“Love Grendel's!”

Ranked #102 of 642 Restaurants in Cambridge
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night
Reviewed January 12, 2013

Try the express lunch very inexpensive and so much selection you could eat here everyday (I almost do!) Really nice service and the Food is amazing. Since I am now a regular, although I have not met him, I know that the Chef has been there a really long time, that he makes world famous homemade CLAM CHOWDER, that he tries to order GRASS FED, ORGANIC, offers excellent VEGAN OPTIONS and tries to BUY LOCAL. Grendel's somehow does this and all for HALF the price of other restaurants!!! There is a uncomplicated, no fuss and straight-forwardness to this place that I really like. Dont expect fancy or foo foo and come casual and you will be a very happy customer. Also be nice to the waitstaff - they work so hard! I always overtip when I get the express lunch - which is meant to bring folks in, like the half off dinners, for drinks - but since I dont drink at lunch - I figure they deserve the tip! Okay now you know my new favorite place - be nice!

1  Thank naturegirlcitygirl
There are newer reviews for Grendel's Den

Reviewed January 7, 2013

We usually enjoy this spot so much. It still had the ambiance and the great beer and the nice servers. But!!!! My mussels weren't very good at all. When they came, they were cold on top. I should have sent them back, but I didn't. I nibbled and got sort of turned off; they just weren't even tasty. My salad was excellent, but it's the first time I've ever left mussels in front of me.

Reviewed January 1, 2013

Found this place through the A.R.T (American Rep. Theater) company website because there is a great deal that if you are seeing an A.R.T performance, you can eat at Grendel's (and several other restaurants in the area) and get a discount on your bill using your theater tickets. The deal with Grendel's was meal, tax, and tip all for $10 a person- we couldn't resist! Its in a cool location, right in the middle of Harvard Square and in the basement of a building, below Upstairs on the Square. Cozy casual atmosphere, waitress was VERY nice, and the food was delicious! Only complaint was that it was December and I was freezing throughout the meal, partially due to the fact that I sat near the door but there didn't seem to be much heating otherwise. I had the La La's Grilled Chicken and I definitely recommend it. Oh, but I also split a Hummus platter as an appetizer and it was pretty bland. Other than that, great restaurant!

Reviewed January 1, 2013

Try the sangria! They serve brunch until 3pm Sunday. The mussels appetizer is huge and served with half a load of crusty bread; it is devine! The veggie nachos are a generous portion and excellent. It's a cozy atmosphere and the prices are very affordable. Located just steps from the Harvard red line T station, this is an easy destination no matter where you are staying.

Reviewed December 17, 2012

Aside from the hipster hang out making it kinda chill to be in there - it does smell a bit in the bar. Nothing in the way of entertainment in there either. Although the bartenders were nice, the waitresses weren't very good (so we just kept going up to the bar to get drinks). Overall - it's not the worst place I've ever been but I wouldn't go out of my way to go back.