“Memorably horrible stay”

Boston Marriott Cambridge
Ranked #8 of 20 Hotels in Cambridge
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed March 3, 2011

I have stayed at the Cambridge Marriott many times and until my check-in yesterday, I thought it was an excellent place to stay and my preferred hotel for visiting MIT. I have stayed at 4 or 5 other hotels in Cambridge. My experiences last night and yesterday were among the worst I've encountered in over 30 years of business travel.

The most appalling part was last night. The fire alarms went off at 12:20 AM. Despite calling the front desk three times on about hourly basis, the strobe light and associated clicking did not cease in my room until 3:59 AM. To add insult to injury, this morning there was a note slid under the door saying the alarm was cleared at 1:05 AM. There is a huge difference between losing 45 minutes of sleep and losing 3 hours and 40 minutes!!!

The attitude of the resident manager in that note (and he didn't answer his extension at 8:30 this morning) meshed with the bad experiences between my check-in and the fire alarm.

I ordered distilled water through room service for my CPAP machine at an outrageous cost. When it arrived, I saw it was Italian natural spring water. If you want distilled water for medical equipment you do not want natural spring water. The person delivering it to me, insisted it was distilled water. I gave up and signed for it, but the hotel failed miserably on that one.

The "wired for business" internet access was anything but and was the subject of my prior complaint. I followed the "plug in, power up, browse on" and got to google, but couldn't get to my vpn, so I called the help line and had to wait. Then the person at the help desk said that the 512K for $12.95 would work for me and he helped me sign up for my entire stay. I accessed my vpn, but the speed was so miserably slow, my mail would not load into outlook, so I ended up wasting almost 30 minutes calling back and going through complicated gyrations to switch to the $16.95 service. My experience is that when hotels rip off their guest with high priced internet it is not nearly as good as the free internet at less expensive hotels. This Marriott is wired to impede business.

Also, the toilet in my room would not flush, because the handle had disconnected from the plunger, so I had to call for repairs.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank EveSp
There are newer reviews for Boston Marriott Cambridge

Reviewed February 11, 2011

Went for Christmas... they gave us a great rate, and a room on the higest floor... the floor to celing windows afforded a spectacular view of Cambridge... the hotel was almost empty, and we got super VIP service at all times as a result... I loved this room, and would stay there again in a heartbeat (especially with the Hotwire rate)

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 6, 2011

I stayed for several nights over two separate stays and found eveyrthing reasonably agreeable. Staff were very polite and helpful and location excellent. My rooms were quiet, comfortable and clean. My only small gripe is that room decor was a bit humdrum (I wonder when they last remodelled; during these difficult economic times, many hotels have been putting that off). Upper floor rooms on the river side offer very nice views of Boston. Food at the hotel was OK, which for me is high praise. (Dining out in this country is a challenge for culinary purists and the health conscious!).

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed December 31, 2010

My husband and I stayed two nights at the Cambridge Marriott. We loved how close it was to the T. The hotel was everything you would expect from a Marriott- good service, clean rooms and comfortable amenities. The rooms were a little dark (lighting) but ours has an incredible view of the city. The ladies at the check-in were very helpful with directions and gave us maps and pointers. The major downside to this Marriott is that they charged extra for everything. It was 24 bucks to park and 18 for internet.

• Stayed: December 2010
Reviewed December 11, 2010

Just spent almost two weeks at this place and found it to be a typical USA Marriott (not to compare with Marriott's in Asia!).
The location is very convenient right next to Kendall Subway Station, there are a few nice dining places in walking distance too.
Rooms are average, very good bed with a rather small Bathroom. Internet was free of charge. They have a nice gym with a pool, can become pretty crowded between 5 and 7 though. Service was mediocre, especially check-out was not very friendly, the bell captain could definitely have been more helpful. The Concierge Lounge on the 24th floor has a nice view over Cambridge and parts of Boston, other then that it's nothing to write home about.
There is also a bar and a Grill Place in the hotel - the bar has a decent selection of drinks and some snacks, I did not visit the restaurant.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed December 10, 2010

I stayed here for a conference and was a bit worried as to how accessible it would be; would I be able to go out in the evenings easily etc. No worries, the T is literally just outside the front door and Harvard Square and the centre of Boston are but a few minutes away.
My room was on the 18th floor and the views over Boston and the Charles River were superb but if you suffer from vertigo you may not enjoy the floor to ceiling windows!
The room was very comfortable and clean. Had breakfast in Starbucks most days as it was an early start for the conference and this i found, ate up my dollars. I was certainly Starbucked out by the end of the stay.
In the evenings you can eat in the hotel ( I didn't) or ther is a Legal Seafood a short distance away. Plenty of food in Harvard Square though, some good bookshops and a nice buzz in the evening. if I'm in Boston again, this is definitely where I'll be staying.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed December 9, 2010

The Marriott Cambridge was fairly good. I had just stayed in a different hotel out of town, that far exceeded expectations, so it had a lot to live up to. The rooms were reasonable size with twin queen sized beds. The bedlinen and furniture were clean and comfortable. I stayed four nights. I found the staff to be efficient, but not overly helpful. For example, there was a water fountain in the reception area, but when this was empty, the desk staff just shrugged their shoulders when I asked for a refill. (luckily there was another water fountain in the pool area, but they never offered this solution). There were two bottles of water in the rooms priced at $4.50 each!! Coffee and tea making facilities were fine, as was the TV.
The pool area was nice, with a jacuzzi. There was a reasonable sized gym room also. The changing rooms were clean and well presented. There was an on-site Starbucks, and a restaurant, but I didn't eat there. There were numerous cafe's for breakfast nearby. The hotel is situated right next to the Kendall MIT red line station on the T, so its very cheap and easy to cross the river into Boston itself. I was on holiday, so spent most of the day in the Boston area, only coming back to Cambridge at night.
The price of this hotel was far cheaper than the Boston side hotels, but was ideally located for getting around using the subway. A small annoyance was that the housekeeping staff would make a lot of noise from around 7:30am, banging on room doors, and vacuuming the corridors.

• Stayed: November 2010