“Convenient to the T (Boston’s Metro)” 4 of 5 bubbles

Boston Marriott Cambridge
Ranked #7 of 20 Hotels in Cambridge
GreenLeadersSilver level
Williamsburg, Virginia
“Convenient to the T (Boston’s Metro)”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2014

If your stay in Boston has your covering a lot of ground in via the T (their subway), then this Marriott is a nice option. It sits on top (literally) of the Kendall station off the Red Line. If they still offer a “breakfast included” rate, it is good value (especially on a weekend when the concierge lounge is closed).

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the river. The view toward downtown is great.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (234)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Hunterdon, NJ
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2014

I've been coming here for 2+ years and have stayed at various hotels in the Cambridge area. I choose this hotel because of the convenience, which is walking distance to our campus. The hotel is finishing its lobby renovations; which look good. Beds and rooms are comfortable and as a solo female traveler, I always feel safe staying here. I personally enjoy a room on the river side with the great view. My only wish is that they would change the toiletries provided in the room (shampoo, conditioner and soap). The scent is too strong and I end up having to bring my own.

People are always friendly at check in and helpful with questions. I guess I stay here often enough that on my last visit I received a welcome call, which is a nice touch. This Marriott has a Starbucks on location and the restaurant is fine, although often crowded. For the solo traveler, the bar area isn't ideal for a quick meal and room service has a limited menu. Sometimes I prefer Legal Seafood is right down the street and offers a better atmosphere. Mass Ave is walking distance (15 min) and offers a nice variety of restaurants to choose from.

As long as I need to travel to Cambridge on business, I'll keep coming back.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank AnitainNJ
Swieqi
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2014

Convenient location - just steps away from Kendall Square station on the T.
Super comfy bed. One of the best.
Caring, friendly room service staff.
Lobby being refurbished; once done will probably include an onsite eatery.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Angelicamt
CambridgeMarriott, Manager at Boston Marriott Cambridge, responded to this review, March 4, 2014
Thank you very much for choosing to stay with us at the Boston Marriott Cambridge Hotel. I am very pleased to read your comments about the friendly service and the comfort of our beds.

Our location and service make us a very popular hotel in Cambridge and with the T being so close to us, getting around Boston is very easy. The hotel is in the final stages of a lobby renovation and will in-fact be offering food and beverage service in that area.

Thank you again or your comments. We look forward to your next stay with us.

Ken Lavigne, Director of Hotel Operations
McLean, Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2014

The hotel in general needs an upgrade (rooms, halls, and etc.). The location of the hotel makes you forget how old the hotel is (middle of Kendall Square) but unfortunately not the room price which is very high compared to what you get. The staff were really great and very helpful.

Room Tip: High floor overlooking Charles River.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
4 Thank AnaWaRefeginly
CambridgeMarriott, Manager at Boston Marriott Cambridge, responded to this review, February 21, 2014
AnaWaRefeginly,

Thank you for posting this review and sharing your feedback on your recent stay at the Boston Marriott Cambridge. We appreciate your comments about the location of the hotel and the level of service offered.

I was however disappointed to read your comments about the price of your room. I can assure you that our rates are very competitive in the area and we have some exceptional AAA and advanced purchase rates available through Marriott.com.

One thing you may have noticed upon arrival is that we are doing an extensive renovation of our first floor. We are in the finishing stages of a major renovation of our lobby area including the main entrance and Starbucks. Once completed, you will feel completely different about your arrival experience and overall feeling of our product.

Ken Lavigne, Director of Hotel Operations
Greensboro, North Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2014

I wanted to post an update to my earlier review. I had previously commented on a significant reservation problem I found when making a reservation online at this hotel (with 3 people planning on being in the room, the hotel could not guarantee 2 beds. They did offer to put a rollaway bed in our room). After much thought, many phone calls, and finally getting someone helpful at the hotel reservation desk, we did end up staying at this hotel. I was bringing my boys to Cambridge to attend and event at MIT and this hotel was the most convenient. I will say the room was nice, Starbucks in the lobby was wonderful to have with the cold weather. It was in walking distance to restaurants, the T, and MIT which were of utmost importance. The restaurant on site was good and convenient (the weather was bitter cold so we were glad to not have to go out one night).

I do still feel they need to improve their website for making online reservations. If you are having more than two guests in a room (which their system asks) they should be able to guarantee appropriate sleep space. The price for the room is high enough that they should be able to accommodate 3 guests without having to add a rollaway bed.

Room Tip: If you require 2 beds, call the hotel itself to make the reservation.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
CambridgeMarriott, Manager at Boston Marriott Cambridge, responded to this review, February 1, 2014
Laurie325,
Thank you for staying at the Boston Marriott Cambridge. We know you have many other options from which to choose while visiting the Boston/Cambridge area, and we really appreciate your choosing our hotel. I also wanted to thank you for the kind words about our hotel and food and beverage options.
I would like to apologize for not having a positive experience making a reservation at our hotel. There are unfortunately times when we sell out of rooms with 2 beds. We do however have pull out couches in all of our rooms with king beds. In the future, I would recommend you contact the hotel directly and ask to speak to a manager on duty. There are occasions exceptions can be made. If you would like to discuss this further, I would appreciate if you could e-mail me at Ken.lavinge@marriott.com

Ken Lavigne
Director of Hotel Operations
Norwich, Connecticut
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2014

Great room, with a great view on NYE. We were able to watch the 7:07pm fireworks before heading out for the evening. The lobby was under construction, so we had to check in on the second floor. My guess is that during a busier time this temporary relocation would get crushed due to limited space.

We skipped the hotel restaurant and opted to walk to the restaurants that are a 5min walk away. Great restaurants and easy to access. You also have two Starbucks that are very convenient.

The public transportation is down on the backside of the lobby, so while you are not in Boston proper you have easy access to everything.

We are planning to return during the 4th of July.

Room Tip: Pay extra for the water facing rooms.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Aaron D
Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2014

Spent an overnight in early December with my two sisters and brother to celebrate his 50th birthday. We requested connecting rooms and were given a room with double beds connected to a living room area with a bedroom with a king bed-great views. It was great! Clean, roomy, living room area, quiet and comfortable. We did not have an opportunity to use the restaurants or the pool area. When pulling to the front of the hotel we were greeted by a valet who was friendly and helpful.
Upon entering the lobby the staff was friendly and welcoming.
When planning this weekend I was in touch with the online staff. The person I worked with was wonderful, helpful and accommodating. Nothing we asked for was impossible.
I feel the price of the hotel was reasonable, the location outstanding, staff excellent-a great place to have a great vacation!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family