 6 pm and Free on Sundays and Holidays. While the availability of the metered spots is limited, it provides another option.

Cynphin, I greatly appreciate your taking the time to post your comments on TripAdvisor so we can better learn how to improve our Hotel. I hope to see you on a return trip soon.

Kind regards,

Reviewed September 4, 2013

I stayed here for two nights in conjunction with a company meeting. I organized the company meeting and the meeting facilities as well as the bedrooms were great. The hotel is a block and a half from the Kendall/MIT MBTA Red Line station and a short cab ride from Logan Airport. The area is rapidly developing and there are plentt of restaurants and a 7-11 within walking distance.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
RI-Cambridge-GM, General Manager at Residence Inn Boston Cambridge, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2013

Dear Dharmithran,

Thank you for providing feedback about your meeting experience here at the Residence Inn Boston Cambridge. I think of our location as the best little kept secret when it comes to company meetings, as our conference space is larger than most Residence Inn Hotels, accompanied by a full catering menu.

I truly appreciate the opportunity to host your group, and look forward to having you back in the near future.

Reviewed August 24, 2013

We took our 3 grandchildren to Boston for a 4 day 3 night trip highlighting American history and doing fun things (Duck tour, Museum of Science, NE Aquarium, USS Constitution, Boston Common, Fenway Park tour and more). Kids are two 10 year old boys (cousins) and 7 year old granddaughter. Needless to say there was a lot of stored up energy between the two boys, who do not get together that frequently. We took a two bedroom suite (750 SF) that gave us 2BR, 2 full baths, LR, kitchen and lots of space yet still allowed privacy. We were 2 blocks from the Kendall "T" red line subway, which is a short 2 stop trip to the Boston Common and linked to other lines. The room included a free hot breakfast, internet, dinner (T-Th) and an indoor pool with hot tub. We put the van in the parking deck next to the hotel on Tues. morning and did not take it out until our Friday departure. The price is $25/day to park but it is clearly stated by the hotel and very easy to use with the proximity card pass. Our grandchildren enjoyed the subway as another part of the adventure.

The bottom line is for the cost of a room on the Long Wharf, we had a suite in Cambridge with hot breakfast, internet, dinner and indoor pool in a very safe neighborhood next to the MIT campus. We both feel the 2BR suite ($359/night the third week of August) was a great value and made our trip with grandchildren much more enjoyable.

Extra Tip - 7 Day Link Pass a Super Value - Because we were using the Boston Subway from Cambridge Kendall /MIT stop we chose the 7Day Link Pass. It was only $18 for an adult for unlimited rides on the subway, busses and the ferry to Charlestown Navy Yard (USS Constitution & Museum) from Long Wharf. Kids 11 and under are free when travelling with adults. This was a very efficient way to get around and saved us a fortune in cab fares.

Room Tip: We were on the 12th floor in the corner near the elevators, which was sunny with a nice view. The p...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Dear HappyTravellerNJ,

I am so thrilled that we could provide accommodations for you and your grandchildren to help make some memories. It truly seems as if you made the most of your American history tour around our great city, and the Two Bedroom suite gave everybody enough room to relax at the end of the day.

Thank you for taking your time to post about your visit on TripAdvisor.

Reviewed August 19, 2013

I spent several weeks here and had a great experience.

Frontdesk: Everybody was very nice and very helpful - maybe the best frontdesk I've ever encountered and it's hard to be flawless for several weeks.

Rooms: I got the one without the walls (it's like a loft). It's great. You get a big refrigerator, microwave, oven, two tables (one for work and one for the kitchen - both have outlets so you can work wherever you want) and a sink.

It was very well designed and I actually felt it had more space than I needed.

Extra Services: The cool thing is that they shop for you. You write what you want from the supermarket and they bring it to your room during the day. In Cambridge you can also get almost anything online, but that was certainly handy. They also accept pets - this never bothered me.

Food:

Breakfast: It's a standard hotel breakfast. It's not outstanding, but you have bagels, donuts, eggs, cereal, waffles; lots of choices. You can also take plastic plates or cups to your room.
If you prefer Marriott's breakfast, you can just walk a block and eat there (not for free).

Stuff to buy: The frontdesk has an assortment of quick foods to buy. Instant noodles, chips, ice cream, power bars and what not - it helps a lot.
Room service: ATTENTION. No room service, You may order from many restaurants nearby and they bring the food to your room, so it's almost the same thing. But if you realy need room service, you may not like it.

Location: Great location. Starbucks fans have 2 stores withing 2 blocks (one is right beside the hotel). MiT and the Coop store (with study supplies, restaurants, haircuts, books, magazines, etc..) is very close. The subway is also very close and with the subway (or even by foot) you can go around most of Cambridge and Boston very quickly.

Wireless Internet: I was a little worried about that, but I had a great experience. It worked well for the entire stay. There is a minor annoyance in which you have to login again every day to make it work, but that's a standard in most hotels and it takes about 10 seconds.

I spent several weeks there and found a couple minor issues. Still, I think they deserve the 5 stars (if I become too nitpicky I'll never 5 star anybody):

Housekeeping: Twice they entered the room very quickly without much of a warning (once they tried to zap through the door and once they knocked for 1 second and then came in - both times they got stopped by that little chain, but pretty much ignored the Do Not Disturb sign). That happened to me in other hotels before. Since I spent most of the time in my room working or studying I figured this is something that happens. I'm not gonna break my 5 stars, but this may be a deal breaker for some.

Gym: It was a small nice gym, but one of the "exercises" in the main machine was broken and they didn't seem to have that figured out.
If you require a more hardcore gym, you have options close by.

Even with some minor issuances, I was very pleased with the hotel. I would definitely stay there again. I think it is good for any category, but especially helpful for business travellers and students.

PS: I didn't use their computers or printer services, so I can't comment on that.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business