“Near Nothing - terrible breakfast service....” 3 of 5 bubbles

Hyatt Regency Cambridge, Overlooking Boston
Ranked #10 of 20 Hotels in Cambridge
GreenLeadersSilver level
New Jersey, USA
“Near Nothing - terrible breakfast service....”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2010

We stayed 2 nights and the room is clean and comfortable. Hotel is a $9 or more cab ride to Boston or Harvard Square. There is shuttle that will drive you to the Harvard Square or Kendall/MIT but it only runs till 6pm. The female driver, Lucinda, was rude when we called to be picked up. We waited 45 minutes and she said she was busy. It is 5 minutes away from the hotel. The breakfast was good, not great but the staff is unable to meet the demands of the hotel at breakfast time. Empty tables and a confused staff seem to be the norm. They not get it. I think a Hyatt with that many rooms can handle breakfast crowds. I stayed 2 weeks ago at the Hyatt in Chicago and it was much more professionally runned.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank usmom
MichaelHickeyGM, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Cambridge, Overlooking Boston, responded to this review, August 27, 2010
Hello,

Thank you for the review of your recent stay. I am sorry to hear of the difficulties you had during your time with us and would like the opportunity to discuss this with you in further detail. Please feel free to contact me at michael.hickey@hyatt.com or by phone at 617-441-6400.

Regards,

Michael Hickey

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (458)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Miami Beach, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2010

parking 38 a day 35 self parking, such a discount ! Beds old. no fitted sheets. Flat sheets that peel up every night.
room not really clean and up to Hyatt standards. Or maybe this is the new Hyatt standards. Food ok Staff is ok, but no real desire to make your day a bit nicer.
its a 2 star at best, dont pay 3-4 starts for this place. I was completely disappointed with the cleanliness and the people there.
Shuttle is not really available there was a hour wait every time and the T is 15 minute walk. Luckly the weather was perfect to we used the T. Drinks at bar seemed watered down. I had a martini just to see if it had that kick, it didnt. at $14 a drink for the good stuff.
Not much you can do about all of that, except clean the rooms and building. Next time not here !

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank jleifer
New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2010

Yes - the long promised renewal of this dowdy property is taking place, and I can happily report that the rooms have been refreshed, the old tube tv's ditched in favor of newer, sleeker flat panels, and the bedding and room decor appear to have been upgraded as well.

Still, this hotel is less than ideal. First off, I've stayed at this hotel at least 15 nites over the past 12 months, and not once has the reception or manager of the hotel reached out to me to thank me for my loyalty.

Second, the reception area and hotel restaurant have not been updated in a similar fashion to the rooms. There is something very mediocre about this hotel's public spaces, and it contributes to a less than great experience.

Boston is an expensive hotel town, and the Hyatt Cambridge does deliver on price, and now, more so on comfort within the room, but please, it's 2010 - there are these sophisticated devices called computers that run these programs called databases that should alert a hotel to a frequent guests loyalty - and yes I will flatly penalize this property for not doing that. This is poor management.

Health club is relatively bare bones but frequented by many guests and good enought to work up a sweat. The pool looks swimable, but there is a chemically smell that i don't 100% trust - maybe next visit?

Self Parking is $35 per nite - I would say outlandish, but really, in this day and age, everyone is looking to put the screws to the customer.

If you're in need of a decent hotel in a decent part of town (not really close to the action in Cambridge proper, but overlooking the river and city) and don't want to break the bank - do stay with confidence.

- t'man 2010

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
Merrimack, New Hampshire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2010

We stayed at the Hyatt Regency in late July for our daughter's wedding. She and her husband chose this location and it was beautiful to say the least. First let me comment on the wedding and service at the reception:

*The ceremony itself was originally going to be in the courtyard, but due to the high heat and humidity of July in New England this year, the decision was made several weeks earlier to hold it in the tent on the grounds. This was not a rental tent, but a semi-permanent structure with a doors, floor, draped ceiling, special lighting, and most important of all, air conditioning. The on-site wedding planner was very attentive to all requests.

**The reception was held on the 16th floor (penthouse) ballroom of the hotel overlooking the Charles River and the Boston skyline. The view was fabulous. The overall quality of the food and service was the best that we have ever seen. This was not your typicial hotel banquet food, but more like that of an upscale restaurant in presentation, taste, and service. Again the on-site wedding planner was terrific.

***The rehearsal was held the evening before the wedding and the dinner was held at the hotel in a private room. In addition to a plated dinner of several outstanding selections, the party had access to the seafood buffet adjacent to the room. Once again, the food and service were top notch.

