“Homemade Italian ”

Basta Pasta Trattoria
Ranked #115 of 663 Restaurants in Cambridge
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Reviewed October 20, 2013 via mobile

Hidden in the neighborhood. A bit away from the craziness and high prices that is Harvard Square. Laid back, family-kind of place. Perfect meatballs, like grandma's. Baked eggplant is perfect. Not over friend. Light, but a lot of food. Many layers of flavor that really make it delicious. Totally shareable. Who needs the North End either? Stuffed, out the door. $15!

Reviewed September 5, 2013

Coming from DC where the pizza is no offense, but generally pretty awful, I was delighted to move to Cambridge and find this place within walking distance of where I live. The food is fresh, and nothing beats homemade pasta. The portions are generous - I usually take home half the pasta. Very casual atmosphere in the restaurant.

Reviewed August 25, 2013

I'm writing an informational "review" so as to let those who patronize or are thinking about patronizing this restaurant the correct way to tip. The owner, who is generally nice and gregarious enough, has set up a system where he personally takes any and all tips that are give on a credit or debit card (ie a majority of the tips). This is illegal and, in my opinion, unethical (tips cannot go to either managers or owners) and I'm sure that customers are not intending their tips to go to him but to either the service or kitchen staff to thank them for their work. I approached him about this issue tonight, standing up for myself and fellow employees, and was then fired. It is with a heavy heart that I write this, as Basta Pasta is great and all of the employees are exceptional, but I'm hoping anyone giving a tip will know to -only- leave cash if they would like to thank the staff, rather than the owner (who is often now even there). I would also like to be fair and point out that the employees generally make a tad bit more than minimum wage, so it's not a total sweatshop, but there is a reason that owners, who make all of the profits, are barred from receiving tips. It's also deceiving on the end of customers.

3  Thank jade_mesh
Reviewed August 4, 2013 via mobile

We just has a fabulous meal. The homemade fusili with olives, tomatoes, and arugula was excellent. The pizza was very good. A great find.

Reviewed January 19, 2013

Our team kept going back because everything is good! We tried several of the pasta dishes, and loved them all. We didn't try the pizza, so no comment on that.