“Great Place for a Get-together With Friends”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Grendel's Den

Grendel's Den
Ranked #110 of 625 Restaurants in Cambridge
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pub
Good for: Bar scene, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Drinks, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff
Boston, Massachusetts
“Great Place for a Get-together With Friends”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2013

My friends and I got together at Grendel's yesterday, and it was a great spot! We all went to college together, and had a lot of catching up to do. The atmosphere was perfect for chatting (not too loud, but not awkwardly quiet either).

I didn't have any food, but I did have one of the cocktails which was delicious! Our waitress was very attentive, and very friendly, even adding personal touches by chatting a little (great customer service).

I had been hesitant to go out, but it ended up being a great evening thanks to a fun and laid back atmosphere at Grendel's! I can't wait to go back.

• Visited February 2013

connecticut
“Great late-night eats”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2013

We stopped at Grendel's for a late-night snack on New Year's evening and were pleased to find out that they offer half-priced food after 9:00PM from Sunday-Friday! The food was plentiful and delicious and a great buy. The place was crowded, so I know it is popular with the locals. I will definitely go here again.

Visited January 2013
cambridge
“Love Grendel's!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2013

Try the express lunch very inexpensive and so much selection you could eat here everyday (I almost do!) Really nice service and the Food is amazing. Since I am now a regular, although I have not met him, I know that the Chef has been there a really long time, that he makes world famous homemade CLAM CHOWDER, that he tries to order GRASS FED, ORGANIC, offers excellent VEGAN OPTIONS and tries to BUY LOCAL. Grendel's somehow does this and all for HALF the price of other restaurants!!! There is a uncomplicated, no fuss and straight-forwardness to this place that I really like. Dont expect fancy or foo foo and come casual and you will be a very happy customer. Also be nice to the waitstaff - they work so hard! I always overtip when I get the express lunch - which is meant to bring folks in, like the half off dinners, for drinks - but since I dont drink at lunch - I figure they deserve the tip! Okay now you know my new favorite place - be nice!

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank naturegirlcitygirl
Fall River, Massachusetts
“Disappointed this time”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2013

We usually enjoy this spot so much. It still had the ambiance and the great beer and the nice servers. But!!!! My mussels weren't very good at all. When they came, they were cold on top. I should have sent them back, but I didn't. I nibbled and got sort of turned off; they just weren't even tasty. My salad was excellent, but it's the first time I've ever left mussels in front of me.

• Visited December 2012
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“A cozy meal”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2013

Found this place through the A.R.T (American Rep. Theater) company website because there is a great deal that if you are seeing an A.R.T performance, you can eat at Grendel's (and several other restaurants in the area) and get a discount on your bill using your theater tickets. The deal with Grendel's was meal, tax, and tip all for $10 a person- we couldn't resist! Its in a cool location, right in the middle of Harvard Square and in the basement of a building, below Upstairs on the Square. Cozy casual atmosphere, waitress was VERY nice, and the food was delicious! Only complaint was that it was December and I was freezing throughout the meal, partially due to the fact that I sat near the door but there didn't seem to be much heating otherwise. I had the La La's Grilled Chicken and I definitely recommend it. Oh, but I also split a Hummus platter as an appetizer and it was pretty bland. Other than that, great restaurant!

• Visited December 2012