“No wifi in some rooms, dishonest staff and management”

Cambridge Gateway Inn
Ranked #19 of 20 Hotels in Cambridge
Cambridge, Massachusetts
“No wifi in some rooms, dishonest staff and management”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2014

They didn't honor the special rate they had on their website, claiming it's only during nights with high availability (even though I stayed there on midweek day and the parking lot was empty).

Then they put me in a room with no wifi even though they claimed all rooms have free wifi. They made excuses that I have a firewall, then suggested I should open the door and use the wifi in the hallway, and lied that I was the only one complaining (after I heard other people in the lobby complaining they can't use the wifi in the room). After walking with my laptop in the hallway I realized there is wifi access in the front rooms but not the back ones. I insisted to switch rooms and they lied again that they are sold out. It took a while but eventually they moved me to one of the rooms near the lobby and finally I had wifi.

About their rooms. Many reviewers already mentioned the bad smell and other things. It didn't bother me too much. What did bother me was safety, the rooms are on the first floor and there is a very easy to break lock on the windows, all you need is applying some force on it. Not recommended for females traveling alone and never leave any valuables in the room when you're away.

Room Tip: Stay near the lobby if you want wifi in the room.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Yuval M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2014

I cannot begin to express how gross this hotel was... The bedding was dirty, there was no hot water, the carpet was dirty, everything was dirty... Very run down. And I even tried to get their nicest room. Paying extra for a suite.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Eric G

Travelers are raving about these Cambridge hotels

Wellington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2014

This hotel was given to us by Days Hotel. It is an older hotel. The lady at reception was very friendly and helpful. We took a non smoking room on the ground floor. Room was tired and basic. Beds were comfortable and clean although the pillows were hard. On mentioning this to the lady at reception she said the staff put the pillows through the washing machine. Tea and coffee was available 24/7 which was good. Basic breakfast in the foyer which you had to take back to your room to eat. Price was okay. Hotel is away from the metro station but within driving distance, you can park and ride. The hotel does provide a shuttle to and from the metro station but the service hadn't started when we were there.

Room Tip: Rooms away from the smoking rooms would be preferable.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Havijack
Bangor, Maine, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 22, 2013

I came to Boston for a weekend and I checked in late on Friday. I was shocked when I heard that the hotel has no hot water. The hot water pump Is broken. It was very late and I had a very busy weekend. I could not go anywhere at 1:00 clock in the morning on Saturday, the day of check in, also I have meetings throughout the weekend so trying to go to another hotel was very difficult for me. So, I checked in and it was very painful to have a shower with cold water in November. When I asked to have a discount, my request was denied.

This is in addition having a big cockroach in the bathroom waiting for me when to come in to the room.

Also, I had to change the first room that they assigned to me as it smelt very bad as if the previous customer was smoking in the non smoking room.

My advice, search for another hotel.

I have no idea how the hill this hotel is still there in Cambridge, Boston USA. It is a shame.

Room Tip: Don't check in. Search for another hotel.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank Ahmed R
New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2013

But close to it. Old, decrepit, broken, stained, disgusting. First room, no water in the faucet. Second room, the faucet came off in my hand. Third room, faucet worked, but the room smelled odd. We checked the bed for bugs first.

Got stuck with out a hotel, and they had a coupon so we tried it. They refused to honor the coupon. The manager was a very nasty person, as if she was doing us a favor by letting us stay in this dump and overcharging us for the privilege. Go elsewhere. Seriously, go elsewhere.

Room Tip: There is no good room here. None.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank StoicTraveler
Warsaw, Poland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2013

Worst place I have ever been to and ended up paying 97$ to stay there. The hallways were stuffy and smelly. The carpets in the hallways remember the Civil War. The room was ok. The towels were white, no stains and the sheets were white but don't know if they were washed. Someone mentioned in their review about drug dealers at the hotel. Yes, possibly they were there in room 218 but they didn't offer us anything. There were people going in and out of their rooms until at least 1am, slamming their door. We stayed there because we wanted to be near Harvard and it was late. In a rush to get a hotel room I forgot to check the reviews on Tripadvisor otherwise I would have never stayed there. The hotel should be torn down immediately.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank joannakl1
Zürich, Zurich, Switzerland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2013

Terrible! The worst stay of my life!!! Air condition did not work and room was unbearable hot and smelly. Insects were crawling in the bed! I reported it to the management which was extremely unfriendly and did not solve any issues. I decided to leave. Manager refused to give any refund. In a nutshell, I got screwed. Tempted to take this to court.
Avoid to stay there at all costs!!!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank sepp290
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cambridge
Freepoint Hotel
Charles Hotel
Charles Hotel
#3 of 20 in Cambridge
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,485 reviews

Been to Cambridge Gateway Inn? Share your experiences!