“Not what I expected. Very disappointed”

Hyatt Regency Cambridge, Overlooking Boston
Ranked #10 of 19 Hotels in Cambridge
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed July 16, 2009

The room was okay, nothing great. 2 double beds, a desk & chair and tv/dresser. There isn’t any “chair” to sit if you want to relax and read a book. You have to sit on the bed. For the cost, it should have been better. Housekeeping was a joke. I don't think they vacuumed the 4 days we were there. We were never given new water glasses although it was quite obvious we wanted them. Sheets were never changed, bed made sloppy. (although there is a sign requesting if you want towels and sheets changed, to contact the front desk) Again, for the cost of the room, that should be a given. There is nothing within close proximity – for people who cannot walk far distances, or who have young children, a cab in necessary. The shuttle the hotel offers isn’t always available and they stop service at 6pm. Parking in their garage is $35/night. Internet is $12.95/day. There are better choices of hotels in the area. The buffet breakfast was mediocre, nothing special. Very expensive - $19.99+ per person. Every employee, except one I encountered at the hotel was very friendly. The “concierge” was of no help in advising on where to grab a bite to eat, sites to visit nearby etc… I do have to say the hotel lobby itself was very clean, it is too bad they do not update the rooms, very old. Holes in ceiling with an awful attempt to cover it.
Boston itself is impressive. I would never again stay in Cambridge. My last visit to Boston, I stayed at the Copley and it was within walking distance of anything and everything imaginable.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled on business
MichaelHickeyGM, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Cambridge, Overlooking Boston, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2009

Hello,

I am the General Manager of the Hyatt Regency in Cambridge. I am sorry that you were disappointed with your recent stay.

I am sorry that you felt that housekeeping did an inferior job while cleaning your room, your room should have been vacuumed daily. I will be speaking with our Executive Housekeeper to prevent this issue for future guests. Sheets are changed every 3 days as part of Hyatt's Green Initiative to conserve resources. This is a company-wide policy that includes other small changes in various departments throughout the hotel. Guests who prefer their sheets and towels replaced daily can make a request to the front desk for housekeeping to do so.

Additionally, the price of our breakfast buffet has recently been discounted to $16.95 per person for the remainder of the summer.

I would like the opportunity to discuss your stay with you in more detail. I am available by phone Monday through Friday, 8am to 6pm or by email anytime at Michael.Hickey@hyatt.com. Thank you again for your comments.

Regards,
Michael Hickey

Write a ReviewReviews (2,517)

Reviewed July 13, 2009

I normally dont stay at Hyatts but I had to due to sold out rooms at other preffered hotels in the area.
Pros: Great rate. Nice front desk people for the most part. Comfy bed.
Cons: You get what you pay for. It's really outdated and the bathrooms are an eyesore, plus they are tiny. Front desk never asked for my Gold Passport membership so I never got points for that stay (but I went to the website to recover them). The hotel just shampooed the carpets in my first room so that floor was soaked and the room was terribly humid. The second room wasnt any better, but it had a better view of the river.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled on business
MichaelHickeyGM, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Cambridge, Overlooking Boston, responded to this reviewResponded July 15, 2009

Hello, my name is Michael Hickey and I am the General Manager of the Hyatt Regency Cambridge. Thank you for your comments about our hotel, please know they do not go unaddressed.

Please accept my sincere apology that you were checked into a room that had recently had its carpet shampooed. That room should have been placed out of service until the carpet was dry. I am glad to hear that the staff rectified the situation and upgraded you to a river view room.

I am also glad to hear that you were able to get your gold passport points credited to your account. A front desk agent should have taken your gold passport number at check in, and it should have also been asked for at check out. I will be addressing this issue with our front office staff in order to prevent similar occurrences in the future.

I would like the opportunity to discuss your stay in further detail. I am available by phone Monday through Friday, 8am to 6pm at 617-441-6400 or by email anytime at Michael.Hickey@hyatt.com. I look forward to speaking with you.

Regards,
Michael Hickey

Reviewed July 13, 2009

I spent 4 nights (from 06/30 to 07/04) in this hotel for a conference. This was an horrible experience.
First of all, the hotel is on the middle of nowhere (I know, it can be hard to imagine given you are in Cambridge, across the river from Boston), bit it's located at least 20 minutes from the first T station and the same from any kind of restaurant or shop. Don't even bother to try the restaurant on site: overpriced, poor quality and terrible service (they know you don't have a choice because everything else is so far out, that they even don't try to be nice).
Then, the hotel is old and dusty. I'm sure it had been a great place in the early 70's, but it needs a serious remodeling.
The service is terrible. We had bad experiences every single day of our stay. For example, a bulb went out in the bathroom (it can happen everywhere, I know), but we had to wait 2 days to have it replaced, after man phone calls to the front desk (and when they eventually came and change it, they left the old bulb on the sink, perhaps as a souvenir!). Even if we requested them to the front desk (with always the same answer "I'm sorry about that, I'm calling someone right now and your towels should be in the room in less than 5 minutes. NOT TRUE!) many times a day, we succeeded to obtain enough towels for each person (= 4!) in the room only once (the rest of the time, the 4th person had to dry with the bath mat...). The front desk personal was very unhelpful and sometimes rude (during checkout we had to argue more than 30 minutes to have our bill split the way we requested, even if we specified everything while checking in and we had been told where will be no issues...). I could keep writing anecdotes like that for many lines but I'm sure you get the message: except if you don't have another option, don't stay to this hotel!
I also stayed at the Marriot Cambridge by MIT campus and it is a much better option for a similar price: best location (right by the T, close to many restaurants...), best amenities (everything is newer and cleaner) and nicer people, for an overall better experience.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled on business

Hello, and thank you for your honest comments about our hotel. Comments such as yours allow us to continuously improve our customer service.

