“Worst night sleep in a hotel EVER...but you may sleep like a baby!”

Hyatt Regency Cambridge, Overlooking Boston
Ranked #11 of 19 Hotels in Cambridge
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed January 24, 2008

I know...the title of my review sounds contradictory and 99% of the population would probably love this hotel and have no problems with it. I, however, am a light sleeper that prefers the cold weather. This hotel didn't fit in with those two things.

I stayed at the Cambridge Hyatt for one night on January 22, 2008. I was in town for a business meeting. I didn't choose the hotel; my employer did. I also didn't have to pay for the room so I am grateful for that.

The hotel is in a great location. It was a $26 cab ride from the airport. That included the tolls. And it was an $8 cab ride from the Prudential Center in Boston where we had dinner. Hotel check in was fast and easy. I arrived at 4 PM and was checked in within 3 minutes. Again, it was prearranged for me by my employer so all I had to do was secure the room with a credit card for incidentals and sign a piece of paper.

The room itself was very nice. I was in room 628. It was a king non smoking room. There was a small but adequate bathroom, a large full length mirror right inside the door, a fantastic bed with more pillows than you could ever want, two chairs, a table, a desk with keyboard for the internet and a TV. There wasn't a mirror above the desk. Not important to some but if you want to sit and do your hair or make up, you had to sit on the floor in front of the full length mirror. There were two outlets in the bathroom. A wall mounted hair dryer used one outlet. Just outside the bathroom was a small dresser with a single serve coffee maker. I made a cup on the morning of the 23rd and it tasted like the plastic packaging it came in. My guess is they don't rotate stock and if no one makes coffee for 6 months, the same coffee packet is there for 6 months. The TV had 15 or 20 basic cable channels and very good reception. The room had two phones and an alarm clock.

Those are the basics of the room. Here's why I had the worst night sleep ever in a hotel and will never stay at this hotel again in winter. There is an air conditioning/heater thermostat in the room. When I entered the room, I found it hot. So I lowered the temperature to what I keep it at in my own house; 66 degrees. Yes, cold to some but comfortable to us where we live in Denver. The unit kicked on but the air coming out was hot. I waited a while and the room never cooled off. It felt hotter. Finally I called the front desk.

The front desk phone was answered by a very polite man named Jeremy. Jeremy tried to solve the problem for me but he couldn't. Jeremy told me that the hotel is old and that in winter they run warm water through the pipes for the heating/air conditioning system and no matter how cold I try to make it, the air will still be hot. If they ran cold water through the pipes in winter, they'd freeze. Understandable but that doesn't give me a climate controlled room. It gives me a heated room whether I like it or not and I don't like it. Again, Jeremy tried very hard and he was very polite but he didn't solve the problem.

First I asked Jeremy if I could have a fan. He said he'd send one up. I waited and about 15 minutes later Jeremy called back and said there were no fans. He then told me that I could open the window. OK...great. It's 40 degrees outside. That'll work. I went to open the window and it only opened 2 inches. It's going to take a while to cool off the room! But great...I've found a way to let the hot air out and cool off the room. I turned off the heating system and let mother nature cool my room.

Had the heat been my only problem, it would have been solved by the open window. My bigger problem is that I'm a light sleeper and I have to sleep with some kind of white noise in order to sleep. At home I use a fan. In hotels I usually use the heating or air conditioning system with a fan setting. Since I turned off the heating system to stop the hot air, I no longer had the noise of the heating system to help me go to sleep.

After a long dinner with coworkers and an after dinner drink in the hotel bar, I headed up to see if I could sleep. The room was wonderfully cool although dead silent. I got into bed at midnight and tossed and turned for an hour. By 1 AM I was asleep but was awoken by random noises from outside every 20 minutes or so because the window was open. By 5 AM when the trash trucks showed up, I'd had less than 4 hours sleep and there was no getting back to sleep for me. I got up at 5 AM and waited around for my 8:30 breakfast.

There were many things I liked about this hotel but unfortunately for me having a climate controlled room is a top priority. For those of you that think my complaints are silly...well, that may be true. But everyone has something that's important to them and being able to control my temperature and have white noise to sleep are important to me.

A few other things worth noting. There weren't any restaurants or stores close enough to walk to so catching a quick meal or buying a soda was out. There is a parking garage; not sure what the fee is and there is a bell man outside to get you a cab if needed. Guest services will hold your bag if you have things to do on check out day. You can also check in for your flight and print boarding passes from a computer at the check in desk. The business center is open 24 hours and there's a gym.

