“Best view in the Boston area”

Hyatt Regency Cambridge, Overlooking Boston
Ranked #11 of 20 Hotels in Cambridge
GreenLeadersSilver level
San Juan Capistrano, California
“Best view in the Boston area”
Reviewed March 30, 2014

It's right on the Charles River in Cambridge right near MIT and Harvard. I counted 16 convenient electric outlets in the room, including 8 on the night table. Maybe the people who visit MIT have more gadgets than I do, but it's still very convenient. They charge for WiFi (argh!!), but the connection is good in the room. The room is quiet and has that great view. The place is the 1970s Hyatt architecture, with the central atrium, but it's been renovated and kept up well. It's not near much in the way of restaurants, but they have one that serves OK food (the view is the thing, not the food). They serve a decent buffet breakfast, but be prepared to spend $20+ for it. The have a shuttle to take you to places in Cambridge or take you across the river to hop a metro.

Room Tip: Get a room with a view of the river.
1 Thank CaTraveler7777
sarah d, Public Relations Manager at Hyatt Regency Cambridge, Overlooking Boston, responded to this review, April 8, 2014
CATraveler7777, thank you for taking the time to review your recent visit at Hyatt Regency Cambridge! I am glad to hear that you found the electrical outlets to be convenient for your usage and that you knew the significance of our atrium in the main lobby! The atrium style is a unique and beautiful architectural design that Hyatt is known at locations around the world! Thank you again for your review, and we hope to welcome you back, soon! Best, Sarah.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (475)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Cirencester, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 29, 2014 via mobile

I stayed in the hotel for a conference held at Boston University. The room was big and well laid out. Free wifi is fast and easy to log into. The hotel has great views over the river but isn't close to public transport, however you can get the hotel shuttle across the river and then onto the subway. Restaurant is good and all service was excellent. However, the bathroom flooded on my second night and the towels in the room varied from day to day, sometimes no hand towel etc. All in all would recommend.

Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Maritchi, thank you for your review of Hyatt Regency Cambridge! I am so glad that you took advantage of our proximity to Boston University for your stay as well as utilizing our complimentary shuttle in order to get to and from your conference! However, on behalf of the management team I would like to extend my sincerest apologies for the issues you experienced regarding your bathroom. If you have time please send more details on your issues, qualitybosrc@hyatt.com. We would like to the opportunity to resolve these issues prior to inconveniencing anyone else. Thank you again for your recommendation as well as review, and we hope to welcome you back, soon!
Reviewed March 21, 2014

The hotel is good, clean, helpful staff. However bad location, far from the city center, no public transportation close to the hotel. Very Poor WIFI. Impossible to connect in the rooms, you have to get out of the room to have hgh quality connection. Very good breakfast.

2 Thank Elif Y
Elif Y, thank you for your recent review. I am glad to hear that during your stay you enjoyed your dining experience at Zephyr on the Charles as well as the genuine hospitality of the guests. However, I apologize for any inconveniences you experienced as a result of a poor Wi-Fi connection. I will be sure to pass along your feedback to our AV department. Thank you again for your review, and we hope to welcome you back soon. Best, Sarah. qualitybosrc@hyatt.com
Chardon, Ohio
Reviewed March 18, 2014

Since Boston is a frequent destination, I've stayed at dozens of hotels in and around the city--some very nice, some "notso." Those in or close to the downtown area can be extremely pricey. Boston is a notoriously difficult city to drive in so getting to them can also be a hassle. I hadn't stayed at this Hyatt hotel before last summer-figuring it, too, was outrageously expensive, given its location and stunning architecture. And it can be, depending on the time of year. But occasionally you'll find a good room rate. If you do, grab it.

The hotel is located on the Charles River and overlooks the city--giving the visitor a lovely retreat in a very busy metropolitan area. You can walk along the river, watch the sailboats and college crews, take the hotel shuttle to Fenway Park and other interesting spots in Cambridge (where the hotel is located) and Boston. The staff is extremely helpful. There's a fitness facility, pool, good restaurant, etc. so you're not missing any amenities. The major downside is the cost of parking-but alas!-this is Boston where the streets were designed for horses, not cars! And smart residents take the "T."