I am truly sorry that you felt you had such a terrible experience at our hotel and that our staff did not care about your stay. The service you received is certainly not up to the level we strive to provide our guests, and it is unacceptable.

While we cannot change the physical location of our hotel, we do offer a complimentary shuttle to the nearest T stations. Additionally, a bus stop is located in front of our hotel that goes to Kendall Square station.

I would like the opportunity to discuss your stay with you in further detail. I am available by phone Monday through Friday, 8am to 6pm or by email anytime at Michael.Hickey@hyatt.com. I look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed July 10, 2009

I just stayed for the July 4th, 2009 weekend. It was my twin girls birthday, and I wanted it to be the best birhday they have had so far. When we got to the hotel, there was no wait to check in. The front desk was so effecient, which really helped as I was a bit stressed out. She smiled, and was very pleasant, and welcomed us to the Hyatt Regency. We got to our room, and I was tickled pink! What a view, and everything was clean, fresh and stocked. It was a busy weekend at the hotel as you can imagine. However, everytime I seemed to walk out of my room the General Manager was running around. Smiling and greeting guests. It was like he had cloned himself, he was everywhere. I smiled to myself, as I took note of this but didnt say anything at the time. The hotel was so organized, and they get you in and out quickly. Everyone was so friendly, and went out of their way to make sure their guests were comfortable. Even though it was so busy, the staff was calm, and would make you feel like you were the most important guest in the world. The food was excellent, and the manager was walking to each table to make sure everyone was satisfied. The gym was nice, and temperature was great for a good workout. The pool was nice and clean, and it had lap lanes. You never had to worry about not having fresh towels, they appeared like magic when you took one it seemed, always fully stocked. The Concierge was so helpful getting around the city, and ready to give you tips. The greeters were terrific, always there for any information you needed, and gently guiding you to different areas of the hotel. The gift shop was nice, and yet again, another smiling face!! Room service was very gracious, and took the time to set your area, again with a smile hoping you have the best stay. The hotel was very clean, in every area. The outside Bell Staff were wonderful. They were fast, and very organized. I missed them when I had gone to the Marriott in Boston for a visit, and you would pull up and have to get out of your car, and actually ask them for help. I just shook my head. They could take some lessons from the Hyatt Regency Cambridge Overlooking Boston. On a scale from 1-10 the rate I give is a 20.........There is a bus stop outside the hotel. There is a shuttle that runs to the Galleria Mall, and tour boat. I used my car to get around, its not that difficult, but there are taxi's right outside the door at all times if driving around Boston is not your thing. When using the parking garage at the hotel, make sure you note what level you are on when parking your car. I think it goes A, B, C it will tell you under the sign on each floor in the garage, you just have to remember to look at the sign. Also on July 4th weekend there were some road closures because of the fireworks. The Executive assistant was nice enough to send me a link to all the road closures so that I would get there okay. All I can say, is I had the best time of my life, and my girls had the best birthday, and the memories to last a lifetime. We cant wait to take another trip to Boston, and you bet we will stay here again. Thank you HYATT REGENCY Overlooking Boston, I miss you all already!!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed June 25, 2009

I have been in better hotels that I have stayed in for pleasure. When I came into the room there was no iron in the closet--I've never experienced that before. And this "Hyatt" hotel must not have maids because in my 2 night stay I not once had my room cleaned. And the cherry on top of a wonderful stay is when I found out that the staff of this hotel charged my own personal credit card when I checked in. Which was another new experience for me--considering most hotels hold a credit card, not charge it right then and there. Especially when I told the staff repeatedly the stay was prepaid. Any hotel is better than this, don't waste your time or hard earned money.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank ngoode1
Reviewed June 24, 2009

I have to say there are nicer and more conveniently located places to stay in Cambridge. We live in Cambridge near central square and had to stay here in a pinch when our floors were being varnished. We were in the middle of going through an extensive renovation and living in a construction zone, and thought we'd treat ourselves to a night in a nice hotel.

I have to say I was pretty disappointed. While the room was pretty standard, it was not what I would call 4 star. It was much more along the lines of a motel. It's pretty old and dated and the internet access wasn't too good.... We did not have a room with a view and it was a considerable walking distance to anything worth while. OK if you like to walk a mile to the nearest square.

I haven't been to the courtyard just up the street yet, but next time I need a room in a pinch, I'll try there.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank zizzpudding
Reviewed June 19, 2009

I've stayed at this Hyatt before, and always had good experiences, but this time I was not even a guest, and still recieved fantastic customer service! I had lost my phone, in the rain, and after calling it found that it had been retrieved by a Hyatt employee. I headed over and two women at the front desk called my phone repeatedly - they were friendly and very patient, especially considering I wasn't a paying guest! The gentleman who found my phone met me in the lobby, and returned it, refusing a tip! I've always had good experiences at the Hyatt, but this one takes the cake! Fantastic hotel, fantastic people.

Stayed: June 2009, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cambridge
Courtyard Boston Cambridge
Royal Sonesta Boston
#4 of 19 in Cambridge
Freepoint Hotel
#15 of 19 in Cambridge

Been to Hyatt Regency Cambridge, Overlooking Boston? Share your experiences!