“Couldn't ask for more”

GreenLeadersSilver level
California
“Couldn't ask for more”
Reviewed May 13, 2013

Fantastic location for MIT. Convenient for Boston and the airport, too. Nice views.

I found the hotel staff to be very professional--everyone from a manager I saw in the elevator to the front desk to the housekeeping staff.

On the day I was to checkout, I walked in on housekeeping, which surprised me. (There was a little bit of a mixup--my fault b/c I had booked two different reservations in order to get the best rate.) They were very polite, and they remembered to check my room key, which shows they are security minded.

Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank dntla

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (240)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
New York City, New York
Reviewed May 12, 2013

My husband & I stayed here for the weekend while visiting family. We checked in late & it only took a few minutes. The front desk staff was very pleasant, Tim, Sabrina & Alec. The room was very clean, beds really comfortable and the view was amazing! Valet parking was easy & convient, Sarno & Mohamad. The hotel is located in a great spot, next to the "T" or a quick taxi into downtown Boston. The concierge, Jon suggested a great restaurant,Villa Franccesa's in the North End(Richmond St) food was great, great staff. Good value!
Can't wait to go back for another visit!

Room Tip: The higher rooms have great views!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 9, 2013 via mobile

This hotel was great, very clean, quick walk to the beautiful MIT campus and the entrance to the T is right there too. Very close to the liberty hotel which is a must visit-it's an old jail turned into an upscale bar/club. There's also a Starbucks in the lobby which is amazing.

• Stayed April 2013
Vienna, Virginia
Reviewed May 1, 2013

I accidentally confused this one with the Residence down the street, but once I got to the right hotel it was great! I was able to check in early around 1pm (normally it's 4) and got a free upgrade to a room "with a view" (a room with the corner window from the pictures on their website). The view of the city was great (paying extra for, I'm not sure, but worth asking about if you're there).

There's valet parking available for free (or an extra $5 or something) if you book the package through their website (normally it's $30-$35). Just look for it when booking to save - the valet mentioned that a lot of people don't but that it's super easy to find when booking.

The room itself was great - spacious with a King bed, couch, coffee table, and a nice TV. The bathroom was small-ish but standard for a hotel room, and sink outside the bathroom. Couldn't hear anything in the hallways at night.

We were able to leave our car in the garage after checkout for a few hours while we took the short subway trip up to Harvard to walk around. Another great perk is that there's a T station (Kendall Square/MIT) literally right outside the restaurant, and it's very easy to use, even for someone new to the city like me.

All in all, I highly recommend staying here if you're visiting the Boston/Cambridge area.

Also, sign up for a Marriott Rewards Card. It's free, and it could have been the reason I was upgraded on those things. Never hurts to be a member!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Kansas City
Reviewed May 1, 2013

Recently stayed at the Marriott for an event at MIT. The hotel is within walking distance of the Institute and the Kendall Square T (red-line), restaurants and "The COOP" is steps from the hotel door. The location is also only a few blocks from Charles River.

The room was well appointed, and extremely clean. Sink is Kohler with granite countertops and nice faucets. I especially liked the niche set into the wall with a mirrored background used for glasses and other items. Nice touch. I had a corner window (two sided) with views of the MIT campus. Room included a sofabed (which didn't "look" like a sofabed), coffee table and a computer desk. Would certainly stay there again.

The only drawback, like many hotels the internet is for a "fee" in the room and free in the lobby. There are plenty of tables and chairs but I just find it odd that someone can walk in from the street and use the internet - or sit out in the courtyard, but at $200+/night a guest must pay an additional fee. Sheraton does the same thing and it's not competitive with lower priced hotels that provide internet to guests for free (with a password).

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed April 26, 2013

I called the Marriott Cambridge regarding the special rate for law enforcement personnel for the MIT Memorial for Officer Sean Collier. I spoke to a front desk supervisor named Anna, who was extremely rude. Anna knew that I was calling for the memorial rates, thus she knew that the reason for the call was sad. Yet Anna was unsympathetic and argumentative.

When I asked to speak to the manager, Anna said she was the manager. I further questioned her (because I did not believe she was the manager - and I was correct) and asked to speak to someone above Anna.

I spoke the ACTUAL manager, who stated that Anna was only the front desk supervisor, NOT the manager. I told him the details of Anna's rudeness, as well as the fact that Anna was FALSELY representing herself as the manager. He apologized profusely and said he would discipline Anna for her behavior.

My husband was appalled at the lack of courtesy shown at the Marriott Cambridge, so we ended up at the Residence Inn in Cambridge, just a few steps away from the Marriott.

The Residence Inn is also a Marriott-branded hotel and also offered the special law enforcement rate (for the same price as the Marriott) for the MIT Memorial for Office Sean Collier. The person in charge of assigning the special rates was very nice. I wish we had called the Residence Inn first, and avoided the ugliness with Anna at at the Marriott Hotel in Cambridge.

I thanked the Residence Inn person for her kindness and told her about the rudeness at the Marriott. Even though the rudeness was at a different hotel, she apologized on behalf of the Marriott brand.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank NoelleTraveler
CambridgeMarriott, Manager at Boston Marriott Cambridge, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
The tragic events that unfolded in Boston the week of April 15 were deeply felt by all area residents, including our hotel associates, as well as Boston’s friends and supporters from near and far. The Boston Marriott Cambridge hotel continues to be deeply grateful to the government leaders and law enforcement agencies who worked tirelessly to secure Greater Boston. Along with so many others, our thoughts and prayers are with those whose lives were cut short or changed forever by these unthinkable acts. Our hotel team made many special accommodations for law enforcement during this very difficult time. Our goal was to make space available for law enforcement working to protect our communities, to make quick and nourishing meals available for uniformed officers, and also specifically, to help those officers traveling on their own to attend the memorial service for fallen MIT Police Officer Sean Collier. I do sincerely apologize if your experience calling our front desk fell short of the intended goal. If you would be so kind as to contact me with your phone number or email, I would welcome the opportunity to speak with you directly. Thank you.

Ken Lavigne, Director of Operations
(617)494-6600
New York City, New York
Reviewed April 21, 2013

We stayed here last fall & came back this month (April 2013) so I could run the Boston Marathon. Booked the room through the official marathon hotel supplier. What made this experience better than the last one (despite the obvious horrors of the marathon):

1. It just so happened that our son stayed at this hotel three weeks ago with a youth group--and didn't realize til he got back home that he had left his belt in the room. Thinking it was a long shot, we went to the concierge desk, described what he lost & when he was at the hotel. The concierge said she would check with housekeeping and took our room number. When we returned to our room that night, his belt was waiting for us.

2. The hotel did a great job of treating marathoners well, even before disaster struck. The Starbucks opened up early, at 5 am, and there were water bottles and snacks for guests. The front desk promised that even though we were checking out in the morning, we could come back and use the shower in the gym/pool area. And that's what I did.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family