“Good View Mediocre Food”

Hyatt Regency Cambridge, Overlooking Boston
Ranked #10 of 19 Hotels in Cambridge
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed September 30, 2013

The hotel is on the Charles River in Cambride with nice views of Boston skyline (quick/easy cab ride to Boston area)if you are on that side of the hotel. Suggestion: Ask for a room facing the river or the city. There are views from all sides are nice. I have been to this hotel 2-3 times before and I feel it is declining slightly. The rooms are fine, they offered more channels than the Hyatt in Boston but the common areas are just average. Small confusing lobby.

The food is less than average for a hotel at that level (Marriott, Hilton, Sheraton) with very limited menus, unenthusiastic wait staff and mediocre food. Even our cookies were not that good. There is not a concierges from what I could see and the hotel staff I encountered didn’t have very accurate knowledge about good seafood places in the city. The closest drug store is about a mile away so there is nothing nearby.

The good: They recycle!!!
They have a free shuttle (runs until 9pm) that can drop off and pick up from several areas in Cambridge and one in Boston. The shuttle can drop you off at the subway stop.
There is a very small mini market within the hotel which I think is a plus because the food is cheaper than the restaurants and for those who drink coffee can have their early morning pick-me up with a baked good.
Because the hotel is on the river it provides a nice backdrop to a nice run.
The bed was comfortable but they don't have fitted sheets so they come off easy. The staff was pleasant.

Honestly, other than the food I don’t have any real complaints. I wouldn’t pay $300 for a room…it is more of a $189-230 a night place. I moved to the Hyatt Regency in Boston for a couple of days and other than the location I can’t say it is much better. In fact the rooms at the Cambridge property were a little better than the Boston property. They had more outlets in convenient places in the Cambridge property as well.

Room Tip: Facing the skyline is nice especially at sunset
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
RoyalSonestaBoston, Public Relations Manager at Hyatt Regency Cambridge, Overlooking Boston, responded to this reviewResponded October 2, 2013

Dear atina1, Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. It's always a pleasure to read reviews with detailed overview of a recent stay. Hyatt Regency Cambridge is very proud of our commitment to green practices like recycling, water efficiency and alternative energy and love when we can accomodate a guest's green preferences; however, I am sorry to hear that the food was less than average. We hope to have you back soon for another try at the cookies! Please be in touch when you are back in town. Warm wishes, Emily qualitybosrc@hyatt.com

Write a ReviewReviews (2,522)

Reviewed September 26, 2013

Our conference rate was $190 but the same room was just over $300 by itself. The conference rate was about right. And doubling the rate for a Charles Rivers view would not have been worth it. The large room was sparsely/oddly/spartanly appointed (see pic), With the bare essentials. Bathroom fixtures and amenities were average for a three star, or even a 2+. On the plus side, food throughout the week was decent. The king bed was comfortable. Overall impression of the lobby and building interior was it will need/use some refreshing in the near future.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business

Hi edmondsc, Thank you so much for taking the time to post your comments. W really appreciate your feedback and are so glad that you were able to take advantage of our amazing Charles river views, especially during your business stay. We hope to see you again soon. Best, Emily qualitybosrc@hyatt.com

Reviewed September 24, 2013 via mobile

When we arrived the hotel clearly didn't have a room available to the specification we had ordered and pre-paid for. This seemed to put the staff in to a bit of a 'flat spin' as they attempted to resolve matters. At one point the guy dealing with our issue disappeared for some time, leaving us to guess what was happening.  This took place late in the evening after a long flight, and none of us appreciated being messed about in this manner.

Eventually the guy returned and in time resolved the matter very satisfactorily. The rest of the stay was good and the staff of the bar and restaurant at breakfast were very pleasant and obliging.

In summary;

+ sorted out problems very satisfactorily (if slowly)
+ friendly and helpful staff in all departments
+ good views

- poor check in experience
- remote location; not even a shop nearby, let alone a restaurant

Key question: Would I stay here again given similar circumstances?

Answer: Probably

• Stayed: August 2013

Dear Anthony D, Thank you for your review. It is always our intention to greet guests with a quick check-in as we know that traveling can be long and tiresome at times. I apologize for the inconvenience and am so glad that our staff was friendly and helfpul along the way. We look forward to welcoming you back; please be in touch so that we can recommend some of our favorite local restaurants as well as some of our favorite dishes at our restaurant, Zephyr on the Charles, our proud recipient of the 2013 Open Table Diner's Choice Award for Scenic View. All my best, Emily qualitybosrc@hyatt.com

Reviewed September 22, 2013

We stayed at this hotel because it was within walking distance of Fenway Park and we were not disappointed. The staff was attentive and the property well maintained. They even had a shuttle that will take you to certain places within Boston (including Fenway Park on game days). The room was clean but if you are a sleeper that moves around a lot you will have trouble because they do not use fitted sheets so the bottom sheet will bunch up on you. This was the first time we have stayed at a Hyatt but we will now look for Hyatt when we travel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking Charles River.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jeanstad
sarah d, Public Relations Manager at Hyatt Regency Cambridge, Overlooking Boston, responded to this reviewResponded September 23, 2013

Thank you for your “5-star” review! I am so glad that you took advantage of our complimentary shuttle! Thank you for the feedback regarding our sheets. We are always looking for ways to improve our guest experience, and we will keep this in mind! We hope to welcome you back, soon…possibly for playoffs!

