“Slipping”

Residence Inn Boston Cambridge
Ranked #14 of 20 Hotels in Cambridge
Reviewed June 27, 2011

Stayed here a few years ago, and was very impressed. Not as good this time. Room I had was much smaller - absolutely no counter space around sink, which is outside of shower/toilet, and no place to put your glasses down in there either. Breakfast is free, but eggs are undercooked and coffee is watery. Electric outlets in room were loose. Still a good place when you need more room than a standard hotel, but not as good as I remember.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
RI-Cambridge-GM, General Manager at Residence Inn Boston Cambridge, responded to this reviewResponded June 30, 2011

Dear NewYorkCityGriff,

Thank you for choosing to return to the Residence Inn Boston Cambridge for your recent visit to the Cambridge area. I appreciate your repeat loyalty, and especially your taking the time to provide feedback about your stay. I apologize that the quality of the eggs and coffee on the breakfast buffet. I have brought your comments to the attention of the Food and Beverage Supervisor, so that he may continue to train his staff on maintaining high standards.

I would also like to address the issue regarding the electrical outlets in the room, and am hopeful that you can contact me via email or phone at the Hotel to provide your specific information.

Thank you again for providing such valuable feedback. I look forward to hearing from you soon so that I may address the guest room issue.

Kind regards,

John Wilmoth

There are newer reviews for Residence Inn Boston Cambridge

Reviewed June 15, 2011

We took our 2 adult children, their spouses and the grandchildren (ages 4 thru 6) to Boston over Memorial Day weekend. The Residence Inn was a great place to stay--near the T (subway), with comfortable rooms and a friendly staff.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank TJCGrandRapids
Reviewed June 13, 2011

In town for just one night. Very good location, very clean, great service. Parking is over priced like all of Boston. Over all Very good. I would go back ina minute.

• Stayed: April 2011
Reviewed May 11, 2011

I stayed there for business for 3 nights in May. When I arrived, the front desk attendant was very friendly and informed me about the free breakfast and nightly happy hours. The first thing I noticed upon stepping out of the elevator was the strong smell of food and spices(i think middle eastern). It didn't really bother me too much until I got inside the room and the smell had permeated into my room. Later in the night, when I stepped out for dinner, I asked if I could be moved but they were booked solid and said they'd try to do something about the smell by deoderizing the hall and my room. When I came back from dinner, the smell was still there. The guests cooked every day that I was there so the smell never went away and my clothes would smell like food even when i was inside my room.

Other than the food smell, the room was decent and clean. The space was very large with a separate bedroom and a flat screen in both the living room and the bedroom. The HD channels weren't working in the bedroom TV but that wasn't a big deal. The wireless wasn't very fast but serviceable and free, so no complaints. I wish they offered the ability to connect to a wired internet but I didn't see one (I didn't look very hard and might have missed it).

Housekeeping: The housekeepers never cleaned my room the second day I was there. I left at 8am and didnt' leave a "do not disturb" sign on the knob so I'm not sure why they didn't come by.

Amenities: The business lounge has plenty of space with 2 comps with very large screens. I didn't use the computers but they looked fairly new. There's also an indoor pool and a small gym with some free weights and a couple treadmills and bikes.

Parking: There is a self service parking garage right next to the hotel. My only problem with it being self service is that you have to pay everytime you leave instead of a standard daily rate. I parked at 3pm after a meeting and paid $18 when i left to go to dinner at 6pm. I again parked at 8pm and had to pay $24 when I left at 8am the following morning. Usually, parking garages will only charge a daily rate and you can come in and leave as often as you want but that's not the case here. Paying $42 within a less than 24hr period is ridiculous, and I'm from NYC where parking rates are outrageous. Needless to say, I left the car in the garage the following day and walked to work instead.

This would be an ideal hotel if you're staying for a long period of time since it has a full kitchen. Not really up to standards as a hotel while traveling for business.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
RI-Cambridge-GM, General Manager at Residence Inn Boston Cambridge, responded to this reviewResponded May 19, 2011

Dear tkm616,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Residence Inn Boston Cambridge for business in May.
I greatly appreciate your taking the time to provide feedback about your stay, and your perspective as a regular business traveler is helpful. I was disappointed to learn that you experienced a strong smell of food and spices. Being an extended stay Hotel, we have many international guests staying for an extended amount of time. I apologize for the inconveniences you experienced with the bedroom television and the housekeeping service. I have asked both the Director of Engineering and the Housekeeping Manager to investigate and address these issues.
I have recently completed a traffic study of our high-speed internet traffic patterns. A new high-speed internet circuit was installed this week has doubled the Hotel's total internet traffic capacity. In regards to parking, it is unfortunate that the Hotel does not own or have any affiliation with the public parking garage behind the Hotel. We have purchased a limited number of parking passes that enable guests to park and have the charges billed to the guest room. This structure allows for a flat nightly rate, and the passes are available on a first come first served basis.
Thank you again for taking the time to provide such valuable feedback. I am glad that you found the Front Desk associate to be friendly and informative. We look forward to the opportunity to serve you again.
Kind regards,

John Wilmoth

Reviewed May 8, 2011

Spend one night at the hotel while spending the weekend in Boston. I was able to get a great deal thought Priceline and have no complaints. The suite itself was large and clean, with a pretty good view. The bed may have been one of the most comfortable I have ever had while spending the night in a hotel. The staff was great. Just an all around nice stay. I just wish we spend our second night there and not downtown.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 7, 2011

You can travel around Boston very easily from this hotel. The train station and bus station are just few meters away. The room is well equiped with a nice kitchen and comfortable bed and flows into a living room.
Had problem with the flush even after repair it was not working and the hotel room itself looks it's age. The buffet doesnt have great variety. But these can be neglected as it is in the heart of the city and easy to travel around.Good value for money.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed May 5, 2011

After reading a few other reviews and checking out a street view of the address using Google Maps, I was mildly concerned about the location of the hotel. (It seemed to be located in a dull business zone with very little foot traffic and few dining options.) I was pleasantly surprised to discover that my concerns were largely unfounded.

Although it's far from vibrant, especially late at night, the location is perfectly adequate for visitors who would like to be somewhat near both downtown Boston and Harvard Square. (With the Kendall Station subway stop just around the corner, the hotel is less than 10 minutes from both destinations.) Moreover, there are at least a dozen decent restaurants within a few blocks of the hotel. But some of those restaurants close early, soon after most of the geeks who work for the various high-tech firms in the neighborhood head home for the day. (Translation: The neighborhood seems fairly quiet within a few hours after nightfall. Still, I felt safe walking to and from the subway stop.)

As for the quality and condition of the hotel itself, again I was pleasantly surprised. My room was very attractive, clean and comfortable. The free breakfast buffet was decent. Ditto for the manager's reception (featuring free burgers) that was offered during one night of my stay. Also, unlike at some other mid-priced hotels that offer free breakfast, there was ample space in the dining room to accommodate the crowds.

My only complaint is that the icemaker in the refridgerator in my room didn't work well. (It only produced four or five tiny ice cubes over the course of a three-night stay!) No biggie.

Given that my nightly room rate was more than $100 less expensive than the rates at comparable hotels closer to the hustle and bustle of downtown Boston, I would definitely stay at the Residence Inn again if I couldn't find a bargain rate for a room in a somewhat more vibrant neighborhood.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled solo