“First time” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #11 of 19 Hotels in Cambridge
Saugerties
“First time”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

We went to a quick family reunion over Labor Day weekend . We all stayed here! I was pleasantly surprised how spacious and how the room was clean and had a kitchen too. With two hot burners. Though this time we opt to eat out, we still loved it because of our two children ,fridge was great to have and microwave! Though we had one bedroom suite we still had pull-out bed for kids and the other room separated for us which was nice! We also had the breakfast they provided which was plenty of choices, the waffles and oatmeal came all kinds of toppings and also scrambled eggs to. Like cheese,chives ,walnuts, chocolate chips raisins. .. Fruit and juices ,pastry list can go on! The only 2 downs was the pool was bit chilly,the kids got in pretty quick...the other down fall was the parking we knew we had to pay but we also had to pay each time we took the car out....so note that! Though you are in the city....so if you can use their system to get around and comfy shoes! Overall we had nice time!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars
RI-Cambridge-GM, General Manager at Residence Inn Boston Cambridge, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
Dear Cynphin,

Thank you very much for staying with us for the first time during your family reunion. It appears that you and the kids really enjoyed the extra space in the room, and I am so glad that breakfast provided enough options for everyone.

I read your note about the pool and apologize that the kids found it to be chilly. I have asked the Engineering Supervisor to ensure the heating unit is working to keep the temperature between 82 – 84 degrees, our standard. The Hotel location provides easy access to the local “T” stop. If you return, perhaps you can try one trick for parking – street parking at a meter is Free after 6 pm and Free on Sundays and Holidays. While the availability of the metered spots is limited, it provides another option.

Cynphin, I greatly appreciate your taking the time to post your comments on TripAdvisor so we can better learn how to improve our Hotel. I hope to see you on a return trip soon.

Kind regards,

John Wilmoth

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
  • Korean first
Arlington, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

I stayed here for two nights in conjunction with a company meeting. I organized the company meeting and the meeting facilities as well as the bedrooms were great. The hotel is a block and a half from the Kendall/MIT MBTA Red Line station and a short cab ride from Logan Airport. The area is rapidly developing and there are plentt of restaurants and a 7-11 within walking distance.

• 5 of 5 stars
RI-Cambridge-GM, General Manager at Residence Inn Boston Cambridge, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
Dear Dharmithran,

Thank you for providing feedback about your meeting experience here at the Residence Inn Boston Cambridge. I think of our location as the best little kept secret when it comes to company meetings, as our conference space is larger than most Residence Inn Hotels, accompanied by a full catering menu.

I truly appreciate the opportunity to host your group, and look forward to having you back in the near future.

Westfield, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

We took our 3 grandchildren to Boston for a 4 day 3 night trip highlighting American history and doing fun things (Duck tour, Museum of Science, NE Aquarium, USS Constitution, Boston Common, Fenway Park tour and more). Kids are two 10 year old boys (cousins) and 7 year old granddaughter. Needless to say there was a lot of stored up energy between the two boys, who do not get together that frequently. We took a two bedroom suite (750 SF) that gave us 2BR, 2 full baths, LR, kitchen and lots of space yet still allowed privacy. We were 2 blocks from the Kendall "T" red line subway, which is a short 2 stop trip to the Boston Common and linked to other lines. The room included a free hot breakfast, internet, dinner (T-Th) and an indoor pool with hot tub. We put the van in the parking deck next to the hotel on Tues. morning and did not take it out until our Friday departure. The price is $25/day to park but it is clearly stated by the hotel and very easy to use with the proximity card pass. Our grandchildren enjoyed the subway as another part of the adventure.

The bottom line is for the cost of a room on the Long Wharf, we had a suite in Cambridge with hot breakfast, internet, dinner and indoor pool in a very safe neighborhood next to the MIT campus. We both feel the 2BR suite ($359/night the third week of August) was a great value and made our trip with grandchildren much more enjoyable.

Extra Tip - 7 Day Link Pass a Super Value - Because we were using the Boston Subway from Cambridge Kendall /MIT stop we chose the 7Day Link Pass. It was only $18 for an adult for unlimited rides on the subway, busses and the ferry to Charlestown Navy Yard (USS Constitution & Museum) from Long Wharf. Kids 11 and under are free when travelling with adults. This was a very efficient way to get around and saved us a fortune in cab fares.

Room Tip: We were on the 12th floor in the corner near the elevators, which was sunny with a nice view. The p...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear HappyTravellerNJ,

I am so thrilled that we could provide accommodations for you and your grandchildren to help make some memories. It truly seems as if you made the most of your American history tour around our great city, and the Two Bedroom suite gave everybody enough room to relax at the end of the day.

Thank you for taking your time to post about your visit on TripAdvisor.

Warm regards,

Sao Paulo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

I spent several weeks here and had a great experience.

Frontdesk: Everybody was very nice and very helpful - maybe the best frontdesk I've ever encountered and it's hard to be flawless for several weeks.

Rooms: I got the one without the walls (it's like a loft). It's great. You get a big refrigerator, microwave, oven, two tables (one for work and one for the kitchen - both have outlets so you can work wherever you want) and a sink.

It was very well designed and I actually felt it had more space than I needed.

