“OK for the price”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Singapore, Singapore
“OK for the price”
Reviewed May 10, 2009

Check-in was smooth, although the bellhops were a bit overworked so we ended up hauling our luggage up ourselves. The rooms are reasonably big, albeit a bit tired looking. Wifi is fast, which is great for the business traveller. However, there isn't a kettle in the room, nor any free water - it's chargeable at $5/bottle - be careful! Other than that, it's a basic, functional 3* hotel for the price.

The location is excellent - right in the middle of MIT.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (247)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed May 5, 2009

We stayed at the Marriott for the Boston marathon weekend. The hotel is incredibly convenient to most points in Boston, as well as in regard to exploring Cambridge. As most reviewers have already pointed out, the T stop is directly in front of the hotel and it’s only one stop into Boston. We stayed on the 10th floor and had fabulous views of Boston.

The front desk was helpful in guiding us to the Cambridge Brewing Company for dinner (it’s a few blocks away), as well as in finding the nearest D&D for coffee (one block away). A Starbucks is in the hotel for those who prefer that coffee chain. It’s an incredibly convenient location.

There were a number of things, however, I found annoying about this hotel, especially in concern to the price tag of staying there. First, is the issue of paying for an internet connection. We had some business to conduct, so we forked over the $12.95. The wireless connection, however, was incredibly slow. I ended up plugging the computer in to the jack in the room for quicker service. By the way, for future guests - we noticed that the Au Bon Pain, not even a half block away, provided FREE wireless internet service.

Secondly, the elevators were utterly slow throughout our entire stay. For instance, I waited 20 minutes for the elevator one morning and in the afternoon, after 10 minutes of waiting, decided to take the stairs (a Marriott employee told me they were working on two of the elevators). The stairs were not well marked and there wasn’t any signage in the stairwell to guide you to an exit point. We, along with two other families, ended up in the basement of the hotel, where the janitors, housekeeping and the human resources offices were maintained. An employee seemed surprised by our “visit” but mentioned that this happens all of the time. This is simply unacceptable. This hotel needs to get their elevators up and working on a consistent basis, as well as have appropriate signage in the stairwell. We were on the 10th floor, so 10 flights aren’t that cumbersome to us. However, if you have difficulty walking or were on a higher floor (there are 26 floors), it would have been a major issue.

Finally, the TV service was dreadful. A few of the regular channels froze on a continual basis. We ordered a movie to our room (~$12.00) and the movie just turned off in the middle of the showing. We had to call down to the front desk, and the employee that answered wasn’t surprised by this complaint. He told us to re-order the movie and they would not charge us for a second order.

The Cambridge Marriott needs to work on a number of issues with the hotel. Quite simply, the technology features that they charge a hefty price tag for need to work. Non-working elevators in a hotel so large should NEVER be an issue. Get your act together, Cambridge Marriott.

The next time we visit for the marathon, we’ll be staying at the Kendall Hotel in Cambridge, just down the road from the CM.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
New Hampshire, USA
Reviewed May 2, 2009

It started out quite well, with an exceptionally warm and informational welcome by the man at the Front Desk... despite the sign next to my elbow apologizing for elevator maintenance. The elevator came quickly, looked fine and whisked me up to the 16th floor. The room was the familiar nicely-appointed and adequate size for two queen size beds, a pull-out workdesk and table and chairs. The view was spectacular with downtown Boston across the river. I was happy... until I went into the bathroom. Someone had left the toilet seat and cover up, and in the bowl was what looked like urine. Not a disaster, but not in keeping with everything up to then.

I needed to work on my computer and discovered that there was a charge for the Internet connection. I usually stay at Marriotts and had to read the information out loud and slowly to myself to make sure I was understanding it correctly. Yep, it was my first Marriott that didn't have free Internet. Ohh-kay.

Someone had sent me an audio file, but the air exchanger was so loud, I couldn't hear the dialog. Turning the tiny speakers to maximum just made it loud and garbled. I figured that a lower fan speed would be better. Unfortunately, there was no speed selection, just on and off. I turned it off. It was too cold in the room anyway. Ahhh. The quiet made me aware of how loud the fan had been. I gazed out the floor-to-ceiling windows at the beautiful sunset as Boston's night lights began to appear. Very nice. I played the audio file and everything was perfect, until "thump, thump, thump, thump, thump, etc." for about 15 seconds. It wasn't so loud that I couldn't hear the audio, but it was more than "a distant sound." When it was over, I thought it was gone. Wrong! Apparently it was the elevator, and I was five or six rooms away from it! After the fourth or fifth thumping episode, I decided to live with the fan noise. It drowned-out the thumping elevator, and the constant drone was easier to get used to.