****We hosted a farewell breafast for those wedding guests who stayed overnight in the hotel. We were provided with a private room which once again had excellent service. The party ate from the buffet that is provided each Sunday morning. The quality and presentation were again outstanding although the staff did seem a bit overwhelmed with the high volume at at times had some minor difficulties keeping all items replenished.

The wedding itself had close to 100 guests and of those, close to thirty of us stayed one or more nights at the hotel. Some overall comments on our stay:

*We were given a special wedding rate of $120 per night which is considerably less that the regular weekend rate.
**We did experience some concernswith the front desk staff:
1.) Although the hotel has a 4 p.m. check-in, both our on-line correspondence and
converstation with front desk staff led us to believe that a 3 p.m. check-in
would be possible. We did have the rehearsal scheduled for later Friday
afternoon and needed to freshen up after travel. Unfortunately upon arrival at 3
p.m., our room was ready, but my in-laws was not. We heard the same story
from several other guests at the wedding. It certainly did not leave us with a
positive first impression of the hotel.

2.) Guests who book this hotel should be aware that overnight parking in the
garage is $35 per night. We were indeed aware of it and arranged for our
parking charages to be included for everyone who was attending the
wedding including those who were staying overnight. My ticket was taken
when we checked in and we were given a plastic card to exit the parking
garage. I was assured that it was validated and that I would have no
problem coming and going. When we went to leave the garage Saturday
morning flor a little side trip the automated gate would not accept the plastic
card and wanted me to pay $35 via credit card. No thanks. Fourtunately no
one was behind my car and I could back up into the garage (not really a safe
thing to do) and reparked the car and went to the front desk. Although it was
taken care of, I was somehow made to feel that it was my fault that the
employee the day before had not handled this.

3.) When we went to check out on Sunday, the desk clerk had some difficulty
understanding that it was agreed that the entire wedding and our rooms were
to be on one bill. He tried to charge me separately for the rooms and I
certainly did not want to pay twice. After some computer searching, he did find
the proper notation.

4.) My mother in law is 4'10" and is in her 80's with some health issues. The king
size bed was beautiful, but it was on a platform that was quite high. When I
inquired at the desk if there could be some kind of stool brought to her room, I
was told that they would look into it. No stool was ever delivered nor was any
call made giving an explanation.

*** Although the summer has been very hot for days on end, one would think that
a major hotel that has recently been renovated would have an air conditioning
system that could keep up with the demand. My in-laws may have appreciated their
room being in the mid-seventies, we did not!

****I must admit that I did not read previous Trip Advisor reviews until after our stay. Usually I take Trip Advisor into consideration when booking a hotel or motel. Unlike some others who had cleanliness issues, we found the hotel to be clean and up to date in furnishings. I must admit I was some upset when my daughter chose this location several months ago as the Hyatt had just terminated all of their housekeeping staff and hired an outside firm (maybe that is why rooms were not ready in a timely fashion). I only agreed to using the Hyatt because it was her wedding and not mine!

Would I recommend this hotel for a wedding? Yes without reservation! Would I recommend it to a friend for an overnight stay? I am not so sure!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank tip
Long Island
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2010

We really enjoyed this hotel. If you can get a balcony room, go for it. Very large balcony with spectacular views. The highlight of the stay. Very nice staff from top to bottom. Troubling was the fact that both days we got back to room between 4 and 5 and the room was untouched by housekeeping. Very strange. We got a comp breakfast after complaining the 1st day. A nice $34 savings for the great breakfast buffet. The 2nd full day the same thing happened. Very weird. Another comp eased our pain. The only thing iffy about the hotel is that there is nothing around it, though I knew that coming in. They have a free shuttle that takes you to Harvard Yard or the MIT T which is super. All in all a very nice hotel.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Munich
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2010

We stayed here in August 2009 and were really looking forward to our stay. Unfortunately the hotel wasn’t in a good shape at all. Quite noisy at night, not clean and the infrastructure didn’t work. The surroundings are beautiful though as the hotel is really in central Cambridge and at the river. Value for money isn’t satisfactory at all!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2010

Wound up at the Hyatt because of the price, and the fact that it included breakfast daily. Never expected the over the top service provided by all members of the staff and the great buffet breakfast that was included for all 3 of us. The location never even proved to be a factor because of the free shuttle to either Harvard Square or the BU T stop. Enterprise delivers and picks up the car from this location so even our car rental was hassle-free. Thank you, Hyatt, for a great stay!

Stayed July 2010, traveled with family