“Nice, but only OK room service”

Hyatt Regency Cambridge, Overlooking Boston
Ranked #10 of 20 Hotels in Cambridge
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed August 1, 2006

The Hyatt was nice, and the room was great, with a really nice layout, including a king-sized bed that faced a floor-to-ceiling window overlooking the st-clair river. We had room service breakfast while watching skullers on the river. Heavenly.

Only big dissapointment was room-service. First, A Hyatt should have 24-hour room service. At least a limited menu. For the price they charge! Finally, how hard is it to take an order and deliver everything? I'm a big room-service fan, and this was OK, at best.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
There are newer reviews for Hyatt Regency Cambridge, Overlooking Boston

Reviewed July 23, 2006

This is an upscale hotel with quite a few amenities, and a wonderful view of the Charles River if you get a river view room, which we did on our last stay.

The hotel is clean, the staff friendly, and the restaurant above average.

The one complaint I have as an older person is the proximity of the pool to the rooms. I have problems walking and found the walk to the pool exhausting. The other problem is that there is no easy way in or out of the pool.. I could not go in because they only had ladders, no steps. However, there was one of those machines to put folks into and get them out of the pool, but no one around to work it as far as I saw. The hot tub was better. Nice and warm, and easy to navigate.

On my last day I found out there was a wheelchair accessible way to get to the pool, but it was not marked in any way, and we only found it by accident.

Other than the problems noted above for the older guest, this hotel had lots of appeal, and I would stay there again.

• Stayed: April 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
2  Thank NanCalz
Reviewed July 12, 2006

Despite the poor reports on TripAdvisor, I could not say no to an $85 all in price for a Boston room (thanks Hotwire) so I gave the Hyatt a chance.

I have to say I certainly got value for my money. I have no complaints. My room did not appear outdated - in fact, it had a fantastic bed and a bright white bedspread (so you know it is clean). I have included photos. Everything worked fine, was clean and the service was acceptable. If you stay on the third floor, you can avoid the elevators.
If you are a runner, you will appreciate the easy access to the paths along the Charles River. Since you are right next to it, consider taking the free tour of MIT - it was very interesting.

Tip: As mentioned often, the location is isolated with respect to public transit but, instead of walking all the way to the T-station, I recommend you take the number 1 bus on Mass Ave. (service to Harvard Sq. and Downtown Boston) if you can. It is quite a bit closer to the hotel and arrives every 10 minutes or so. You catch it in front of the main MIT building.

• Stayed: July 2006
2  Thank Valdiri
Reviewed July 11, 2006

I booked this hotel because of its location, across from Boston University. The first room had a clogged shower and pubic hairs on the shower wall--SICK!! The staff moved us the next night (because of sold/out situation the first night). The second night we needed some things from the drug store but guess what--EVERYTHING in the hotel closes at 10 pm--meaning no gift shop, nothing. We had not rented a car--and all cabs were in use because of July 4th. We had to WALK 2 miles at 11:30 pm to get medicine for our daughter. Talk about inconvenient and annoying--and UNSAFE.

Will not stay here again. Hyatt staff at Cambridge--GET A CLUE.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled on business
1  Thank papergirl2
Reviewed July 9, 2006

We stayed at the Hyatt Cambridge for 4 nights with a family of 4 (2 children of 6 and 7). I had booked a "sports package", with parking and breakfast included (only for 2 though). The room with river view was nice and clean. Breakfast buffet was good and regularly refilled. With the package, we could also order a la carte. The pancakes were ok, but the belgian waffles were too salty. Service was really nice and they did not even charge extra for the children. We had a drink at the bar one night and everything was perfectly fine - service, finger food and drinks. We also recommend the hotel restaurant.
The pool is best for lapswimming, but the children enjoyed it anyway (hot tub and sauna are nice too)
The negative points, as mentioned in other posts were the 15 min. walk to the T, the slow elevators, the remote location of the health club (walkway and extra elevator) and the shuttle, where you cannot make reservations a day in advance (and when I called around 9:30 am, all shuttles for the morning were full, so if you want to avoid to walk to the T stop, call early!)

• Stayed: June 2006
3  Thank magali
Reviewed July 6, 2006

I stayed at this hotel from June 11-14, 2006, for Microsoft Tech Ed conference for work. Due to the Microsoft conference, all the other hotels I wanted in BackBay, Copely Square area were all already full. This was the only one that I could get into at about $229/night, corporate rate.

I was pretty busy and didn't spend too much time at the hotel which is good. This is kind of a dumpy hotel, outdated decor, unimpressive lobby, room decor like low end hotel. The location is also kind of out of the way from anything. Harvard square is about a 20 minute walk. There is really nothing close. I guess it would convenient if you are visiting MIT which is pretty close by. But for a business traveler, this is not a great location.

When I first checked in, they gave me a room on the 3rd floor right by the elevator. It was dark, dank and not good at all. After the first night, when I was getting ready, the toilet overflowed and kept overflowing. Water went all over the floor outside the bathroom into the main room, it was practically a flood. I called and called but by the time, help came, my stuff started to get wet and the room was uninhabitable. I changed room to a better room but it was a smoking room. But I had to take it as this was the only other room available they told me. On the plus side, it had a balcony and a die for view of the Charles river on the 12th floor. The smoke smell wasn't too bad.

They do have an indoor pool and gym but I didn't really get a chance to check it out. For the price, I think you can probably get a better hotel in Boston proper.

• Stayed: June 2006, traveled on business
2  Thank J0ely
A TripAdvisor Member
Ithaca, NY
Reviewed June 6, 2006

Reading all the other reviews, I pretty much knew what to expect: pretty long walk to a T stop (no problem in the mornings but uncomfortable coming back from a long day of walking), relatively steep price for parking ($28/night for self park; parking in downtown Boston is less), charges for "amenities" such as breakfast and high speed internet (I didn't partake), but otherwise a clean, quiet, comfortable place to sleep. A few added notes though:
I booked the room through Hotwire (for $84/night before taxes). I had read of other people booking through Hotwire getting a river view room and I was hopeful, but apparently now they have a system in place so that if you didn't specifically book a view room, you could upgrade for $10/night. It's not a bad deal, but I wasn't planning on spending much time in my room.
Parking on Vassar street behind the hotel is plentiful (at least in the summer), free, and very close to the hotel. However, they do street cleaning once a month (from 8am to 2pm first Monday of every month), and I happened to be there the day they were doing that. This probably only won't apply to very many people, but you should be aware of this. If you happen to come then, be prepared to pay to park in the garage as all the other streets surrounding the hotel require either an MIT permit or a Cambridge residency permit.

• Stayed: June 2005