“For the price Marriott can do better”

Boston Marriott Cambridge
Ranked #8 of 19 Hotels in Cambridge
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed February 20, 2014

The hotel in general needs an upgrade (rooms, halls, and etc.). The location of the hotel makes you forget how old the hotel is (middle of Kendall Square) but unfortunately not the room price which is very high compared to what you get. The staff were really great and very helpful.

Room Tip: High floor overlooking Charles River.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
4  Thank AnaWaRefeginly
CambridgeMarriott, Manager at Boston Marriott Cambridge, responded to this reviewResponded February 21, 2014

AnaWaRefeginly,

Thank you for posting this review and sharing your feedback on your recent stay at the Boston Marriott Cambridge. We appreciate your comments about the location of the hotel and the level of service offered.

I was however disappointed to read your comments about the price of your room. I can assure you that our rates are very competitive in the area and we have some exceptional AAA and advanced purchase rates available through Marriott.com.

One thing you may have noticed upon arrival is that we are doing an extensive renovation of our first floor. We are in the finishing stages of a major renovation of our lobby area including the main entrance and Starbucks. Once completed, you will feel completely different about your arrival experience and overall feeling of our product.

Ken Lavigne, Director of Hotel Operations

Write a ReviewReviews (1,017)

Reviewed January 30, 2014

I wanted to post an update to my earlier review. I had previously commented on a significant reservation problem I found when making a reservation online at this hotel (with 3 people planning on being in the room, the hotel could not guarantee 2 beds. They did offer to put a rollaway bed in our room). After much thought, many phone calls, and finally getting someone helpful at the hotel reservation desk, we did end up staying at this hotel. I was bringing my boys to Cambridge to attend and event at MIT and this hotel was the most convenient. I will say the room was nice, Starbucks in the lobby was wonderful to have with the cold weather. It was in walking distance to restaurants, the T, and MIT which were of utmost importance. The restaurant on site was good and convenient (the weather was bitter cold so we were glad to not have to go out one night).

I do still feel they need to improve their website for making online reservations. If you are having more than two guests in a room (which their system asks) they should be able to guarantee appropriate sleep space. The price for the room is high enough that they should be able to accommodate 3 guests without having to add a rollaway bed.

Room Tip: If you require 2 beds, call the hotel itself to make the reservation.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
CambridgeMarriott, Manager at Boston Marriott Cambridge, responded to this reviewResponded February 1, 2014

Laurie325,
Thank you for staying at the Boston Marriott Cambridge. We know you have many other options from which to choose while visiting the Boston/Cambridge area, and we really appreciate your choosing our hotel. I also wanted to thank you for the kind words about our hotel and food and beverage options.
I would like to apologize for not having a positive experience making a reservation at our hotel. There are unfortunately times when we sell out of rooms with 2 beds. We do however have pull out couches in all of our rooms with king beds. In the future, I would recommend you contact the hotel directly and ask to speak to a manager on duty. There are occasions exceptions can be made. If you would like to discuss this further, I would appreciate if you could e-mail me at Ken.lavinge@marriott.com

Ken Lavigne
Director of Hotel Operations

Reviewed January 16, 2014

Great room, with a great view on NYE. We were able to watch the 7:07pm fireworks before heading out for the evening. The lobby was under construction, so we had to check in on the second floor. My guess is that during a busier time this temporary relocation would get crushed due to limited space.

We skipped the hotel restaurant and opted to walk to the restaurants that are a 5min walk away. Great restaurants and easy to access. You also have two Starbucks that are very convenient.

The public transportation is down on the backside of the lobby, so while you are not in Boston proper you have easy access to everything.

We are planning to return during the 4th of July.

Room Tip: Pay extra for the water facing rooms.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Aaron D
Reviewed January 13, 2014

Spent an overnight in early December with my two sisters and brother to celebrate his 50th birthday. We requested connecting rooms and were given a room with double beds connected to a living room area with a bedroom with a king bed-great views. It was great! Clean, roomy, living room area, quiet and comfortable. We did not have an opportunity to use the restaurants or the pool area. When pulling to the front of the hotel we were greeted by a valet who was friendly and helpful.
Upon entering the lobby the staff was friendly and welcoming.
When planning this weekend I was in touch with the online staff. The person I worked with was wonderful, helpful and accommodating. Nothing we asked for was impossible.
I feel the price of the hotel was reasonable, the location outstanding, staff excellent-a great place to have a great vacation!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed January 11, 2014

I stayed in this hotel during new year, one night, my daughter was sick and vomit on her bed. Their staff came promptly and take care of the situation with the highest hygiene possible! We were so impressed and amazed the efficiency of their professionalism.
Plus, they have very clean, neat environment, right next to the T-Kendall station exit (Excellent if Boston has bad weather). Coffee in the room are easy to make and taste GREAT! Bottle water available for guests for free! 5 stars!!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank bbkwong
Reviewed January 11, 2014

There are some great aspects to this hotel. It is really easy to get to from the Red Line - and therefore from the airport. It is well placed for MIT. It has some stunning views over the Charles River (I was on the 22nd floor). The staff are helpful, my bed was very comfortable, everything was clean. The website hides away the fact that there's a swimming pool - so that felt like an added bonus. However, I resent being expected to pay extra for wireless Internet in my room. If it's free to someone who buys a beer in the bar, why isn't it free to people who are paying for a room without them having to go down 22 floors to use it? And I resent having $4.50 added to my bill for drinking the bottled water that was left out in the room without any indication it was an expensive optional extra.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank RMFerguson
Reviewed January 6, 2014

We were in Boston for a wedding and found this hotel met our needs very well. The staff was very helpful and the rooms were super clean and had plenty of space. It was a great value. My only suggestion is that free internet be offered in the rooms, with a stronger connection. The front desk was kind enough to give us internet as a courtesy, but guests are typically charged. The service and food at the restaurant was also impressive. Highly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family