“Great location, helpful staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Freepoint Hotel

Freepoint Hotel
Ranked #16 of 20 Hotels in Cambridge
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Great location, helpful staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2012

I stayed here on a business trip and found the rooms comfortable and the staff very helpful. The location is great and there is a lot in the area you can walk to. The little pizza/sandwich place next door is great and there is also a Whole Foods and Trader Joes just steps away. The only negative might be that I could hear/witness conversations between employees and supervisors very clearly, conversations regarding performance issues, etc.

Overall, I was happy with the hotel and would stay there again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2012

I stayed at the Hotel Tria during hurricane Sandy and was forced to stay an extra night due to flights be cancelled.

The first night of our two night stay we were given an early checkout slip which was greeted with an 'oops, you aren't checking out?' Errr no? We booked two nights which you confirmed upon arrival.

The second night we were woken by reception at 330am for a taxi we had cancelled. Cheers, didn't need that sleep.

The third night we were forced to make multiple phone calls to our insurance agents and family back in Australia due to the circumstances and our attempt to re route a few flights.
In the morning, during checkout, I asked Shannon who was assisting me checkout for a receipt of the phone calls made. I was told we made one call totaling $44 dollars which I explained was wrong and we made many calls. Shannon replied "it was our lucky day" and joked further about it.

Two days later I had been charged $200 for unknown reasons by the hotel. Upon calling it took 15 minutes to explain where the calls had come from. Apparently I had made a few more calls during the stay.... Really? I was told to call back in the morning because I could be assisted by a manager.

The morning arrives and Jason answers the phone and explains to us that it is not the hotels responsibility to notify us that we are being charged for the calls. Without a proper receipt and authorization it is ILLEGAL to charge my
card, Jason was unaware of this. His argument was that we hade made the calls, he had no response when told what Shannon had said to us. He continually claimed "it was not the hotels responsibility to inform us what we were being charged for."

I admit to making the calls but if I had not investigated the charges I would be completely unaware why I received them. It could of been for anything! Management has not helped me at all and their justification is ethically and legally wrong.

If you all hotels are booked, you didn't bring a tent and the park bench is occupied, go to the next town over instead of staying here.

• Stayed October 2012
2 Thank MMMR2129
Evanston, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2012

Tria Cambridge tries to do everything right. They don't miss much! Great value close to Harvard Square and Alewife Red Line train station. The shuttle to the square makes it work if Harvard or the environs are in your equation. The breakfast is too good. More tempting calories than anyone needs to eat. Not quite as good as the most expensive hotels in Cambridge, but would rather stay at Tria and save hundreds of dollars.

Room Tip: Don not have any.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Waltham, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2012

My friends and I stayed here for a night out in Boston this past weekend. I must say I was truly impressed by the Best Western Plus Tria that I had to leave some feedback. The hotel from the moment we walked in was perfect. The staff was great and super helpful. Helped us check in early, get us a cab, directions, and even offered for us to use their shuttle. The rooms were newly renovated and clean! After a night out we got back to the hotel late and the front desk clerk offered the pool lounge while we waited for our friends.

The next morning we were surprised by the large nice Breakfast. The coffee was great as well as the food selection and seating area. Plenty of seating and space to move around. The best part was the breakfast attendant who was extremely friendly and helpful. This truly was one of the nicest breakfast set ups at any Best Western Ive stayed at.

All in all this hotel deserves the highest ratings. We were impressed and if in the area again we plan to stay here for sure!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Cambridge, Massachusetts, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2012

Having spent the last two weeks at 9 different Cambridge area hotels (while apartment hunting), I've discovered that more money doesn't always buy a better hotel. Some of the cheaper 3 stars can out-accommodate their 4-to-5 star peers by sheer will, good service, efficient practices and intelligent design. This Best Western is one of those 3-star hotels.

Now, part of my enthusiasm may stem from getting a good deal through Hotwire ($130/night) and because I was given one of the "new renovated rooms" on the top 4th floor. (If you can, you should try to ask for one of these rooms.) But it is more than that. It is also the location. The hotel is near Fresh Pond--with a beautiful walking/running/biking path--and a variety of stores (Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, TJ Max, Sushi places). It is also near to the Porter Square and the Alewife T stop. Those who want to get to Harvard can take the T there, walk, or use a free shuttle provided by the hotel.

The [renovated] rooms themselves are also reason to fall in love. They are large, have comfortable beds and nice simple furniture. Also, you can tell the place is clean. The remotes are even specially made to be easily sanitized. The rooms include a microwave and a refrigerator (no freezer) a coffee maker, a nice TV--all the usual. A nice initiative is that they donate all the unused soap and shampoos to domestic homeless shelters. The free breakfast is a step above the standard fare--with real eggs, red skin potatoes, and a variety of options.

In short, this Best Western is the best out of 9 hotels in Cambridge and Boston. Oh, and they have fast free internet that is letting me type this review! Not something 4 or 5 stars ever have...

Room Tip: Ask for a "renovated" room.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
NJ
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2012

So, this place used to be a dive but it is getting better a bit at a time, it is still not quite up to the standards of a normal business hotel. I stay here because it is within walking distance of the office and the traffic in the area sucks so badly. It also backs onto a Mall with a Whole Foods, TJ Maxx and a movie theater so you can shop and relax if you want. Across the road is a very nice lake with a well used track about it, very nice for a morning run.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
sedona
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel before, as I work with the Whole Foods North Atlantic Regional office and this is close by (not to mention the Fresh Pond Whole Foods Store next door!). I enjoyed my last stay (about a year ago) and looked forward to the return.

I went into the bathroom and my socks started sticking to the floor. I looked down and it was clearly dirty. I was about to wet down a towel and wipe it off myself, and there were crumbs and a wrapper around the toilet.

I called down to the front desk. The man who answered offered to come up and clean the floor, as the hotel was sold out. I thought that was a nice gesture and said yes. When he got up to my room the bucket he was going to use (with water) was filthy dirty. I thanked him for the offer, but declined.

So I proceeded with my first idea: I took a wet towel and wiped down the areas in question. The towel is filthy dirty. I mean, I have to question WHEN this floor was cleaned last. I'm admittedly grossed out right now.

I decided to lay down a bath towel, so the entire floor that I will be walking on is covered. YUCK!

This is taking away from my overall experience of this hotel. One of the most important things to me when I stay at a hotel, is cleanliness. I am sure it is to many Trip Advisor readers and for this reason I would likely not return to this Best Western. And this disappoints me due to its perfect location for my bi-annual business travels.

Other things to note:
**Tonight was the Presidential Debate. The TV in the room needs to be replaced. The picture quality keeps fading in/out.
**The room lay-out is spacious; the bathroom is small. So if I were here with my partner, it would be challenging to get ready.
**There is a Starbucks off the lobby of the hotel which is always a plus to me.
**There is a mini-fridge a microwave in the room. Both are clean! (I just looked)

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business