“You can do better in Cambridge”

Hyatt Regency Cambridge, Overlooking Boston
Ranked #10 of 20 Hotels in Cambridge
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed October 25, 2012

This hotel has all the charm of a chain motel plopped next to a freeway exit. At first glance, the hotel has a lot going for it: a great location next to the Charles River, a distinctive building (dated, but at least it's memorable) and a good infrastructure with a health club.

Somehow, Hyatt manages to take all these good points and make the place feel like a Days Inn. Examples: when I checked in, I asked if I could make a change to my reservation. I was told that I had to call Hyatt to do so. Since when are hotel reception staff unable to make changes to reservations? When I went to the bar/lounge/restaurant, I sat down and listened as the staff talked about how they couldn't wait to go home. In a city where there are lots of great options for food and cocktails, their food was reminiscent of Denny's.

Housekeeping was great and the room was comfortable if tiny. I only wish that they had invested in soundproofing the rooms so that I didn't have to hear my neighbor's late night phone calls.

How can a hotel with so much going for it end up with such a mediocre product and unenthusiastic service?

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Embarcadero1
Marketing M, Public Relations Manager at Hyatt Regency Cambridge, Overlooking Boston, responded to this reviewResponded October 29, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts regarding your recent stay. I’m disappointed to hear that your experience did not meet our high standards of service. I deeply apologize and want to assure you that our level of customer service is better than that. I have shared your comments with our team and we will ensure that the proper training takes place to prevent a similar occurrence. Again, thank you for sharing your feedback; Although we never want to receive negative reviews, it always helps us to improve. We hope you’ll give us another opportunity in the future. Thank you.

There are newer reviews for Hyatt Regency Cambridge, Overlooking Boston

Reviewed October 24, 2012

There is a true disconnection between the dated hotel exterior/lobby and the modern feel of the rooms and fitness spa. Overall, I enjoyed my stay in room 316. The front desk staff was friendly and accommodating, the elevators were fast (which is very important for a large hotel) and the fitness center had decent equiptment for a hotel gym--offering spectacular views from the cardio room. Room 316 was updated and the styling was in line with the other recently updated Hyatt Regency's. My view of the charles river was very nice and I loved many of the room features (e.g. showerhead, germ free phones, comfortable bed, decore, etc).

As other reviewers mentioned, the neighborhood is quiet, but there is a shuttlebus that takes guests to places like Harvard square. I took it once and it was very easy/reliable. I also walked quite a bit (the neighborhood seems very safe).

There is room for improvement, particularly with nickel-and-diming guests for things like $5 aquafina water (bleh!) and $10 - $13 daily Internet fees. In addition, details such as dusting under the nightstand protective glass have been ignored--mine was filled with dust and crumbs! Finally, i was not impressed with the myriad of fake plants in the hotel, as well as the lack of HD tv channels/inability to use my lodgenet iPhone app (I fear hotel remote controls).

In all, I had s good, solid stay at this location and will likely return (hopefully to complimentary bottles of water/internet!

Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed October 24, 2012

Stayed here for business in May 2012. The staff was extremely courteous when I checked in, and since the room I originally booked wasn't available, I got a nice room upgrade for free. The room had a beautiful view of the Charles river.

I walked to BU and MIT daily, which were very close. I also walked over to Fenway for a Sox game. If you don't feel like walking places, the hotel offers a free shuttle to the transit stations which you can use to get all around Boston.

I'd definitely recommend this hotel, particularly for business travelers.

Room Tip: Get a room with a view of the river and wake up to watching the crew teams in the morning.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business

Thank you for writing a review about your stay at Hyatt Regency Cambridge. I’m happy to hear that you were able to take advantage of our location and walk to MIT, BU and Fenway. It’s definitely a walking city and our location along the river makes it a very enjoyable hike. We hope to welcome you back during your next visit to the city. Thank you!

Reviewed October 24, 2012

I'm here on business, my company has a great room rate of 215 inc breakfast and wifi..and the rooms, as the website says have been refurbished..I am a light sleeper who often struggles with soft hotel beds but my room was super quiet (.9th floor overlooking the entrance..no river view) and the bed comfort exceptional. Sadly like most American hotels the central air system sounds like a mini tornado, and there is no free welcome bottle of water, the 1 litre bottle in my room cost 5 dollars. I walked about last night and given it is in the heart of the MIT campus it felt very safe. Nothing close nearby for eating but I headed to Kendall square which was a 15 minute stroll..yet to have my free breakfast but I am sure it will be voluminous...hotel staff very friendly..

Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 22, 2012 via mobile

This is one of the nicer Hyatts I've stayed in. River views are worth it and my daughter loved the glass elevators. Good hotel if you know the area and dare to drive around.
Not really within close walking distance of signature neighborhoods within Boston or Cambridge. If you're visiting Boston for the first time, trying to drive around Boston will not be pleasant. I'd recommend The Charles Hotel (Harvard Square), Lenox (Back Bay) or my favorite The Boston Harbor Hotel (Rowe's Wharf).

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed October 19, 2012

While this hotel is definitely not a dive, it's odd. We were put into a corner room that obviously used to be a suite - so it's smaller and oddly divided/shaped.
Street noise is a big issue for me - in a hotel of this calibre I expect silence or at least minimal noise. I was sure our windows must have been open, it was so LOUD!

Other odd things - housekeeping hours. Our first day we were out of the room much of the day - came back close to 4pm and were getting changed and "knock knock...housekeeping". We asked them for a few minutes and they didn't come back. The next morning (out checkout morning) at 8am....again...knock knock. Odd.
The only other complaint is the shower pressure. The water pressure in the other weird. Out of the sink, crazy pressure. Out of the tub - crazy pressure.....out of the shower - barely enough pressure to rinse shampoo out of your hair. Bleh

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank leahmasson
Reviewed October 19, 2012

Just wrapping up my stay here. No complaints.

While I did not have the view of the Charles, my room was fine. It's clean, and the service here is very good. I received a decent rate (for Boston) so I feel like it's a good value.

Would stay here again.