Extra Services: The cool thing is that they shop for you. You write what you want from the supermarket and they bring it to your room during the day. In Cambridge you can also get almost anything online, but that was certainly handy. They also accept pets - this never bothered me.

Food:

Breakfast: It's a standard hotel breakfast. It's not outstanding, but you have bagels, donuts, eggs, cereal, waffles; lots of choices. You can also take plastic plates or cups to your room.
If you prefer Marriott's breakfast, you can just walk a block and eat there (not for free).

Stuff to buy: The frontdesk has an assortment of quick foods to buy. Instant noodles, chips, ice cream, power bars and what not - it helps a lot.
Room service: ATTENTION. No room service, You may order from many restaurants nearby and they bring the food to your room, so it's almost the same thing. But if you realy need room service, you may not like it.

Location: Great location. Starbucks fans have 2 stores withing 2 blocks (one is right beside the hotel). MiT and the Coop store (with study supplies, restaurants, haircuts, books, magazines, etc..) is very close. The subway is also very close and with the subway (or even by foot) you can go around most of Cambridge and Boston very quickly.

Wireless Internet: I was a little worried about that, but I had a great experience. It worked well for the entire stay. There is a minor annoyance in which you have to login again every day to make it work, but that's a standard in most hotels and it takes about 10 seconds.

I spent several weeks there and found a couple minor issues. Still, I think they deserve the 5 stars (if I become too nitpicky I'll never 5 star anybody):

Housekeeping: Twice they entered the room very quickly without much of a warning (once they tried to zap through the door and once they knocked for 1 second and then came in - both times they got stopped by that little chain, but pretty much ignored the Do Not Disturb sign). That happened to me in other hotels before. Since I spent most of the time in my room working or studying I figured this is something that happens. I'm not gonna break my 5 stars, but this may be a deal breaker for some.

Gym: It was a small nice gym, but one of the "exercises" in the main machine was broken and they didn't seem to have that figured out.
If you require a more hardcore gym, you have options close by.

Even with some minor issuances, I was very pleased with the hotel. I would definitely stay there again. I think it is good for any category, but especially helpful for business travellers and students.

PS: I didn't use their computers or printer services, so I can't comment on that.

1 Thank TheBrazlilianTourist
Lisbon, Portugal
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

I stayed one month here while studying in a MIT Summer immersion. And the conditions are awesome. The room has a nice size and had everything that I needed, and even more. The staff is very helpful and the recent remodelation made it even more attractive. However rooms there was some noise from the constrution site next to it and the rooms heading south have a horrible view!!

Room Tip: Ask for the North rooms on the top floors.
    • 4 of 5 stars
RI-Cambridge-GM, General Manager at Residence Inn Boston Cambridge, responded to this review, August 12, 2013
Dear DaNiiVii,

Thank you for staying with us while you attended your one month course at MIT. I am so glad that you enjoyed the spacious room during your stay, and will be certain to pass your comments about the staff along during our morning meeting tomorrow. Thank you for commenting about the recent renovations of the Lobby and Gatehouse. The overall design and décor is quite impressive, and I am pleased you had a chance to enjoy it.

In regards to the construction next to the Hotel, a majority of the exterior work was recently completed, and the project is now focused only on the interior of the building. If you have any specific comments about the noise, please feel free to contact me directly so I can pass them along to the Construction Manager.

Hopefully you will return for another course next year, and we will look forward to having you and the rest of the group back. Your time in posting your visit to TripAdvisor is greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,

San Juan, Puerto Rico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013 via mobile

We once again stayed in the Residence Inn this time for the 4th of july. We arrived early and this time with our pet. The hotel staff at the front desk arranged a room immediately and we were able to have breakfast. I had always wanted to see the fireworks and was able to walk past MIT and be right in the Charles river scene without the Boston multitude. There were take aways and plenty of water bottles for free on the front desk on the 4th of july! As always the staff at the breakfast area was extremely courteous and helped getting anything that had been finished in the breakfast area. My wife and kids liked the remodeled room as it felt bigger. Even thou we nos have a place to stay in new hampshire we will return to the residence inn hopefully soon.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Windermere, fl
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

The staff was not helpful. Additionally, according to the staff ALL the 2 bedrooms are tucked into a corner with claustrophobic view of the building next door. The internet was free but quite slow. At times, I had a hard time connecting with an iPad. I would stay somewhere else.

Room Tip: If you want a two bedroom, chose another hotel.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Philip M
Dear Philip M,

First, I would like to apologize for the inconveniences you experienced. I am disappointed to hear that you found the staff unhelpful, and I would like to obtain more feedback regarding this. Please contact me directly at the Hotel so that I can address your concerns. Providing memorable service should be part of our daily routine, and I look forward to hearing your remarks.

I am sorry that your internet connectivity was less than satisfactory. I am very pleased to inform you that we have begun an entire replacement of the Hotel’s wireless internet system. Our new system, which will be operational this week, will feature an option to purchase additional speed. I agree that providing a solid and consistent high-speed experience is part of the core deliverable. The Hotel ownership group has made a significant investment in this system to provide a high quality service.

Thank you again for taking the time to post your comments so that I may address these issues.