I've finally found the place I want to stay when I come to the Boston area--that is, if the price is right!!!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Ruth M, thank you so much for taking the time to review your stay at Hyatt Regency Cambridge. I am so glad that not only did you take the time to enjoy the view of the Charles, but also that you had an opportunity to utilize the complimentary shuttle connecting guests to convenient Cambridge locations! We are so glad that we won you over and became your Boston go-to hotel! Thank you again for your review, and we hope to welcome you back, soon! Best, Sarah.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed March 11, 2014

My wife and I just really enjoy this hotel. We come to Boston to visit our daughter and have the car with us so we don't mind driving a bit. With that said the location is not walking distance to everything but convenient just the same. Just noticed there is a bus stop right on the corner, will explore that next time. There are so many points you can hit when talking about a hotel but i'll mention a few. Front desk personnel are very cordial and real, the breakfast is among the very best hotel breakfasts we've had, period..the ventilation system in the good-sized room worked flawlessly and is very quiet, shower is very good and control over water temp is excellent. The wallcovering and paint in our 7th floor room looked new, and the fitness center and pool were excellent.We also had a great long walk along the Charles just by stepping out the door of the hotel. Could i find any negatives? Probably, but they would be minor and few. The hotel has been consistently satisfying to us in our three stays here. Much thanks.

Room Tip: higher floor, city view is very nice
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
sarah d, Public Relations Manager at Hyatt Regency Cambridge, Overlooking Boston, responded to this review, April 9, 2014
Hello howardjc, Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay at Hyatt Regency Cambridge and for being a frequent visitor! I am thrilled to hear that you had such a great experience with all aspects of the hotel; including quality, our associates and breakfast as they truly are a very important part to a great stay. Please be in touch the next time you visit; we’d be happy to help you navigate the bus and MBTA system. See you soon! qualitybosrc@hyatt.com Best, Sarah
Brooklyn, NY
Reviewed March 7, 2014

My 3-night stay at the Hyatt Regency Cambridge was for a conference a couple weeks ago. I commend the entire staff, for their great service, courtesy and professionalism; from the folks at the entrance who have the difficult task of braving the bitter Boston cold to assist guests out of the car or to hail them a taxi - to the front desk staff - to the cleaning and maintenance crews. Check in was simple and quick, and being a chocolate fan, it was a nice touch to present large bowls of chocolates for your guests. The atrium setup is pretty cool but I'd be less than transparent if I did not share that my latent fear of heights came to the fore as I ascended the elevator to the 12th floor where my room was; the view down is a bit scary so if that is an issue for you I recommend a room on a lower floor. The property is kept clean and neat by an able and caring staff. To enter your room, you use a card but unlike every other hotel I've stayed at, you do not insert the card into a reader, rather you simply pass the card in the air in front of a card reader (like a speed pass) - pretty awesome! My room had a terrace overlooking the Charles River and Brookline to the South and Boston to the East - spectacular sunrise and night time views. The rooms were well appointed, the bed was super comfortable with supportive pillows and excellent bedding. Nice bathroom with good quality bath products - and I like the packaging for the soap bar, it has sort of a jagged edge at one corner so ripping the packaging open is a snap. The heat/cool system works great.

What I did not like:
* there is no mini fridge / minibar. And when I opened the cabinet where a fridge would normally go, I found a used sock, guess the last guest missed that one.

* not sure if this was unique to my room, but the sliding patio door was nearly impossible to open - it was a struggle to get it to slide open.

* paying for wifi. Really?

Outstanding service:
* In room dining brought my order in a timely fashion and was delicious

* I'm a very deep sleeper so both wake up calls I had set up were to no avail. So the hotel associate came up and knocked on my door until I finally awoke. That was most appreciated.

All in all, a fine hotel and fine stay ...

Room Tip: A room on a high floor for the best views!
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Hello, Stephane A, Thank you for your detailed review of Hyatt Regency Cambridge. It was a pleasure to read, and I am thrilled to learn that small aspects of our authentic hospitality do not go unnoticed, from our associates working to ensure that each and every guest has a comfortable stay to the perforations on our soap amenities. Thank you as well, for bringing a few things to our attention; engineering and housekeeping has been briefed and is looking into your opportunities. Please be in touch next time you are in town—we would be happy to secure another route to your room if heights are a problem! All my best, Sarah qualitybosrc@hyatt.com
New York City, New York
Reviewed March 4, 2014

I stayed 2 nights for a conference in Harvard. The hotel is mid way between downtown Cambridge and the Harvard Business school. The staff was nice and helpful. The breakfast is ok not more, it is better to go downtown.

Room Tip: Take a room on the 12th floor at least above the 8th floor
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Hi Isab10027, Thank you so much for your review and for choosing Hyatt. We know that it can be hard to find a decent meal on the road, and strive to make sure that each person is completely satisfied with their food. Please let us know when you are in town next; we'd love to welcome you back with an outstanding meal! All my best, Sarah qualitybosrc@hyatt.com
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cambridge
Le Meridien Cambridge - MIT
Fenway / Kenmore
Hotel Commonwealth
Hotel Commonwealth
#8 of 83 in Boston

Been to Hyatt Regency Cambridge, Overlooking Boston? Share your experiences!