Reviewed September 19, 2013

I stayed 3 nights here for a conference. It's a more expensive hotel than I prefer to pay for. Our conference rate was $189, which is probably a good price for this location. Speaking of location, it is set off away from everything interesting in Cambridge. The closest square with restaurants etc is a mile away. Yes, they have a free shuttle, but I prefer not to depend on that; I like to walk in cities, but not necessarily a mile or two in each direction to have a drink or a meal. The design on our room was poor, with the closet door in the way of the bathroom door. The best feature was the shower. EXCELLENT shower. My wife said the pool was great too; Olympic size and saltwater. The food service was OK, not excellent. We had one restaurant breakfast -- took the buffet and it was OK but not brilliant. The banquet food...let's say they tried to hard to fancy it up without paying much attention to taste. Self-parking was $35/night. Internet was $12.95/day - drives me CRAZY that I can get free wifi at Motel 6, but have to pay here.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business

Dear Mapville, Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience with us. We take great pride in our rooms and are so glad that you enjoyed shower--we recognize it as such an important part in any hotel stay! I am sorry that you had a less than perfect experience with our banquet food and hope that you'll try us again soon. Warm wishes, Emily qualitybosrc@hyatt.com

Reviewed September 18, 2013

It was not without significant trepidation that I booked two rooms at the Hyatt Cambridge for a weekend in September. The price was quite good, and it seemed to be fairly walkable to Fenway Park, which was one important consideration. I made sure that my reservation stated a “newly renovated” room so reserve I did. With five minutes I received a call from Noah on the front desk, double checking that I, in fact, wanted connecting rooms. He was so pleasant and helpful and during our conversation he offered me an upgrade to river view rooms—not connecting but next to each other. I was quite happy. Upon my arrival I was thrilled to find our two rooms available for early check in as I asked. That in itself is so rare. Then I sought out Noah to shake his hand and thank him in person; he certainly knows customer service and should have a raise. Then, I was off with some family members to a Sox game and Noah directed us to the free shuttle. We waited for about 10 mins and Tony the driver whisked us to Fenway in record time. After the game we visited some Boston watering holes and it was decided that a family member would actually stay over with us. Phone call to Noah insured a cot was set up. Noah also asked what we would like for dinner and made reservations for us in the North End. We cabbed back to the hotel for a quick change of clothes. Out front to see Tony in the shuttle and he jumped into service driving the 5 of us as far as he could. We had trouble getting 2 cabs and Tony, well above and beyond the call, took us most of the way to our dining spot though it was a bit out of his allowed range. I should say now that a bigger part of the weekend was the ovarian cancer walk in Boston where we were all to walk in memory of my daughter who died two years ago from this dreaded disease. I know Tony heard us discussing it and so he made a hard night easier my helping us navigate our dinner location. Arrived back by cab- around $ 10- $12 so not too bad. Up early for the walk, but not before a nice breakfast in the hotel. Ram, our server was attentive and quick. We were out and on our way to the cancer walk in no time. The hotel was clean and all public spaces well-maintained. Rooms were very nice, fresh, and bathroom was too. No surprises. Had a great night’s sleep and the hallways were quiet. King bed comfy and an in room coffee maker; one of our rooms had a fridge. Breakfast was very good. We did not have the buffet (for $18.95.) however, the coffee and juice at $6 per person added significantly to the tab so the buffet would have been a better bet. Breakfast wrap was delish. Every person in the hotel was extremely friendly and helpful. I mentioned to my family some of the negative reviews and they were all shocked; we would definitely stay here again and we are all avid travelers. We felt very special and valued.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank lynda b

Thank you for this amazing review of your recent stay at Hyatt Regency Cambridge! I am so beyond happy to hear that not only did Noah, Tony, and Ram make your stay memorable but many other associates welcomed you as well! I will definitely share your appreciation with their Manager’s and the rest of our team! Reviews like this are amazing to read because it shows that each and every one of our associates worked hard to make sure you felt like you were at home during your stay! Thank you again for this outstanding review and we really hope to welcome you back, soon!

Reviewed September 17, 2013

I stayed here for a conference & was pleased to find a 25 yard 6 lane saline pool at the healthclub. The hotel staff was friendly. The double room was fine. The conference setting was very good. Free shuttle to Fenway, Harvard, etc.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
sarah d, Public Relations Manager at Hyatt Regency Cambridge, Overlooking Boston, responded to this reviewResponded September 18, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Hyatt Regency Cambridge. I am so glad that you took advantage of our indoor saline pool and complimentary 24-hour health club. Next time you stay with us you should check out the Eucalyptus steam room and sauna after your work out! Thank you for your review and we hope to welcome you back, soon!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Cambridge
Courtyard Boston Cambridge
Royal Sonesta Boston
#4 of 19 in Cambridge
Freepoint Hotel
#15 of 19 in Cambridge

Been to Hyatt Regency Cambridge, Overlooking Boston? Share your experiences!