“Disappointing”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Columbia
“Disappointing”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2013

There was almost always a 20 minute wait for the on-demand shuttle service. In one case, I had to wait more than 40 minutes. The shuttle service is necessary, because the hotel is located in a foot desert--more than a mile away from everything, including restaurants. If you don't have a car, you are stuck eating at the hotel restaurant. Employees were rude and unaccommodating throughout my stay. When I checked in, I told the desk clerk that I would be staying I night less than I had originally planned. She said that she would alter the record and that that would not be a problem. But when I checked out, I was told that I would have to pay for the extra night, because I had not notified them! When I objected that I had, indeed, notified them, the clerk did not say that I would not be charged--only that she would check with her manager about it. The management of this place must be awful. Employees seem very unhappy.

Room Tip: You have to pay considerably more to get a room with a view of the river.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
sdavison58, Public Relations Manager at Hyatt Regency Cambridge, Overlooking Boston, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
Thank you for your review. I apologize for any inconvenience you had during your stay regarding the shuttle times and bill. The shuttle typically runs every 10-15 minutes, however during peak times the wait could be longer. I apologize for your experience with the front desk and want to assure you that this is not typical. If you have time please e-mail qualitybosrc@hyatt.com and further explain the issues you had at the hotel so moving forward we can resolve these matters so they do not occur in the future. Thank you again for your review.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (462)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Lyme, Connecticut, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2013

I stayed at the Hyatt for three nights on business. There are two reasons this hotel really stands out; the great view of the Charles River and the quality of the service from the staff. Starting with the check-in at reception which is incredibly friendly and efficient. The reception staff actually come out from behind the desk to make sure you are being helped as fast as possible.Unheard of!
The rooms are of modern design and average size and quality but all very clean. I ate in the restaurant twice and the staff were amazing. My server Chelsea was just fabulous. On my second night I didn't even have to tell her my preferred drink, she remembered. All the restaurant staff were very, very pleasant.

1 Thank Christina3708
Hyderabad
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2013

Just off of Charles river and in the heart of MIT, this is just located right. I stayed two times in this hotel - a week each time and the last time I got a room with nice view of Charles river with a balcony. You can have morning walk along Charles river before going to work or trip.So don't forget your walking/running shoe. Restaurant food was OK, but could have been a little better. Overall great stay.

1 Thank sudipkar
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights on business and overlapped with the 2013 National Poetry Slam which made for some interesting people-watching opportunities. The big Muscle Milk table was a bit confusing but again, I enjoyed people-watching in the lobby. I arrived in the evening and found I didn't have a reservation for both nights but they had room for me. My room was quiet, clean and comfortable. The breakfast buffet was okay. There wasn't a huge variety but they did have an omelet station and my omelet was delicious. They serve TAZO tea (nice). I thought it was odd that I had to go looking for butter and had to use the cereal milk for my tea. I really enjoyed my king size bed and cushy pillows. I tried to watch tv but when I pressed the menu button the screen was snowy and hard to read so I gave up. The internet worked just fine so I was able to get some work done. I found that Shiela at the front desk was extremely helpful and pleasant. I'm not sure if I'm spelling her name correctly but that's how it's spelled on her name tag. My colleagues and I had meals at the hotel between training sessions and the staff was just great. Helen, in particular was just wonderful. She remembered our names and went out of her way. Helen and Shiela are the primary reasons I rated this hotel a Very Good. The location is the reason I did not rate it Excellent. Had to take the hotel shuttle to Harvard Square to find a fun bar and some shopping. Would have been nice if we'd been able to walk somewhere.

Green Features: This hotel seems to make an effort. The bathrooms in the common area have "green" toilets.
Oakton
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2013

Initial impression was it was a nice hotel. Lobby was neat and clean. Front desk staff was friendly even though was a slight problem with my reservation they quickly took care of things. Clean room nice soft pillows. Courtesy shuttle to nearby subway stop and downtown Cambridge. Had a great stay.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
San Francisco, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2013

I was initially excited to stay here because the pictures were great. However, I was very disappointed with the service, which is surprising since I was a pre-paid guest staying for 7 days.

BAD SERVICE. Always lines at the front desk - they always seemed to be understaffed here.

Terrible "on-demand" shuttle service - always had a 15-20 min wait, so most people end up taking the cab. I tried calling the operator to schedule a pickup, and the operator was rude, impatient, and inefficient (I never called again).

WRONG CHARGES - when checking out, I saw charges for local calls (I had accidentally called the full operator number instead of the shortcut, and they weren't going to waive the $2 even though I was a guest paying $1,500 for that week).

There was also a meal charge, which I never had. After some back and forth and their condescending tone insisting that I must have forgotten about eating at the hotel, I asked for a copy o the receipt, which showed someone else's signature. This person had mistakenly put down my room number on the bill, so I was charged for a stranger's mistake. Turns out they were wrong, and barely offered an apology.

This is why I prefer boutique hotels - they are much better with personal touches and value guest experiences. Will NEVER stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for informing us about the issues you had during your stay. I want to assure you that this is not typical of Hyatt Regency Cambridge and I apologize for any inconvenience. I would like to urge you to e-mail qualitybosrc@hyatt.com and further explain the issues you had so we can assist you in any way possible and look for ways to resolve these matters so they do not occur in the future. Thank you again for your review.
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2013

I don't often stay in Boston, as I am a local...but wanted to avoid some traffic. I am so thrilled with this hotel. The location is great, right near MIT. The view is even better, perfect view from the balcony of the Pru, Hancock Bldg, and Shell sign. Check in and check out were quick. A nice safe parking garage.

I really have to compliment the wait staff, particularly Raj. He was my waiter the first night, and always made a point to come over and say hi every time he saw me (the next two nights). He was happy to make food recommendations and offer items that were not in the menu (Boston Creme Pie).

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your “5-star” review! Reviews like this are such a pleasure to read! I am so glad that you enjoyed our location, views, and that Raj was able to make your dining experience unique and special! Thank you again for the outstanding review and we hope to welcome you back, soon!