“Perfunctory Service and expensive internet”

Hyatt Regency Cambridge, Overlooking Boston
Ranked #11 of 19 Hotels in Cambridge
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed May 21, 2013

I stayed that the Hyatt for a recent conference. The hotel is spacious, well appointed and has a wonderful architectural design. The service however is somewhat lacking. The room was tidy upon arrival but the daily cleaning was sporadic and on one occasion my bathroom was completely overlooked. The price of internet access in the rooms was eye watering for this day any age and the coverage of the wifi in the meeting rooms was frustrating. I liked the location, the free shuttle service was great. Overall though I was left feeling the money spent was not rewarded with the service I had hoped for.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank MerchantAdventurer

Reviewed May 19, 2013 via mobile

I stayed there for a week for work. It was all right. Location is right by the river but it's at least a mile walk away from anything in Cambridge and 2 miles away from downtown Boston. They do have a shuttle that drops people off in Cambridge main squares. It was clean and nice but I didn't like breakfast at all! Pool closes at 9 and that was time that I came from work...so I couldn't use it:( gym was so so...I'd rather run by the river. I tried using a treadmill with touch screen control and had to stop because I almost fell off it when for some reason it would abruptly stop saying "no user detected on belt". It is a good hotel but I will stay closer to downtown or Cambridge main areas.

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed May 19, 2013

I have stayed here a number of times over the years. This time it gave me a "tired" vibe for $500 a night with tax and self-parking. The rooms are small with large balconies, and the "king" bed on my reservation is a "queen" if I ever saw one. Uncomfortable for two. Small cramped bathroom with bathtub shower. Nice water pressure. Nice views of the Charles and BU across the river (at least a half mile walk though to the closest part of BU campus). Service was lacking. They didnt replace the coffee for the in-room pot, nor the pay-for $2.75 each bottles of water (no in-room bar or refrigerator). When called to ask for room make-up in late morning due to afternoon scheduling, it took them three hours to arrive. The coffee convenience store had virtually no baked goods, bagels, etc at 9am on a Sunday morning. If your visit isn't related to one of the Cambridge colleges, there are better choices across the river for better prices. I generally like Hyatt hotels, but this one isn't one I'm likely to return to in my frequent visits to Boston.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed May 18, 2013

I stayed here for 5 nights for a conference. The Hotel is clean and well kept. I just had a standard room but, it was clean and the bed was comfortable. My only complaint would be there was no refrigerator in the room. (But I survived! ;-) )

The Staff is fantastic! From the front desk to the wait staff. Everyone went out of their way to make our stay pleasant. I would stay here again!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a water view.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Marketing M, Manager at Hyatt Regency Cambridge, Overlooking Boston, responded to this reviewResponded May 20, 2013

Thank you so much for the great review! It’s wonderful to hear that you enjoyed your room and that our associates went out of their way to make your stay pleasant. It’s a pleasure to read reviews like this and know that we have earned your loyalty. Thank you and we look forward to seeing you again!

Reviewed May 12, 2013

I stayed here for 2 nights while looking for apts in Boston. Could only get a decent rate over in Cambridge. The hotel itself was very nice - very modern. Didn't eat at any of the restaurants but I think it's your standard hotel fare based on the room service I ordered one night.

Speaking on location - You cannot walk anywhere, but there are cabs always waiting and take you really fast to wherever in Boston, or the nearest T stop which are pretty close but not walkwable. They will tell you its a "10 minute walk" but its more like 15 maybe 20 and alongside a highway and over a bridge. It's not actually walkable. But, the cab rate to get to Boston is reasonable, less than a 10 minute ride usually and if you're splitting with someone it's fine. And, they have shuttles to take you to the T stop at Kendall Square on the red line in cambridge, and they will also take you to BU west on the green line, for free, although you should tip the driver. The only thing is they stop running the shuttles at 9pm. Also, on more than one occasion, nobody else was in the shuttle with us, so they dropped us off right at our destination (which the driver is not supposed to do shhhh but I definitely appreciated it) because there was nobody else in the shuttle and it was like the same distance as where they would have dropped us off at the T stop.

