“Value for my money”

Hyatt Regency Cambridge, Overlooking Boston
Ranked #10 of 20 Hotels in Cambridge
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed July 12, 2006

Despite the poor reports on TripAdvisor, I could not say no to an $85 all in price for a Boston room (thanks Hotwire) so I gave the Hyatt a chance.

I have to say I certainly got value for my money. I have no complaints. My room did not appear outdated - in fact, it had a fantastic bed and a bright white bedspread (so you know it is clean). I have included photos. Everything worked fine, was clean and the service was acceptable. If you stay on the third floor, you can avoid the elevators.
If you are a runner, you will appreciate the easy access to the paths along the Charles River. Since you are right next to it, consider taking the free tour of MIT - it was very interesting.

Tip: As mentioned often, the location is isolated with respect to public transit but, instead of walking all the way to the T-station, I recommend you take the number 1 bus on Mass Ave. (service to Harvard Sq. and Downtown Boston) if you can. It is quite a bit closer to the hotel and arrives every 10 minutes or so. You catch it in front of the main MIT building.

• Stayed: July 2006
2  Thank Valdiri
There are newer reviews for Hyatt Regency Cambridge, Overlooking Boston

Reviewed July 11, 2006

I booked this hotel because of its location, across from Boston University. The first room had a clogged shower and pubic hairs on the shower wall--SICK!! The staff moved us the next night (because of sold/out situation the first night). The second night we needed some things from the drug store but guess what--EVERYTHING in the hotel closes at 10 pm--meaning no gift shop, nothing. We had not rented a car--and all cabs were in use because of July 4th. We had to WALK 2 miles at 11:30 pm to get medicine for our daughter. Talk about inconvenient and annoying--and UNSAFE.

Will not stay here again. Hyatt staff at Cambridge--GET A CLUE.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled on business
1  Thank papergirl2
Reviewed July 9, 2006

We stayed at the Hyatt Cambridge for 4 nights with a family of 4 (2 children of 6 and 7). I had booked a "sports package", with parking and breakfast included (only for 2 though). The room with river view was nice and clean. Breakfast buffet was good and regularly refilled. With the package, we could also order a la carte. The pancakes were ok, but the belgian waffles were too salty. Service was really nice and they did not even charge extra for the children. We had a drink at the bar one night and everything was perfectly fine - service, finger food and drinks. We also recommend the hotel restaurant.
The pool is best for lapswimming, but the children enjoyed it anyway (hot tub and sauna are nice too)
The negative points, as mentioned in other posts were the 15 min. walk to the T, the slow elevators, the remote location of the health club (walkway and extra elevator) and the shuttle, where you cannot make reservations a day in advance (and when I called around 9:30 am, all shuttles for the morning were full, so if you want to avoid to walk to the T stop, call early!)

• Stayed: June 2006
3  Thank magali
Reviewed July 6, 2006

I stayed at this hotel from June 11-14, 2006, for Microsoft Tech Ed conference for work. Due to the Microsoft conference, all the other hotels I wanted in BackBay, Copely Square area were all already full. This was the only one that I could get into at about $229/night, corporate rate.

I was pretty busy and didn't spend too much time at the hotel which is good. This is kind of a dumpy hotel, outdated decor, unimpressive lobby, room decor like low end hotel. The location is also kind of out of the way from anything. Harvard square is about a 20 minute walk. There is really nothing close. I guess it would convenient if you are visiting MIT which is pretty close by. But for a business traveler, this is not a great location.

When I first checked in, they gave me a room on the 3rd floor right by the elevator. It was dark, dank and not good at all. After the first night, when I was getting ready, the toilet overflowed and kept overflowing. Water went all over the floor outside the bathroom into the main room, it was practically a flood. I called and called but by the time, help came, my stuff started to get wet and the room was uninhabitable. I changed room to a better room but it was a smoking room. But I had to take it as this was the only other room available they told me. On the plus side, it had a balcony and a die for view of the Charles river on the 12th floor. The smoke smell wasn't too bad.

They do have an indoor pool and gym but I didn't really get a chance to check it out. For the price, I think you can probably get a better hotel in Boston proper.

