“Great for the right price”
Review of Mary Prentiss Inn

Mary Prentiss Inn
Ranked #1 of 20 Cambridge B&B and Inns
Seattle, Washington
“Great for the right price”
Reviewed July 24, 2008

The good:
- The location in terms of being in the centre of Cambridge, near bars and restaurants and Harvard square
- You do not need a car to visit Boston from here
- The rooms are decorated to a high standard, even more so than the common areas which is rare
- Breakfast was lovely
- Bed comfortable
- No noise from other rooms
- Room well equipped with TV, iron and board, phone, radio etc - no tea or coffee

The bad:
- Location in terms of views, on a little back street so you cannot see much
- There is a cat that is lovely, but if you are allergic it is a problem
- They have limited parking so mention the need for parking in your booking
- My room was generally clean, but it was dusty on doors, ledges and skirting boards,

I paid $150 before tax which is good for a quality bed in Cambridge, prices can try to go up to $250 so check a few times.

• Liked — Location - near everything
  • Disliked — Location - back-street views
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank 195binney

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
Parsippany, NJ
Reviewed April 8, 2008

Went to Boston for the first time, stayed at this Bed and Breakfast and LOVED it! The food was great, great staff, free internet available (only one computer though so we had to share with the teenagers). The only thing I didnt like was we were on the top floor, and our shower was on the slope of the roof - so we had to bend our back in half in order to wash our hair. Was not comfortable at all, but the place was packed because it was moving in day for college kids. Park underneath the Inn, it's free.

• Liked — The location was great - very close to the "T"
  • Disliked — The shower was on a slope of the roof, so we had 1/2 a shower...was very uncomfortable to wash!
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TravelingButterfly
Rhode Island
Reviewed February 27, 2008

This was our second attempt to stay at this B&B, we should have learned our lesson the first time!!! Five years ago the employees were rude...and they still are! This place looks romantic but lacks luster in its personnel and honesty is not their fortey either! We were to stay in a room in the winter with no working heat and a space heater that could not fight off the bitter cold of winter! Our room was 58 degrees and there was noone on site to handle the issue. There was also no answer on the "emergency" phone number left behind! We were promised we would not be charged after driving home in the middle of the night, however it appears on our bill. DO NOT BE FOOLED! There was also contruction going on and debris all over the deck-not a pretty sight!

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — everything else
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled on business
2 Thank Rhodygirlawhirl
Long Island
Reviewed January 27, 2008

We visit Cambridge 4 or 5 times per year, and usually stay in one of the big name hotels. In surfing for a reasonable price, I came across the Mary Prentiss Inn B&B. Since it was literally half the price of the Marriott, we decided to give it a try. We're happy we did. For $114 we got a large, clean room with a comfortable king size bed. The bathroom was spotless, the room was tastefully decorated, and at night we were surprised at how quiet it was. A reviewer mentioned the Inn needing repairs. We did notice some dry rot around one of the windows, but considering the age of the house, this is not at all surprising; it in no way detracted from our comfort. As for breakfast, we opted for "continental", which consisted of excellent coffee, oatmeal or cereal, fruit, toast, and yogurt. It was delicious. The free underground parking, complimentary bottled water, and friendly staff further enhanced a very positive experience.

• Liked — Price and location
  • Disliked — Slight disrepair
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank EastEndAnnie
Montreal, QC
Reviewed January 7, 2008

I really liked this Inn for the price, the location, and the fact that we parked underground for free! That makes a big difference, especially when taking the car in around Boston would have been too hectic. We booked a loft bedroom that was absolutely lovely in decor and layout. The bathroom was divine, and everything very, very clean. The made to order breakfasts were mediocre, but we were able to sit outside on the patio deck that was private and shady. I enjoyed cookies and tea during the afternoon that were really scrumptuous. The staff was really helpful, and you were close to all restaurants and attractions. It wasn't a B&B experience, but it was perfect for the price. I would return again.

• Liked — Location, free parking, room decor.
  • Disliked — Mediocre breakfast
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Shoppingchick
Boston, MA
Reviewed April 15, 2007

The place looks nice enough, but beware of a rude concierge woman who doesn't care about your business.

