“Good but not Great”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Edmonton, Alberta
“Good but not Great”
Reviewed May 6, 2013

Staying at the Hyatt Regency in Cambridge was pleasant enough and no issue with cleanliness, service from the staff and the meals in the Zephyr for breakfast and dinner were good. However, I was there for a conference and the location was not the greatest as there were no restaurants in the area. The hotel has a shuttle bus to take you to Harvard Square where there are plenty of restaurants and shops but it was a hit and miss scenario, as there were lots of others using the shuttle during the conference. You had to call the shuttle to pick you up, could be 15 minutes or one night I was told 45 minutes so I ended up taking a cab. While the conference planners may have saved money on the venue for the conference I ended up paying for the taxi so I wouldn't be chained to the hotel. So...rooms were good, location not great. Concierge helpful and staff friendly.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (484)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
New Jersey, United States
Reviewed May 2, 2013

This is my first review ever. I thought potential customers might benefit from some info. This is an attractive, clean hotel with very good customer service. It is probably a good fit for business people with expense accounts. That said, my experience was disappointing.

I stayed here for one night with my husband and teen-aged daughters while visiting Boston University. I chose it because I wanted my daughters to have a view of Boston, a pool, and a comfortable room close to the university. I booked far in advance, however, we really got none of the things I expected. My view was called "city/river view," and while all the pictures showed a beautiful view of the Boston skyline looming behind the Charles, which is what I told my children we were getting, we got a partial view of the river and Cambridge. When we called to change rooms, we were told they were booked. So much for booking ahead. The balcony was huge, but there were many cigarette butts jammed into the stone tiles, which I found unpleasant.

The pool they claim to have is really a health club pool divided into laps. They only have one lane on the end designated for "families and children." They also rent pool and gym memberships to the general public, who use the facilities heartily. In addition, they do not allow you to leave the facility without drying your bathing suit. The saunas and steam room are divided by sex, so you cannot enjoy these with your spouse, and the ladies' sauna was broken during our stay.

As for parking, you can self park on the premises, but they do not allow you to use luggage racks in the parking garage, virtually forcing you to use a valet and tip him or her for services you really wouldn't need if they allowed you to use the racks. The also charge you exorbitantly to park, and also to use the internet, at which point they tell you that you can only have three devices connected in total. No exceptions. We ended up paying for theirs and then buying our own hot spot, as we were on a college road trip and all needed our own connections.

Additionally, there is no T connection anywhere near the hotel. By the time you walk to the nearest T, you might as well walk across the bridge into Boston. It is the same mileage.

Lastly, the rooms are very much standard. The beds were smaller than I was led to believe, and our feet hung off the ends. We stayed in a hotel in Maine one night later with huge beds, a larger, more beautifully appointed room, better amenities, great customer service, and an extensive continental breakfast for one quarter of the price of our stay at the Hyatt, which totaled over $400.00 for one night.

My advice is this: Instead of staying in a place close to your reason for the trip, stay in a place close to a T stop. This is much more practical and will give you more options. Also, don't pay for parking, internet, ect. This is passe and something you do not have to endure. Boston is expensive enough for legitimate reasons, let alone inflated ones.

Room Tip: Ask for exactly the view you want.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Laurie D
Marketing M, Manager at Hyatt Regency Cambridge, Overlooking Boston, responded to this review, May 3, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience at Hyatt Regency Cambridge. I appreciate that you began your review by stating that you liked the hotel overall and that our customer service was very good. Thank you. Regarding our location, we are a very popular hotel for families and friends of BU, MIT and Harvard students due to accessibility. As you stated, the train is about a 15 minute walk, but we also provide a complimentary shuttle that is able to drop you off if you prefer. I hope that you were able to take advantage of that service.

I apologize that the terrace outside of your room was not cleaned properly. There is absolutely no excuse for that and we will share your feedback directly with our housekeeping team in an effort to continue to train our associates.

In general, I am sorry that your experience didn’t match up with your expectations. We definitely appreciate your honest feedback and will continue to research area pricing and services in an effort to stay in line with neighboring hotels. We would be happy to discuss your stay further if you would give us the opportunity. Please feel free to contact qualitybosrc@hyatt.com to continue the conversation. Thank you.
cherry hill,nj
Reviewed April 30, 2013

Enjoyed my stay. Staff was very nice. I got an upgrade to a river view. The view was fabulous. Breakfast in the Zephyr was excellent. Good choices. The shuttle service to Harvard Sq. was very convenient. It was prompt. Comfortable beds with nice sheets. Towels were terrible....worn and thin. Elevators made too much noise. Hyatt is a good choice.

Room Tip: get a river view room
1 Thank misty1
Reviewed April 28, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for the Boston marathon. I thought the hotel was extremely clean. They were nice and held my bag till my room was ready. I did think the price of breakfast was a little expensive ($14) and I didn't get Internet service because that was a separate charge too. Besides that I enjoyed my stay very much.

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank Cutegabs
Reviewed April 28, 2013 via mobile

Overall stay was okay. The wait staff in the restaurants was terrible....very slow, not attentive to the needs of their customers. Hopefully they will improve service soon. The hotel in a beautiful location.

• Stayed April 2013
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed April 23, 2013

Stayed several nights while attending a conference at the Hyatt Cambridge. Not only did they have a great offer, but the rooms were extremely comfortable. They offer a free shuttle service to and from Kendall/MIT, Harvard Square and a few other spots, which was perfect for me. When in a hurry, a 7buck cab ride to the Kendall/MIT T (subway) stop.

2nd time I've stayed at a Hyatt in Boston and must say starting to really like them. Hyatt offers a number of extra's at no additional cost, which was really a nice touch (ex; free bathrobes, bathroom slippers, shaving utensils etc)

The entrance looks a bit drap though, but if you use the hotel as the base for work or stay, it's ideal.

Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed April 23, 2013

My stay at the Hyatt was exceptional, despite the surrounding events. (I stayed at the hotel during the week of the Boston Marathon bombings and suspect manhunt.) The Hyatt kept guests continuously updated, increased security, and maintained their high level of customer service throughout the crazy week. I felt very safe and well cared for.

The staff was extremely friendly, provided excellent customer service, and was happy to be of assistance. If you are not familiar with the Boston/Cambridge area, ask the front desk or shuttle drivers for recommendations on restaurants, bars, shopping, and attractions. They are very knowledgeable of the area and had excellent recommendations!

I definitely recommend staying at the Hyatt Regency, the staff is incredible and the hotel is lovely!

Room Tip: The views from the hotel of the river and the Boston skyline are incredible. If you are visiting du...