I finished working, took a shower, put on a fresh shirt, tie and jacket and went downstairs to see if the Concierge had any dining suggestions. When I got to his desk, he was on the phone. I stood there about 15 seconds, waiting for him to acknowledge me in some way... eye contact, raised eyebrows, hand motion... you know, the usual things we do to signal "I know you're there, and will be with you soon." He finally raised his eyes for a quick glance... eye-to-eye, for a second... then head down and back to the phone call. He took a few quick steps about eight feet to the end of his "L" shape desk, picked a few folders out of a drawer, and walked back to where I was standing... his head still down, and no acknowledgment.

Figuring he was going to be a while, I decided to walk to the end of his desk where the folders were and where he had just been. Meanwhile, two young men walked up to where I had been standing. They stood there a few seconds, and Mr. Concierge finished his phone call, and asked them something (probably how he could help them). They both looked at me, as if to imply that I was there before them. Mr. Concierge didn't take the cue. They said something to him and he came down to "my" end of the desk, picked up a folder and walked back to where he was and gave it to them. They ended their business and he began shuffling things around. I called "Hello?" No response. I tried it again, louder, "HELLO!" Ta-da! He looked at me quizzically. "Are you the Concierge?" I asked. He said, "Yes, but you have to come over here." I said, "Are you saying that you can't talk to me if I'm here? "Yes," he said. Incredulous, I asked "So in order for me to ask you a question about one of these fliers, I have to walk over there?" He said, "Yes."

I walked the eight feet over to where he was standing, and said with a smile, "How's this?" I figured he must be joking, and I was willing to play along. Turns out I was wrong. I realized I was dealing with someone who might have learned he was working his last week there, or maybe he was just filling-in and really worked in the shipping department, or who know what. I asked him for restaurant recommendations. He put a list of area restaurants in front of me and pointed in the directions of the locations of the first few that were closest. He also mentioned that the "Lobby Cafe" was serving food, and that was in the building. He said I could keep the list. I asked for his name, said "thanks," and walked over to the Lobby Cafe.

The guy behind the bar at the Lobby Cafe was as welcoming as the Concierge. I saw him notice me as I walked down the hallway toward the open entrance. He quickly looked elsewhere as I walked in. The place was empty except for a table with four women who appeared to be having a good time. One of them asked him something and he walked over to them and chatted while I stood at the bar, skimming the menu he left there for me. I walked out.

Positives: Spectacular view and the usual very comfortable Marriott bed.

Negatives: Sour attitude of everyone except the Front Desk people; urine in the toilet upon arrival; loud thumping noise from elevator; noisy air exchange.

Never again!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
3 Thank Kentuck
Bengaluru, India
Reviewed April 30, 2009

This is a great place to stay and often you can get very good deals at this place. The location is great bang on MIT and just minutes from places to visit in Cambridge and Boston. We went in December and got a great deal, much better than anything we could find in other similar quality hotels in the area. We also had a great river view room with a view of Boston.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
Sydney
Reviewed April 24, 2009

Nice hotel; one of the few decent places in town that hasn't become completely unaffordable. Location is good - not too much directly around the hotel (except Kendall Cinemas), but right on top of the T station so easy access to everywhere in Cambridge & Boston. Parking is a rip-off. Otherwise a good place to stay.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
NJ
Reviewed February 24, 2009

Just stayed there on latest trip to Cambridge. Location is walking distance to MIT. Also have Kendall station right outside hotel. But area doesn;t have much around. THere is food court with limited hours (at least on weekend) and then Legal Seafood. Front of bldg is on Broadway, though large open courtyard facing MAin street. Limited space in front if you are driving there and want to unload stuff for check-in. On Friday night, had to park along curb since the valets had not moved any of the cars in front.

As for the hotel inside, it was pretty nice. Room was clean with king bed and pullout sofa. I like the sink being outside of the bathroom. The bathroom itself large, but configured in strange manner. Opening door almost hits the toilet, and there is large open/unused space in front of toilet. There is no wastebasket in there. Also, no counter or place to put belongings. Seems weird for chain like Marriott.

The lack of free wi-fi is my biggest complaint. How could chain like that not offer it, especially in the technology area it is in!!!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank njmmmom19
Ellsworth, Maine
Reviewed February 21, 2009

Okay, with a hotel in a chain the size of Marriott, and in as technologically advanced a location, it's almost laughable that they do not offer free wi-fi ANYWHERE in the facility. You have to pay $12.95 per day for wi-fi access. One of the hotel staff told me that if I were to go across the street to Cosi (a coffee and pastry shop) that they have free wi-fi there. No thanks. I'm really puzzled by this. When every McDonalds, Dunkin' Donuts, heck, even 7-11s offer and advertise free wi-fi, why can't a classy outfit like a Marriott have it?

I was also disappointed that there was no fridge and/or microwave in the rooms, and no continental breakfast offered. I know, there's a Starbucks, and a breakfast bistro on the property, but sheesh. Would a few muffins, bagels and some juice be that hard?

On a positive note, the beds were HEAVENLY. Seriously - SOOOO soft and warm..

So yeah, I'd stay there again (great proximity to the Kendall T Red Line stop right outside the doors), but I'd encourage them to get their act together and start offering free wi-fi like the rest of the free world.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family