I'm having family come into town in late May and want to treat them to a 'thank you gift'- So this Inn was the closest/nicest lodging to my apartment. I called last night and was told that the place was booked, but I could see some rooms after 11:30. I show up today at 11:45 and the woman tells me I can't see anything. I mention to her that I was told otherwise last night, and she was dismissive and didn't appear to believe me or care. Then she takes an 8 minute phone call and gives me a cold shoulder. I just stand there and wait it out. She hangs up and realizes that I haven't gone anywhere and that's when she breaks down and shows me one of the rooms.

Now here's the thing: I understand that today is Boston Marathon Monday and all the rooms are booked, but I was specifically told that I could see some of the rooms after 11:30. IF a customer (me) goes through the trouble of walking through the rain to see a place that I was told I could see- I expect nothing less and the bad customer service I received will lead me to look elsewhere for my B&B booking.

• Liked — It looks like an average, but nice 19th cent. B$B
  • Disliked — Rude/unfriendly and unprofessional customer service
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
6 Thank Justnin
Woodstock, Vermont
Reviewed January 12, 2007

We stayed here for a night on January 11th.

We have stayed several times before over a number of years, but whilst trying to book this time i found it slightly confusing that I could obtain three different prices for rooms. The Inns own web site had one price, [-----] another and on phoning the inn I was told (after I had booked!) that if I phoned and mentioned that I had stayed before they could give me a different price! William who I spoke to was trying to be helpful but plainly had his hands tied.

As a fellow B & B owner (thus we perhaps have too much knowledge?) we found this slightly confusing and irritating but we booked non the less.

The inn is comfortable but i do wonder if it would not be better if more "common space" was catered for? The breakfast area would have difficulty seating 16 people and the inn can take 40 guests. This leaves one feeling a little cramped. We arrived for the complimentary afternoon tea and a cup of freshly brewed tea was tantilising, until it was discovered that all the tea available was fruit based. Now to run out of one tea type like Earl Grey should be difficult, but to have NO TEA other than fruit based ones is plainly not acceptable.

This was even more irritating as we are British folks (who live and work in the US), and we were in Boston....one could recall a few decades ago a certain tea revolt!

We slept in room 7 a twin bedded room which was quiet, and had a slightly used feel to it. Whilst not unclean it was not pristine, and dust was easily discovered around bed legs that had plainly not been moved for months. As an inn keeper one notices these things. The bathroom was clean but sadly I did discover two human hairs, which as any inn keeper knows is a two point deduction in a hygiene inspection. The free standing lamps had holders which were loose (a thing that really irritates me) and the guest fridge in the room was devoid of anything. Why have it I question, if the inn cannot bung a few sodas in it?

The night passed very restfully and we did not have a noisy jacuzzi, which other reviews have complained about (why they didn't holla at the folks using it at 1am is beyond my understsanding.......I would have been most abusive had i needed to be!!!!!)

We went to a late breakfast (one signs up a time and selection the night before) and were the only guests eating at 09.30. I wonder where everyone had to get to on a cold January morning or do we have an odor problem??? Anyway breakfast was freshly prepared and very simple but reliable.

But then we were asked to help ourselves to a hot drink.......I thought a good old fashioned cup of strong black tea was what we wanted (as we have it every morning)......but you've guessed it.......only fruit tea was available. The most helpful staff member open drawers and looked in cupboards and informed me ..."that a tea order had been placed" but at that time they had "nowt" as northern British folk would say.

We resigned ourselves to admittedly not bad coffee but just wish someone could have popped out and got us a small box of breakfast tea, which would have really impressed us. Instead we were left feeling a little disappointed.

Overall we would say the Mary Prentiss is a good inn, and the free parking and Wi-Fi are a big plus. On the downside we felt it needs a more personal hands on approach or some decent competition.

So Cambridge B & B owners in our opinions you have a chance to take some of their business, or perhaps we should think of moving there?

Things we liked:
Good "local" location in Boston with some great restaurants nearby. The "T" is also very accessable. Free Wi-Fi & parking
Things we disliked:
The Booking options - keep it clear and fair, lack of simple unadulterated TEA!

• Liked — Individuality and location
  • Disliked — Lack of TEA!!!!!!!!!!
  • Tips/Secrets — Take your own t-bags and phone to book/check prices and mention you've stayed before.
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled on business