• Stayed: June 2006, traveled on business
2  Thank J0ely
A TripAdvisor Member
Ithaca, NY
Reviewed June 6, 2006

Reading all the other reviews, I pretty much knew what to expect: pretty long walk to a T stop (no problem in the mornings but uncomfortable coming back from a long day of walking), relatively steep price for parking ($28/night for self park; parking in downtown Boston is less), charges for "amenities" such as breakfast and high speed internet (I didn't partake), but otherwise a clean, quiet, comfortable place to sleep. A few added notes though:
I booked the room through Hotwire (for $84/night before taxes). I had read of other people booking through Hotwire getting a river view room and I was hopeful, but apparently now they have a system in place so that if you didn't specifically book a view room, you could upgrade for $10/night. It's not a bad deal, but I wasn't planning on spending much time in my room.
Parking on Vassar street behind the hotel is plentiful (at least in the summer), free, and very close to the hotel. However, they do street cleaning once a month (from 8am to 2pm first Monday of every month), and I happened to be there the day they were doing that. This probably only won't apply to very many people, but you should be aware of this. If you happen to come then, be prepared to pay to park in the garage as all the other streets surrounding the hotel require either an MIT permit or a Cambridge residency permit.

• Stayed: June 2005
6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 26, 2006

I stayed here for 6 nights and wanted to check out after the first night, but there were no vacancies in the area due to a convention. I arrived at 1 am. The doorman, even seeing the heavy luggage I was carrying, didn't offer to carry them to the front desk for me. I then waited for several minutes at the front desk before a clerk came to check me in. He seemed very bored and unhappy with having to serve me.

My room was another disappointment, with fairly old and stained furnishings. The two highlights were the bed, which was quite luxurious and comfortable, and the view overlooking the Charles. The carpet was very old and stained, requiring me to wear slippers at all times for fear of stepping with bare feet on whatever was on those floors. The closet held a bunch of loose, exposed electrical wiring that hung from the ceiling.

It should be noted that most of the rooms of this hotel face into the restaurant and lobby area, even those at the very top floors. In the middle of the night, it can get quite noisy from all of the music playing from the lobby. On a Friday morning, at 5 am, I was awoken by the sound of vacuuming. It seems that the managers and workers of this hotel have no clue about customer service.

Upon my check-out, another clerk asked me how I felt about my stay at the hotel. I told her that I thought it was sub-par and that I was very disappointed, to which she replied, absently, "Oh, that's too bad." Her lack of enthusiasm and pride in the hotel was typical of the hotel staff. During my long stay, I met no one that seemed at all interested in good customer service. At $250 a night, I expected much, much more. There are many other better hotels in the area.

• Stayed: May 2006, traveled on business
6  Thank leggsworth
Reviewed April 17, 2006

Our experience included a series of small, but frustrating disappointments. Service ranged from excellent to idiotic—it all depended on who you were dealing with at the moment. Decided to upgrade to the River view room, we spent the first night on a low floor with a partial view of the river, and a full view of a non-descript concrete terrace, rusted utility box, an overturned chair and a dirty glass. The toilet was not perfectly clean when we arrived, there appeared to be blood splattered on the bathroom wall, and there was some kind of sickly sweet air freshener piped into the room. The coffee maker only makes one cup at a time (small disposable tray fits into top) and after spending a restless night listening to the wind whistling through the windows, my husband and I found supplies to make only 1 cup of weak coffee, to share.

(I believe the hotel serves takeout Starbucks coffee in their restaurant, something we discovered too late on our last day.)

We changed rooms the next day to a higher floor with a better view, and had no problem sleeping after that. No offensive air freshener in the second room either.

Phone calls for hotel info were either unanswered endless ringing or useless: called to find out how to get to the pool—the operator sent me to a voicemail box inviting me to leave a message. Called again and no one answered. Calls to find out about the free shuttle again had me waiting and waiting. Finally, someone promised to call me back, which never happened. Eventually we got the info we needed (we could take the shuttle if we wanted to wait 2 hours.)

Took the kids to the pool and were dismayed to see "All swimmers must wear bathing caps" posted. The attendent didn't show up for 15 minutes or so. Annoyed at having to pay $5.00 each for a piece of rubber.

The pool is nice, though, and basically empty whenever we went. The kids were able to play games and swim like kids.

Those signature Hyatt Regency elevators look good, but they can be v-e-r-y s-l-o-w.

I should say that some of the service was just what it should be--friendly, efficient. Our second room was spotless.

Cambridge restaurants to recommend: East Coast Grill--funky seafood and bbq joint, just a short drive from the hotel, has it's own parking lot ($5). Also, had a fresh and delicious lunch at the Miracle of Science Bar & Grill, near MIT.

The whole family enjoyed the little-known MIT Museum, a short walk away. Exhibits on robots, holograms, and a terrific gallery of moving mechanical sculptures.

Stayed: April 2006