“Not The Worst Dump Ever”

Cambridge Gateway Inn
Ranked #19 of 20 Hotels in Cambridge
New York
“Not The Worst Dump Ever”
Reviewed September 22, 2013

But close to it. Old, decrepit, broken, stained, disgusting. First room, no water in the faucet. Second room, the faucet came off in my hand. Third room, faucet worked, but the room smelled odd. We checked the bed for bugs first.

Got stuck with out a hotel, and they had a coupon so we tried it. They refused to honor the coupon. The manager was a very nasty person, as if she was doing us a favor by letting us stay in this dump and overcharging us for the privilege. Go elsewhere. Seriously, go elsewhere.

Room Tip: There is no good room here. None.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank StoicTraveler

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Warsaw, Poland
Reviewed September 4, 2013

Worst place I have ever been to and ended up paying 97$ to stay there. The hallways were stuffy and smelly. The carpets in the hallways remember the Civil War. The room was ok. The towels were white, no stains and the sheets were white but don't know if they were washed. Someone mentioned in their review about drug dealers at the hotel. Yes, possibly they were there in room 218 but they didn't offer us anything. There were people going in and out of their rooms until at least 1am, slamming their door. We stayed there because we wanted to be near Harvard and it was late. In a rush to get a hotel room I forgot to check the reviews on Tripadvisor otherwise I would have never stayed there. The hotel should be torn down immediately.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank joannakl1

Travelers are raving about these Cambridge hotels

Zürich, Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed July 23, 2013

Terrible! The worst stay of my life!!! Air condition did not work and room was unbearable hot and smelly. Insects were crawling in the bed! I reported it to the management which was extremely unfriendly and did not solve any issues. I decided to leave. Manager refused to give any refund. In a nutshell, I got screwed. Tempted to take this to court.
Avoid to stay there at all costs!!!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank sepp290
Philly Area
Reviewed June 30, 2013

I booked this hotel, but then called to cancel my reservation after reading the review on this forum. They gave me a cancellation number which I thankfully recorded. I noticed that my credit card was charged and no refund was issued. I called and was given a lame excuse about how it was because I was booked for a group event. In any case, had I not followed up, I would have been charged for a cancelled booking. I would not trust this establishment at all!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank AndiPhillyArea
South Orange, New Jersey
Reviewed June 29, 2013

My son and I were directed to this hotel by another hotel that overbooked its rooms. As soon as we stepped inside, there was a horrible odor. There were large, unsightly stains on the carpet. There was a washer/dryer in the hallway. The dryer was not properly ventilated and the hallway was muggy and hot. Our room was no better. It was clear the carpet had not been cleaned for some time, and there were cigarette burns on the edges. The bathroom did not appear to be clean, and there was a faint odor in the room. Even though it was 1 am, I promptly turned around and returned the keys to this dump. I would rather my son slept in our car. The place was filthy and unsanitary and I was very concerned about our safety. I don't know how they can call this a hotel. It should have been condemned long ago. I wish I had had the presence of mind to take pictures, because the pictures on the website are entirely misleading, but my only thought at the time was getting out of there as quickly as possible. I strongly discourage anyone from staying at this place. It is beyond awful. I cringe every time at the thought of that hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank SweetPea609
Silver Spring, Maryland
Reviewed June 27, 2013

My friend and he son had a terrible experience , checking in early Wednesday morning . It had a unsanitary oder , was very noisy. The described the rooms as very dingy and concerned about bugs ad rodents . Please if you get directed from another hotel in the area due to overbooking , please request another hotel. Also take note to the hotel that redirected , as not having much consideration for your business.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Richard41378
Reviewed September 29, 2012

Why it can be zero?
Why Public Health allow such a place to be open?
On top of all that, the owner is very rude. I was given a weekly rate and 4 days later asked to pay another $300 with the allegation that the employee made a mistake.
STAY AWAY!
You better off sleep in the gas station rest area. Its cleaner and safer.

• Stayed September 2012
10 Thank traveller9900
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cambridge
Freepoint Hotel
Charles Hotel
Charles Hotel
#3 of 20 in Cambridge
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,541 reviews

Been to Cambridge Gateway Inn? Share your experiences!