I was very disappointed that the fitness facilities/pool did not have a hot tub. Major downside for me.

To add to that, this one night since i couldn't take a hot tub I wanted to take a bath in my room - only thing was that there seemed to be no plug in my bathroom to plug the train. So i called the front desk and they said one would be up in 20 min or less. 40 min goes by and I call again - still nothing. After waiting a half hour more I had to be somewhere so on my way out I went up to the front desk in person and they seemed confused as to why the housekeeping service hadn't brought it up - no fault of the front desk ,great service there. Maybe just a miscommunication or maybe the service in the housekeeping dept could be more efficient, who knows. So they promised me that when I got back to my room later that night it would be there. Hours later, return to the hotel, STILL ISNT THERE. So they called again and finally they brought up a drain plug so I could take a d*mn bath.

Anyway, the hotel is very nice and "sleek" and modern. It's one of those setups where each floor kind of wraps around the sides of the wall as a balcony, and there are see through glass elevators and so when you're on any floor, its just kind of a balcony that wraps around the sides of the building, and you can look over down into the lobby - if that explains it. I'm sure there's pictures on their website. But anyway, everything echos thorugh the whole hotel because of it, so it's not 100% peace and quiet. It's definitely quiet enough, but it's not totally silent or anything. Also, they have a lot of events going on on weekends, the Saturday night I stayed there there was a HS formal going on with strobe lights and the like, and also an Indian wedding on the first floor which looked quite fun! Their music was super super loud though and I could kind of hear it from my room on the fourth floor because of the echo-y nature of the hotel. But it didn't keep me from sleeping, it wasn't like I could hear the music outside my room, but, you know what I mean - you could kind of hear it distantly if you listened.

Room Tip: higher floors probably have less noise but I wouldn't know because I wasn't in one
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed May 9, 2013

I stayed at this Hyatt for a conference and arrived a day before the Memorial for the fallen police office from the Marathan bombings. This hotel was literally on the MIT campus and the event including the Vice President, Joe Biden was right outside my balcony. I had a great view and would
highly recommend a balcony room. You have a beautiful view of the Charles River and the Boston skyline. Outside of a very nice hotel, and a newly renovated room with a view, the staff has to be mentioned. Everyone was so helpful and so nice! I was looking at a map of the hotel and an employee
asked if I needed help. From the valets to the front desk to the restaurant, I never met such friendlier "New Englanders" - even after they find out I am a NY Yankee fan!

Room Tip: High floor - with a balcony. It is huge, private and has a table and chairs
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Marketing M, Manager at Hyatt Regency Cambridge, Overlooking Boston, responded to this reviewResponded May 10, 2013

Thank you for posting a review of your recent experience at Hyatt Regency Cambridge. I’m happy to hear that you enjoyed your visit and took advantage of your balcony and the amazing views of the river. I’m also glad that our associates made such a positive impact on your stay. Some of them are pretty loyal Sox fans, so I’m sure the Yankees vs. Sox conversation was an interesting one. Thank you again for taking the time to share your feedback! We hope to see you again, soon.

Reviewed May 9, 2013

I stayed here for a week and found the hotel to be clean and very comfortable with excellent customer service.
My room overlooked the Charles river and was everything I expected of a Hyatt and more.

The staff were so friendly and helpful and when I had to change rooms because of a noisy A/c they moved me to an identical room and moved all my belonging for me even to the extent of putting my clothes in the same place in the new room
I would not hesitate to recommend it as an ideal base when visiting Boston

Room Tip: A room with a vew of the Charles river
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for the positive review! I apologize that the A/C in your room was noisy, but it’s great that our associates handled the situation properly and were able to move you to a different room. I’m happy that you enjoyed your view and greatly appreciate you recommending Hyatt Regency Cambridge to people traveling to Boston. Thank you!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Cambridge
Courtyard Boston Cambridge
Kimpton Marlowe Hotel
#2 of 19 in Cambridge
Allston / Brighton
DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Boston-Cambridge

Been to Hyatt Regency Cambridge, Overlooking Boston? Share your experiences!