“Part The Red Sea”

Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed April 8, 2013

I know Ethiopian food well and was pleased to find that this restaurant has good dishes, and even uncommon ones such as Kitfo, a spiced raw or barely cooked beef dish with berbere a spicy pepper treat. (Theirs was tasty, but seemed well-cooked, perhaps for legal/health reasons.) Food was very good, though I have had better. Decor was among the most genuine I have encountered, but the service was lacking in both promptitude and attentiveness. In fairness, that was the 'luck of the draw' as the server tending to the neighboring table seemed to be doing a fine job. One plus, all personnel were Ethiopian and that should and did insure food properly prepared.

Reviewed January 2, 2013

We have been to all of the Ethiopian restaurants in the Boston area and Addis is definitely good, but not the best. We ordered a number of sampler dishes to get a good sense of the food. We found the food to be good, but not fantastic, on the smallish side, and overpriced. One solid negative was that we ordered Kifto (beef tartare which is a RAW dish) and it arrived well done. That was extremely disappointing. They have a small but nice selection of beer and wine, including two non-alcoholic beers (Buckler and Kaliber).

They have a decent selection of vegetarian (Vegan) and meat based dishes but only two fish dishes.

I see where street parking could be an issue, but the night we went we had rock star parking (found a spot right outside). We were there the minute they opened on a Monday night and unfortunately the place hadn't warmed up yet so we spent the meal with our jackets on as it was freezing in there, to the point that it was unpleasant.

The waitress was very friendly and the food arrived reasonably soon. The ambiance was nice with some faux candles on the table and some sparse Ethiopian (I assume) decorations.

I might go here again if I were in the neighborhood, but since I drive in to Boston, I would go to a different Ethiopian restaurant.

Reviewed November 13, 2012

This is the only Ethiopian restaurant I've ever been to, so my sample size couldn't be smaller, but I absolutely loved this place. We tried a wide varieties of appetizers and sauces, and I could not get enough of the squishy bread that everything comes on. The Ethiopian beer was great too. One caution, I would not get the cracked wheat, it was boring. I wished I had ordered some more lamb dished, yum! The atmosphere was fun, you eat on small traditional basket tables.

Reviewed August 28, 2012

I came here with a groupon which is very possibly why the service was so slow. The place was packed and many other tables were using groupons too. We arrived at 7pm on a Sunday and had to wait 20 minutes for a table-we didn't mind in the least as we hadn't had a reservation. After being seated it took another 20 minutes for us to flag down a waitress to take our order. After both waitresses refused to take our order the Maitre d' finally came over. All and all we were there for 3 hours.

The service was slow and not terribly friendly but the food was good! We started with a spicy cottage cheese appetizer that was excellent followed by the Red Sea combination place. The meat dishes were beautifully flavored and tender. The lentil dish was a throw away.

The food was good enough that I'll be back despite the wait. Hopefully next time it will be less crowded.

Reviewed August 22, 2012

I love Ethiopian food and I got this deal online while I was traveling to Boston. We had a great meal and the staff was great. They gave us an extra dish, which also was delicious. Cons: They need to make improvements in the place, the Atmosphere is not so friendly. They also need parking lot.