“Any port in a Storm”

Hyatt Regency Cambridge, Overlooking Boston
Ranked #9 of 19 Hotels in Cambridge
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed December 19, 2013

We arrived at Boston Logan airport one and a half hours late in the middle of a blizzard. Because of the chaos on the roads we couldn't get home, so we headed for the Hyatt Regency and they took us in at about 11:45pm. We could not have expected a warmer welcome. we got into the restaurant at 11:55pm and were told that the kitchen closes at midnight. We ordered immediately and were served immaculately at 12:20am. The chowder and the fish&chips and the cocktails were delicious, and then we were up-graded to a suite. We took some time to unwind, but the bed was just right! In the morning we realised that we didn't have the toiltries we needed, but they were supplied immediately. Breakfast was perfect, exactly what we asked for, promptly. It was like an extra day's vacation.

Room Tip: The view across the river is delightful in winter.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
sarah d, Public Relations Manager at Hyatt Regency Cambridge, Overlooking Boston, responded to this reviewResponded December 23, 2013

Valmont80026, thank you for this outstanding review of your recent stay at Hyatt Regency Cambridge. I am so glad that we were able to be your safe haven in the middle of a blizzard and that our team was able to make your stay a memorable experience throughout your time with us. Thank you for your review and we hope to welcome you back before the next blizzard! Best, Sarah.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,556)

Reviewed December 19, 2013

Stayed at this hotel in mid November, 2013. Did get a room with a very large balcony overlooking the river but the room itself was just average size. Furnishings in room wer OK but the rest of the hotel was below par. Stayed only one night and moved to Hyatt Boston (downtown). MUCH nicer property and proximity to shopping and sights much better also.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed December 16, 2013

I stayed there for 2 weeks in August 2013.
The room is big but I had a view of the back (Not Charles river).
The room wasn't thoroughly cleaned. I spotted a piece of paper on the floor for 3 days before it was picked up.
Air conditioning wasn't working well.
I had to pay extra for parking.
Things not included: Breakfast, Wi-Fi (not even in the lobby), small fridge (they wanted extra for that!!!!).
I was dissapointed and the staff was indifferent.

Room Tip: Ask for a roon with a view
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed December 16, 2013

The hotel and our room were very nice (what we expected, nothing totally extraordinary, but the price was not extraordinary either).

What was really nice was the service - when I politely complained I did not get the wake-up call I ordered for our first morning there, they made it up to us that evening with a bottle of wine and appetizer tray delivered to our room (even though we had declined their offer to do something for us).

We were also doing a long distance real estate deal during our stay, and the front desk staff were wonderful printing off and faxing documents for us, all at no charge and done with a smile. We would stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business

Here is the thing.
I used to stay in Boston but now stay in Cambridge. Its more for personal reasons and not much else. But in Cambridge I always used to stay at the Marriott because it was right on Kendal square even though places like the Hyatt were much cheaper.
Well I needed to renew my platinum status on Hyatt (its good for the Asian hotels) so I stayed at the Hyatt this time instead. I was not expecting it to be particularly good as it was half the price of the Marriott and the location was certainly less useful.
However I was very pleasantly surprised. The property itself is very nice indeed being right on memorial drive. And it is also more low rise than some of the hotels and hence feels more comfortable. It also has a lot of parking at the hotel itself which beats the more centrally located hotels.
The rooms were also quite nice with good showers (its showers only in the bathrooms) in the bathrooms and a decent amount of space in the room. The rooms have generally been well upgraded (much better than most hyatt upgrades traditionally have e.g. GH NYC.) and the TV selection as well as the internet are good. There is a huge safe in the closet which is useful.
Room service is generally strong and bang on time and the cleaning is very good and efficient.
Overall service is strong throughout the hotel.
The location of the hotel is not much of an issue as there are taxis right outside at all times (I certainly never had to wait to get one during my stay and it was during the first snow storm of the season and also at 5am on Monday morning so its safe to say this would not be an issue generally).
Overall whilst I feel that Hyatt in general is pretty bad in the US this hotel stands out like a beacon representing the way things should be.
I cannot fault it hence I am giving 5*

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo

CurlyHongKong, thank you for the “5-star” review! I am so glad that you enjoyed your room as well as your overall stay with us. If you loved our in-room dining, next time you stay with us you should try out Zephyr on the Charles which is available for breakfast, lunch, and dinner as well as offering an amazing view of the Charles River and Boston Skyline. Thank you again for your review, and we hope to welcome you back next time you are in Boston. Best, Sarah.

Reviewed December 14, 2013

I've been to a few hotels personally and traveled for my previous job (5 days/week). Read, I know a how to rate a hotel.

Hyatt Regency was a great weekend stay for us. The parking garage actually has the same Card Reader as the hotel so you don't have 4 pieces of paper to keep account of (Yes, this happened to me before, in Philly). The card will let you into your room and in and out of the garage. The lobby is nice, well designed and thought out. Glass elevators were definitely awe-inspiring. The room was fabulous. Make sure to get a room with a balcony and a view of "Cambridge", not "Brookline". A little out of the way (no T access nearby) but they have a shuttle to go to MIT, Harvard Sq, Central Sq. (not Downtown Boston).

We ordered dinner which was surprisingly awesome, no complaints. Staff is excellent. Check in was seamless (Noah I believe checked me in, EXCELLENT service). Complementary champagne was delivered to our room since it was a special occasion. TV does not take any inputs, e.g., HDMI, etc.

Room Tip: Choose a room with a balcony and view of the Cambridge side. Try to get as high in the building as p...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple

Shiz_mac, thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Hyatt Regency Cambridge. I am so glad that you received such authentic hospitality from Noah upon your arrival. He truly is such a great asset to our Hyatt team, and I will be sure to let him know that you appreciated his warm welcome. If you enjoyed your dinner at Zephyr on the Charles, next time you stay with us you should check out our breakfast buffet with so many delicious options that are guaranteed to please everyone! Thank you again for your review and we hope to welcome you back, soon. Best, Sarah.

Reviewed December 10, 2013

Loved staying here. My child was going to an event at MIT and it was very accessible. The hotel shuttle got my child to MIT quickly. The staff was courteous. Wish there was more of a free continental breakfast.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
sarah d, Public Relations Manager at Hyatt Regency Cambridge, Overlooking Boston, responded to this reviewResponded December 17, 2013

Barbara, thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Hyatt Regency Cambridge. I am so glad that you not only loved staying with us but also that our complimentary shuttle was able to make your travels more convenient. Next time you stay with us you should take a break and use the shuttle for your leisure and explore the city! Thank you again for your review. Best, Sarah.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Cambridge
Allston / Brighton
Courtyard Boston Cambridge
#17 of 19 in Cambridge
Charles Hotel
#3 of 19 in Cambridge

Been to Hyatt Regency Cambridge, Overlooking Boston? Share your experiences!