“Perfect place to stay with kids” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Mary Prentiss Inn

Mary Prentiss Inn
Ranked #1 of 19 Cambridge B&B and Inns
Boston, Massachusetts
“Perfect place to stay with kids”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2010

If you are looking for a great place to stay with kids..look no further! The Mary Prentiss Inn was perfect for our young family of five. It was conveniently located off of Mass. Ave in Cambridge. It was an easy walk for our kids to get to Harvard Square and to public transportation.
The employees were very friendly, and the rooms were extremely clean. The staff brought in a high chair every morning to the dining room for our baby and the chef even made smiley face pancakes for the kids. Afternoon tea was the perfect way to unwind, The blueberry scones were my favorite.
We can't wait to return, next year we will come a little later in the year when the foliage will be in full swing!!

The Hansen 5

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
5 Thank hansen053

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
New England Area
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2010

I booked at stay at the Mary Prentiss Inn because I am partial to B&B-style accommodation even when on business. The "T" is only 5 minutes walk away so you can get to almost anywhere in Boston downtown in just a few minutes. The Inn is well presented but is different to a 'true" B&B in several respects. You never really get the sense you meet anybody who owns the Inn or is little more than an hourly employee. The room (I was in Suite 13 which had very effective air conditioning) had decent furniture and amenities. But don't expect anything fancy. I didn't make use of the breakfast facilities so I cannot speak to the quality of this although the dining area did seem to be quite small considering the number of rooms they have.

And now the worst. Upon getting ready to sleep and sliding into bed, my legs felt a little ticklish. Not able to let this go I pulled back the sheets and found short curly hairs all over the bottom section near the feet and even one near a pillow! Definitely not my own hair and very unsettling. I tried to call the front desk using the room phone but got a busy tone for over five minutes. I gave up and called the outside line that got through. They expressed surprise and replaced my sheets within 20 minutes. But that is all. No formal apology or consideration for having dozens of hairs on the sheets. I was far too busy with work to make a fuss but don't expect anything but the minimum service from the staff who are not very familiar with one another or even standard check-in and check-out procedures.

Parking is limited and I had to park on the street just across the road as there was no room in their lot. Cambridge is not the best place to park on the street so this was a little disappointing. For $179/night plus taxes I would pick a more reputable hotel that has a brand to stand behind. For my bed hair experience I did not receive a single dollar discount or an in-person apology. If you are set on B&B's try one with less hair.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2010

I stayed at the Mary Prentiss Inn in June 2010. Overall, this is a nice inn with a friendly staff. The breakfast is quite good and the garden is very pleasant.

However, the room in which I stayed (#2), which is on the ground floor (at a cost of $ 169.00 plus tax) has a problem. While the size of the room is good, it was highly unpleasant that the entire room (including the furniture) vibrated strongly from approximately 8 am till 10 or 11 am. I mentioned this to several staff members (including Joel the manager). The staff acted as if the issue of the vibration was news to them, but then explained that the cook must have turned on the vent in the kitchen, which was apparently below the room. I was also told they would look into it.

As for the location of the inn, I found it a bit of a walk to and from the train station at Porter Square, especially while tired after a day of sightseeing. However, a cab can be obtained for under $ 4.00.

While I would suggest this inn to other travelers to Cambridge, I would advise that room # 2 be avoided unless the management reassures the traveler that the problem with vibration is fully resolved.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank Wilhelmina87
california
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2010

This is a very private and convenient location for the Harvard/Cambridge area. Reasonably priced, the rooms are big and well appointed. The breakfast is excellant as well. I have stayed there repeatedly because it is so nice.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank heardCalifornia
Emilia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2010

Few minutes walking from Harvard campus, is an hystorical house well managed from friendly and polite staff. We have been in a small nice room, with noisy air conditioner. Very good breakfast, close access to metro (Porter or Harvard) and reasonable price.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Grisu21
Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2010

I have stayed here twice and can honestly say it is a mixed bag. It is more like a hotel than a B&B with lots of rooms over two buildings.

The first time I stayed I was very happy - the location is brilliant ... the cookies in the afternoon ... the cat (home from home for me) and the charming rooms. All fine and dandy.

The second time there were problems - many problems (no electricity - not their fault but they were unable to deal with it in a timely fashion and left me literally out in the cold). I was in the house next door to the main house and it rained the whole 3 days - i had no rain coat/umbrella (not their fault either of these) but how difficult would it have been to have an umbrella in the house next door for out of town guests. My key didn't work for the main house so I was locked out when there were problems (two days in a row) and when I called there was no answer/no voice mail. My email was ignored. I was stuck in a nightmare - getting ready for work in the pitch black. I got back at 8 at night freezing cold and soaking wet to find they had done nothing. I had to wait in the breakfast room for over an hour while they tried to fix it and failed. Then they gave me another room. They ignored my request not to have my room cleaned while I was there. When I told them how unhappy I was they either looked at the floor or turn their backs on me. It was downright peculiar.

In summary: The owners and his staff are lovely as long as everything is going along fine. They have no clue how to deal with problems, absolutely no customer service skills and they deal with problems so badly they create lots of ill will. I would never stay there again or recommend this place to anyone unreservedly.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Elenem
Hamburg, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 14, 2009

Pros:
*We were greeted by Joel, the manager, upon arrival and he went out of his way to make our stay perfect...cookies and tea at night, beautiful christmas decorations, cozy fire at night and the morning in the parlor
*Take Out and Delivery Menus availible if you want to stay in from the cold and have a cozy dinner by the fire, we did!!!
* Room was large, beds comfortable, flat screen tv, very warm and cozy

Cons.:
*Intbetween 2 Subway stops...Harvard and Porter...which would not be a con except that it was 25 degrees and very windy outside, sometimes rainy and we had no car
*Not as close to everything as we would have liked but a nice easy walk to everything if the weather was better
*Loved the cat but my niece is allergic...would have been nice to know that there was a cat living in the Inn in advance

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family