“Average Full Service Marriott, With a Great View”

Boston Marriott Cambridge
Ranked #9 of 20 Hotels in Cambridge
GreenLeadersSilver level
Dakota Dunes, South Dakota
“Average Full Service Marriott, With a Great View”
Reviewed September 17, 2013

The good:

This hotel sits adjacent to the MIT campus. It has a pretty upper echelon collegiate vibe as a result. When we visited on our most recent stay it was MIT freshman registration weekend. We were there on business, but the hotel was loaded with proud parent and their future engineers.

The height of this hotel's towers provides half the rooms with the great view of the Charles river. They constructed the rooms to each have a big, floor to ceiling, corner window. Amazing. The rooms on the other side of the hotel look out over the north end of Boston and Charlestown. Less amazing, but still cool.

The lobby provides a comfortable place to hang out and meet people. There is a Starbucks within the lobby, so doppio espressos are easy to find.

The Red Line T sits right outside the "back door" of the hotel. This makes for simple access to the rest of the city. It's one of the most convenient setups in all our travels.

The not so good:

The rooms at this hotel are not huge. I know from past stays that they have larger rooms. They didn't see fit to upgrade a Lifetime Platinum to a better room, so I may reconsider staying there next time.

They don't allow food delivery drivers to bring your food to your room. This irks us at any hotel that does this. Especially when the elevators are not secured. Any Joe Blow can walk up to our floor and cruise around, but someone we are paying to deliver food cannot. This is a ridiculous policy, which seems geared toward making it less pleasant to order from outside vendors. Shame on you Marriott!

The final word:

I would consider staying again. The price would have to be right, unless we are taking our kids to freshmen orientation at MIT, of course.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the river side of the hotel.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (249)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Pittsfield, Massachusetts
Reviewed September 16, 2013

Held our daughter's wedding here and the attention to detail was superb. Jen Was a delight to work with and Salem and his staff did a marvelous job too. The suites were beautiful and clean the towels plentiful and plush. Everyone at this Marriott worked to make it an ideal occasion.

Room Tip: Ask for a river view!
Green Features: Hey we use our towels and sheets for more then one night at home so I think this is a great way to save on water and chemicals and our environment. The lighting is fine and all and all it is nice to stay a bit green.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Singapore
Reviewed September 9, 2013

I stayed in this hotel in late August 2013. It was located just beside Kendall metro and was near a handful of restaurant and pubs. The room was very clean and cozy. It was a pity I did not spend much time in this nice room. It is within walking distance to MIT and Charles River. However, you have to pay for internet.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed September 3, 2013

The building might not say much, but it's location is pretty good to explore Cambridge. Staff attentive. Rooms clean, spacious and bright. Has a starbucks and across the street a Cosi.

The only glitch was that my sheets had a hole.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Ft Worth, TX
Reviewed August 29, 2013

Stayed here recently while dropping our daughter off at school. Location is great, close to public transportation and many good restaurants. The onsite restaurant, Champions, was very good and reasonably priced. Room was very large and quiet, even on the sixth floor. It was a bit dated but clean. Bed was comfortable. Valet tended to be a bit slow, call early to get your vehicle. Johnny Souza, concierge, went above and beyond to help us during our stay. Overall, an excellent stay. Will stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Ankara, Turkey
Reviewed August 25, 2013

I stayed there with my wife. First of all location is very good. Top of the Boston subway (Red Line), Kendall/MIT Station. Just two stops to city center (Park Street Station).
Hotel has a low capacity public area, Starbucks and restaurant at the entrance and anyone easily enter the hotel, so no privacy and secure for that reason.
Rooms are not good. little bit small and very low ceiling. Sink is out the bathroom, inside the room)

-And this is my experience, not a generalize- Receptionists and restaurant staff aren't helpful. Let me explain: Last evening I bought a special bottle of wine to drink in our room. (That day was a special date for us) I asked the restaurant staff "Could you give me a wine opener for just a second please?" he told me "Sorry I can not give you a wine opener and I can not open other bottle of wine with my wine opener" (?)
Than I went to reception desk, I asked the same question to receptionist, she told me "I can not help you, if you go to 7 Eleven market, maybe you can find wine opener there" Time is 9 pm, and 7 Eleven is four blocks away.
So I opened it in my room with hanger...

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Moorestown, New Jersey
Reviewed August 20, 2013

Nice place, good location. Comfortable bed.
Park yourself and save $5/day. The offsite parking is the same garage the valet uses. It's connected to the hotel.
Hotel Bar was closed on Saturday at 4pm ?????

Other then them charging me for my own water bottles, I have no complaints.
So check your bill. It's bad enough they charge $4.50 for a 10 cent water bottle. But at least check your fridge and realize I didn't drink your water. I had my own.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family