2  Thank MileHighGirl

Reviewed January 23, 2008

I am extremely unsatisfied with the stay I had at the Hyatt Cambridge in Mass, USA on January 22 2007. I arrived at the room and was greeted with the wrong bed type. I went to call the front desk using the room phone to be moved to a room with single bed for my wife and I and a cockroach came out of the phone and crawled onto my face. I told the front desk Manager Sarah B. to call the Hyatt Regency Boston and let them know we would like a room. Sarah told me that the Hyatt Regency Boston had accused of causing the same bug situation and that Samir at the Hyatt Regency Boston "did not ever want to see us again." I was told there were no rooms at the Hyatt Regency Boston. I went to the Hyatt Regency Boston and was directed to the desk agent Yessy a kind and courteous young lady. From her smile at greeting us since we met her on a previous stay I could tell that Sarah B. had fabricated the story that we had caused trouble at the Boston Hyatt. Yessy of the Hyatt Boston made clear that we were welcome in the hotel and she would be happy to give us a room since many were available. I spoke to the manager Samir who told me that he did not tell Sarah B. of the Cambridge Hyatt that he never wanted to see us and that the story that we had caused trouble at the Boston Hyatt was a lie. I politely requested that we receive a discounted room since we expected to pay 127.00 to stay at the Hyatt Cambridge and could not afford the 250.00 rate at the Hyatt Boston. After I showed Samir the cockroach that I had killed at the Hyatt Cambridge he informed us that the hotel was willing to give us a 26.00 discount and that we must pay 224.00 to stay at the Hyatt Cambridge. I told him that this was unfair and that as a representative of Hyatt he should show understanding and compassion and give us a better rate. He told us that he didn't feel he had to compensate for the flaws of the Hyatt Cambridge. This whole conversation was witnessed by Yessy at the front desk. Also I had a recording device in my pocket which I use for work that I turned on as soon as Sarah B. in Cambridge started to be rude which was almost immediately. Furthermore, the tape discusses signs of struggle as Sarah B. tried to snatch the cockroach from me when I showed it to her at the desk. I intend to sue for pain and suffering. Furthermore, I have already contacted my affiliates at CNN and am working with them to air the tape of hospitality craziness as a news story on television broadcast. I also am in possession of their cockroach should anyone require visual proof of the situation.

Reviewed January 8, 2008

Parking is a rip-off. Even self-park is $35. And the garage is nothing special.
The front desk clerk told me that Hyatt doesn't run the garage but contracts with an independent company. hmmm. Hyatt still owns the garage and is STILL responsible for the rates.
There are no other parking facilities nearby so Hyatt knows drivers have no choice. Evidently they see that as an opportunity to rip us off.

• Stayed: January 2008
Reviewed January 4, 2008

This hotel is not that good.

The room I stayed in had a temperature control that didnt work. It was around 85 degrees in my room and I couldnt get it down to around 65 -- I set the temp to 60 but that didnt do anything. Since I like to sleep in a cooler room I had to open the window and let in the below zero outdoor temperatures to cool the room down. This is how hot the room was...it wasnt until 5AM that I finally was cold and had to shut the window.

The hotel's location is not very convenient and is not near the subway (its probably about a mile to the closest train stop in Cambridge). You are pretty much stuck taking a cab to and from places unless you have a car. If you do have a car, be prepared to be ripped off by the $35 nightly parking fee.

The bathroom wasnt very clean. There was hair in the tub and on one of the towels.

I would not recommend this hotel to anyone. There are dozens of other hotels in Cambridge and Boston that are much better than this one.

Reviewed January 3, 2008

I recently stayed at the Cambridge Hyatt with my husband. We have had great experiences at other Hyatts, so I didn't take the time to check Tripadvisor about this hotel. Big mistake.

Everything in the room was dirty. The carpet and chairs were stained. The walls and doors needed a serious scrubbing. The shower reminded me of an old school locker room. There was no place to put anything in the shower, but on the floor, which seemed like it had mold on it. There was no do not disturb card in the room and we had to ask 3 times before we got one. When we called the front desk to try to change rooms, we were told that all the rooms were similarly dirty. We didn't pay much for the room, or I would have been seriously upset.

The $35 a day parking was quite pricey.

The few good things about the room were the comfortable bed and a nice view of the Charles.

The whole hotel could use a major renovation.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 3, 2008

I've really wanted to like this place both times I've stayed. It's a great location if you're willing to walk a bit to public transit and it's convenient to BU. Nice view of the city, too. Sadly though, the carpet was badly stained and worn. The shower head was cracked and sent a stream of water to the ceiling which was discolored because it had evidently been like this for awhile.

I'm trying to decide if the unfriendliness of the staff is just New England-style surliness or hotelwide indifference to service.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled solo
Reviewed January 1, 2008

My husband recently stayed at this hotel for an orthopaedic convention in town. Normally staying at high end hotels for these conventions, his initial reaction when checking into the lobby was unimpressive. They lost his first nights reservation (which he had a confirmation number) but let him in anyway.

His room: (and I am not exaggerating) stains on rugs, stains and dirt on walls (that hadnt been repainted in years) and the room temperatures were unable to be individually regulated. His first night was unbearable because of the heat that couldnt be adjusted. When complained they never actually showed up to do anything.

Room Service: Service was passable, but the food was the worst that he had ever experienced in any room service. (I am much pickier than him, so if it was bad it had to be really bad). He had to send back the pizza that was unedible to get a second unedible pizza. Salads and salad dressing were substandard.

Food and appetizers presented to physicians were equally substandard. You would think that with 500 orthopaedic surgeons staying at their hotel they would try to make an impression. His peers were equally disappointed.

The only thing that was good at his stay was the Sunday brunch!

In spike of all his terrible experience, he was given no credits and would even not allow him to check out an hour later because they were "too busy". However, the person behind the desk upon check out said that they were really slow that day.

Stayed: December 2007
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cambridge
Le Meridien Cambridge - MIT
Fenway / Kenmore
The Verb Hotel
The Verb Hotel
#12 of 84 in Boston

Been to Hyatt Regency Cambridge, Overlooking Boston? Share your experiences!