“Good, but drop the wifi charges!!!”

Hyatt Regency Cambridge, Overlooking Boston
Ranked #11 of 19 Hotels in Cambridge
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed June 27, 2013

We stayed in the Hyatt while attending a sons graduation from Harvard (which was not quite as close as we had perceived from the map) and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. W had a great, spacious room with a generous terrace overlooking the Charles River. Beds were good, everything very comfortable. Staff were exceptionally helpful.
Breakfast was pretty disappointing though- it was expensive, and we only had the continental. Last morning we were a tiny bit late and there was virtually nothing left. Even all the croissants, our staples, were gone. They promised more were coming, but nothing!

Biggest gripe though was the habit these bigger hotels have of charging for wifi access!! And not cheap!! Most hotels now provide it free (it's not as if it cost them anything much), but not the Hyatts and Hiltons of this world!

Room Tip: Ask for a river view- it's worth it even if it is a little more. A terrace is amazing! Don'...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed June 23, 2013

PROS
professional staff
quick check in
quiet property
Comfortable, pillow top style mattress, high quality linens
Bellman was super efficient and a very hard worker
Multiple stations to print boarding passes
View of the Charles River on one side of the building

CONS
1 mile to T stop across the river near BU
1.3 miles to Kendall Square/MIT
No food or services nearby except 1 and 1.3 mile walks, above
Terrible shuttle service - if they say "20 min", except 40-45 if between 4:30-7 or 8-9:30. Other times 10 min wait
Still charging for internet access - I thought only Hilton still did that
Big City room rates, even using AAA

So if you are on an expense account and can charge the internet, $6 taxi rides and expensive buffet breakfasts, this is a great hotel. If you are on a family vacation and are covering all expenses yourself, this is a location that only works if you don't mind walking 6-7 blocks (and have the time) before you have had breakfast.

I recommend this property with the above caveats.

Room Tip: Ask for Riverside, the view is memorable.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 20, 2013

Over spring break we stayed here, due to a good online rate, while our daughter made a final college decision. Overall the hotel worked fine for our group of 5 with 2 rooms. It was clean, updated and quiet despite multiple rowing crews staying there. The view of them rowing on the Charles from the dining rooms was terrific.
One of our group is gluten free and the restaurant had quite a few options for her as well as vegan, etc. No, it is not cheap but was very good considering it is a hotel.
We did not rent a car but took the T everywhere. The free hotel shuttle is pretty spotty as others have remarked. We got the driver's cell and invariably he was "in Cambridge and would be a half hour." That usually meant an hour so we typically just walked the mile or so across the river to the T stop right in front of BU. We had good weather but the route can be a little desolate at night along the Charles so I wouldn't recommend it to a lone person/woman. You need to walk/take a cab for $6 to the same area for a drugstore, fast food, etc.
Based on staff's (Ron?-great guy) recommendation we purchased a trolley tour package that was a definite best buy since this hotel is not in the heart of the action. We would walk or take the shuttle to Cambridge and take it to really ANY Boston tourist site for the entire 3 days. Between that and the 3 day T passes we bought we saved a ton of money on transportation.
The only negative was the staff seemed a little clueless when I asked for an urgent care for a problematic, but not emergent, health issue. The only recommendations we received were to go to an ER about 2 miles away. Walgreens and CVS definitely need to expand their walk in clinics to Boston.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 16, 2013

I previoulsy stayed at the Boston Marriott Cambridge which was expensive, drab, and dull. The Hyatt Regency is a superior hotel and less money too.The Front desk was warm and helpful. The rooms were comfortable and updated. Our room had a beautiful view of the Charles. I generally don't prefer one Hotel group over another. but in this case...it is a no brainer.

Room Tip: Try to avoid rooms near the elevator they are noisier. Many of the rooms have river views. Ask for o...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 16, 2013

I have travelled here on business, my boss also stayed in the same hotel. Our company has an agreement with the hotel. Might be the reason for them not trying their very best to make us happy?
Upon arrival (9pm) we were assigned rooms on the lower floors, and my request to be placed in room with 1 King bed was not taken into any consideration. Asked to change the room, and got assigned another room, still with 2 Single beds (comes very handy to a single traveller on business!!!), but at least this room was not overlooking the garage/ventilation system, and was on slightly higher floor. It was clear that due to a conference ongoing, these were the last rooms left in the hotel.There was something up with the tap in the old, outdated bathroom, but since it was the last room available, I was too tired to go through any more hassle.
Neither me or my boss were happy with the rooms we received, so on the second day we have managed to get a promise to be moved - I have given my phone to be called, and the staff has promised to move our bags. Hence we returned to our room after breakfast and packed the bags..just to return to the hotel after full day meetings and notice that we still had the same exact rooms. From moment one wireless network was not woking in my room properly, made quite difficult to read work mails. When I have mentioned that, got promise...
At check-out, I mentioned all the issues I have faced in the hotel, got a promise that someone would call me.
Promise after promise in this hotel none was kept.
Front desk staff was rude and ignorant.
Hyatt Regency, is that how you treat your corporate customers?
It gets a 2 because of the swimming pool, which was convenient, and because the bed was comfortable.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Marketing M, Manager at Hyatt Regency Cambridge, Overlooking Boston, responded to this reviewResponded June 20, 2013

I appreciate you taking the time to share this feedback from your stay last fall. I am extremely sorry for the experience you had and assure you that this is not typical. We would like the opportunity to speak with you directly about your concerns at qualitybosrc@hyatt.com. Again, I apologize for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay. We hope to hear from you. Thank you.

Reviewed June 9, 2013

I stayed and much more expensive hotels than this but I was never treated so good as I was here. The staff went out of there way to make me happy. When I go back to Boston I will always stay at this hotel.

Room Tip: get a room facing the river and Boston
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank kennyh42
Marketing M, Manager at Hyatt Regency Cambridge, Overlooking Boston, responded to this reviewResponded June 17, 2013

Thank you for the kind words! Reviews like this are such a pleasure to read. I’m very happy that you enjoyed your stay at that our associates made such an impact. Thank you for sharing your experience and we look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to the area. Thank you!

Reviewed June 4, 2013

I enjoyed my recent stay at this hotel. My room on the 4th floor was spacious and comfortable with good wifi service. There were 2 design features that I did not appreciate. Firstly the TV was placed so that it could not be watched comfortably from the bed and secondly the shower head was some water-saving type. The bathroom did not have a bath.

The hotel is laid out in an atrium style. I expected to hear a lot of noise because of that, but was pleasantly surprised. In part the quiet may be due to the fact that the bar is located well off the atrium. The only intrusive noise I experienced was the elevator bell; I suspect that about half the rooms would be affected by that because of the layout.

The breakfast buffet was excellent. At checkin I was offered a combined breakfast + internet rate, which I thought to be good value. The package allowed for the connection of up to 6 devices.

The hotel is a long way from anything, so I wouldn't recommend it as a base for sightseeing.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cambridge
Le Meridien Cambridge - MIT
Fenway / Kenmore
Hotel Commonwealth
Hotel Commonwealth
#7 of 84 in Boston

Been to Hyatt Regency Cambridge, Overlooking Boston? Share your experiences!