“Location and staff great -- just a few issues”

Boston Marriott Cambridge
Ranked #8 of 19 Hotels in Cambridge
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed May 11, 2014

1) Wired Ethernet did not work and engineering could not fix
2) Self-parking at $40//day is an outrage and no good NEARBY alternatives -- this is not Manhattan. No need to punish guests who are already paying top dollar to be in this hotel and location. Find a way to delight Marriott Rewards frequent customers, not alienate them before they have found the room.
3) Concierge floor lounge evening food was average for a supposed 5-star hotel -- though lounge staff was great.
On the positive side:

Views are remarkable from the high floors, staff service level was excellent and appropriate for this price category of hotel. And they also have a guest washer-dryer (relatively new machines) with free detergent for those who were poor planners and ran out of clean items.

Adjacent Champions Bar is very nice, grreat beer choices.

Location -- whether heading to Boston or Somerville from hotel -- can't be beat with Red Line outside the door.

Room needs one more sitting location (foot stool) so that 2 people could look out the window at the same time.

If you can request a high floor, river view, to watch the scullers and sailboats, highly recommend.

Room Tip: High floor, river view, away from elevator.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank agetech
Write a ReviewReviews (1,023)

Reviewed May 2, 2014

I have stayed here twice and will be back in next few weeks. My daughter attends Boston College and we have found this hotel to be very convenient to the campus, 5 miles away about a 20 minute drive. The rooms are nice and great views from upper floor. You can Valet (check for special packages) or self park in garage next door for $40.00 a night. Starbucks in lobby, restaurant on site is very good. Also within walking distance to several other restaurants.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed May 1, 2014

Stayed here for a conference at MIT. Very convenient to the campus and the T, so we did not need to take out our car. Very comfortable beds. Clean room, friendly staff. They also had a mobile check in and check out which was great,checked in on line and told them when we would get there, walked up and key was ready, worked great. Starbucks in the Lobby was convenient and places to eat next door and across the street. We were on the 23rd floor facing the river, great view. In our room there was a frig (obviously the old honor bar) that was helpful.

Room Tip: Ask for high floor facing the river.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank rorudupa
Reviewed April 28, 2014

While I regret I will not be staying here during this visit I had the wonderful opportunity to speak with Cathleen either at the front desk or PBX departments, Cathleen is a guest service super star who just a few moments of her time to help me select the right property for my stay. Cathleen was kind, professional and tremendously helpful and answered all of my questions and to wish me a lovely visit to Boston.
Thank you Cathleen, you are a super star!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed April 27, 2014

Needed to stay near Cambridge, and this is really well located, but for the price I was charged, this is an OK but not special hotel. Perfectly friendly and reasonably clean, but showing signs of wear and tear, and fairly characterless.

Room Tip: Face the river for a good view
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Alan S, General Manager at Boston Marriott Cambridge, responded to this reviewResponded April 28, 2014

Dear Derek W:

Thank you for sharing your observations about our hotel. You are certainly right that our Kendall Square location is the perfect place to experience Cambridge and the red line subway stop directly in front of the hotel provides quick access to downtown Boston as well as Harvard Square. Since your visit last October, we have completed a dramatic renovation of the lobby and Starbucks. We have a photo shoot this weekend and we hope to add the new pictures to our website soon.

Please feel free to reach out to me directly if I can be of any further assistance.

Alan

Reviewed April 16, 2014

I paid ~325 USD for room&tax per night and for this money I would expect a better cost-benefit ratio:
- WiFi was not included and was another 18 USD per day
- Neither breakfast nor any snacks were included, however, there is a restaurant & a starbucks in the hotel which is convenient
- bottled water in the room was not included. One bottle would be charged another 4,50$
- the 9th floor had a sign pointing towards a vending machine but there was none
- boarding pass printing was not included

Apart from this: the room (9th floor) was rather small, the view was not really spectacular and the concierge i talked to could be friendlier. For example, this concierge actually told me beforehand that Internet for the first 2 nights of my stay - which were paid by my company - would not be charged. But then of course they did add the costs to my private bill.

So, i a summary: good location but unsatisfactory cost-benefit ratio

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank N P
Alan S, General Manager at Boston Marriott Cambridge, responded to this reviewResponded April 17, 2014

Dear N P;

Thank you for sharing your concerns regarding your recent stay at our Hotel. I am sorry that we did not meet your expectations with regards to costs versus benefits. Our Hotel does offer a terrific location in the heart of Kendall Square, convenient to both Cambridge and Boston, along with a wide variety of amenities consistent with all full service Marriott hotels.

I am concerned that our concierge informed you that the internet was included in your rate but then you were subsequently charged. Please feel free to contact me directly so that I can correct this error as well as discuss your other observations.

Your patronage is very important to us and I hope that you will give us an opportunity to regain your confidence.

Alan

Reviewed April 13, 2014

This Marriott is located so conveniently that I gave it 4 stars. The Metro (T) is right outside their front door for the Red Line. And three different tourist trolleys stop right across the street. There are very nice restaurants located within easy walking distance, and Harvard and MIT are very close, as well.

Even thought the hotel was in the middle of some remodeling, the work was done only during the day. Consequently, there was no noise in the evening when trying to relax or sleep.

There is a Starbuck's in the lobby that opens at 6 a.m. during the week days and at 7 during the weekends.

The gym, while small, was adequate and from 6 to 7 a.m. was quite busy.

We had a little difficulty with our reservation, but it was all worked out to our satisfaction by the person at the front counter.

The room was clean. Aside from the undrinkable coffee that's in the room, all was fine.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business