“Good location, nice room but intermittent wifi”

Harvard Square Hotel
Ranked #14 of 19 Hotels in Cambridge
Reviewed October 24, 2013

Well located in Harvard Square close to the prestigious Harvard University. The double bed room is spacious and cozy. The elevator was out-of-order but the receptionist (Lisa) kindly offered complimentary refreshments to make up for it.

The wifi was acting up initially, and I had trouble getting on. It stabilized eventually.

Room rates are on the high side, but that is normal for Boston.

Room Tip: Parking may be problematic.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed October 23, 2013

The room was big and clean, but there was no paper/pen at the phone and no channel guide to the TV. The bathroom was big, but there were not enough surfaces, just one short glass shelf. Free Internet, but no ethernet plug. I didn't downgrade the hotel because the elevator wasn't working on the two days I was there, but that could be a show stopper for some. Not great, not terrible. Good location if you have a Harvard purpose. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: My room was on the street side, but it was quiet so maybe location doesn't matter much.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed October 20, 2013

This is generally a pleasant hotel, particularly if you are doing business at Harvard. The location is perfect, just a block or so off campus. The front desk staff was very friendly and helpful with restaurant recommendations and cabs. The rooms were clean and well decorated. Bed was comfortable and the blackout shades kept the room nice and dark. Only 2 things kept me from giving this hotel a top rating: 1) The room was a bit noisy. I could hear the bar across the street and the alarm from the room next door. 2) For a room of this price ($300+/night), I would expect some food service in the hotel other than a self serve coffee area in the lobby. It's not a big deal because there are a number of coffee shops and restaurants just a few steps outside the front door. But if you want to relax with room service, you won't find that.
Overall, it was nice and I would stay here again.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed October 13, 2013

The central and eponymous location is the biggest asset of this hotel. We stayed in a conveniently remodeled room that met all the basic needs we had. Other than that the service was good and the Wifi is free so we did get value for the not inexpensive price. My only gripe would be the ragged towels that were well past their prime and should have been retired some time ago.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed October 13, 2013

This is my first trip to US and I chose to stay in Harvard Square Hotel by instinct. Taxi drivers has been keeping my change because as a tourist who just arrived, I don't have small change. My distasteful experience happened with the 3rd taxi driver coming back from Burlington Mall using Burlington/Brentwood taxi. I was charged USD75 and was asked for a tip as well (USD5 was given hence) even though I heard the Despatch saying a flat-rate of USD65 applies when the driver called via the radio. When I verified with him, the driver said it's USD75 and expecting to be tipped as well. He also rationalized with me why different taxi companies charges differently.

After more than an hour of searching for my hotel, I suggested the driver to call the hotel for direction. He DON'T have a cell phone! Luckily I had just purchased a pre-paid SIM for my phone. Finally arrived at the hotel after more than an hour of unofficial tour of Cambridge! I hadn't slept for more than 36 hours since leaving home!

Bill & Maher at FrontOffice checked with me and found the taxi driver had overcharged unreasonably. Swiftly, they called the taxi company and verified the actual authorized rate. The Despatch made the taxi driver to come back to the hotel to refund the USD15!

Bill & Maher, thanks a lot for saving my day and alter my impression of service in Boston!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank KK H
Reviewed October 9, 2013

Location is great, rooms are clean and comfortable enough. The staff were friendly. But there was a basic lack of care evident at this place which was really disappointing. The (awful) coffee and granola bars that were offered as breakfast were not complimentary - as they have been at every other place we have stayed at. Nor were there tea and coffee making facilities in the room. Normally there would be information in the room about TV channels, how the air conditioning works - and maybe a bit of local service information. Here ? Nothing. Not even information about phone call rates. Parking was $35 a night.

I wouldn't mind all this if it was a cheap place. But it was three times the cost of other places that we have stayed at on this trip. And while the rooms are OK, it's awful feeling gouged

By the way - rooms opposite lifts are noisy. And while our room was theoretically disabled accessible, it had a step in bath and no drain hole in the bathroom area outside the bath.

Room Tip: Check disabled access carefully. Don't get room opposite lift.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed October 3, 2013

Harvard Square Hotel has had major renovations, and we enjoyed a large, well-appointed corner room with nice city views.... pleasantly surprised from previous stays, which were ok, but nothing special. The king bed was very comfortable. A min-fridge was part of the desk ensemble. Staff was welcoming and helpful with a delayed check-out til 2 pm. The Harvard Square location can't be beat.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple