“Great every time”

Cuisines: American, Moroccan
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Transit: We are located steps from the Central Square T and bus stops.
Reviewed November 11, 2012

They really do it right here. I liked it so much, I celebrated a big birthday here with a group of ten friends. They are equally good for small, intimate dinners as they are for larger parties. The food is extraordinary. Every time. I love the atmosphere, and the neighborhood. Very reliably high quality. Quite delicious.

Reviewed October 24, 2012

We took 2 friends from overseas who travel extensively and love food, plus 2 family members of the same ilk. I think we had 11 different plates (chicken, meatballs. scallops) and all were masterfully done. Head chef/owner S. Johnson uses spices and herbes so well and all of us commented on what wonderful taste treats we had. Service very good. It's like a neighborhood restaurant with a downtown Boston/Paris menu. Our visitors raved about it for 2 days.

Reviewed October 18, 2012

The food was very flavorful with unique combinations - lentils, greens and mustard sauce on wild salmon. Everyone liked their entrees - sizes were not big but filling. The dessert was okay. Nice atmosphere, good service and delicious food made for a nice meal.

Reviewed October 15, 2012

This was our first visit to Rendezvous, though this restaurant has been our "must try" list for a number of years. A birthday celebration needed a special spot and Rendezvous was chosen.

The room is calm and warm. The music was at a low level and the music selection was really pleasant. The TV in the bar was out of sight. All four of us chose the prix fixe menu. It is the only menu available on Sunday nights, but you don't have to order all three courses. There are no prices on the menu for the a la carte prices.

For the first course, two people ordered the lamb ribs, one had the eggplant meze platter and the other had the grilled sardines.We all tasted each other's dishes, and they were all seasoned and spiced perfectly. Next course we had two seafood stews, one steak-frites and the veal and pork meatballs. I couldn't taste the stew due to allergies, but those diners were very happy. The steak was cooked perfectly. I had one bite which was delicious. I was only able to eat 1 1/2 meatballs with the pasta and greens, but the other diners dove in and polished off the dish.

For dessert, we all chose different items. One lemon-buttermilk pudding, the chocolate cake, a walnut spice cake, and I ordered one cheese. I must have put birthday in the Open table reservation since the cheese platter arrived with a candle. (The first time a birthday person has ordered cheese. The kitchen found affixing the candle on a wood cutting board to be a challenge.)

The lemon-buttermilk pudding was revelatory! Oh my goodness. I have never tasted anything like this. My cheese was at the perfect temperature. My only complaint for the entire evening was that the apples on the cheese plate weren't as tart as I would like.

The service was warm, welcoming, and professional. We didn't feel that anyone hovered, and we were not ignored. Waters were quickly filled. Dishes weren't removed until the entire table had finished the course. Watching our server at each of his tables, he managed to find the right tone based on the customers at the table. Nicely done.

We all feel that we had a special evening. The food was considered. It was cooked with care. Attention was paid to details. The service made us feel comfortable. I feel that we received a good value for our calories and money.

Even with the prix fixe, we paid a bit over $50 per person with a carafe of wine. For us, this is special occasion territory.

Reviewed October 10, 2012

Last week we visited Rendezvous for the first time in about a year. The food and service are as good as we remembered. The unusual and interesting appetizers and entrees speak to the skill of the chef, who is willing to be experimental but not weird. Everything was first rate. We came in after a concert around 10:30pm, but the staff was still alert, friendly and helpful. Also the room was still over half filled and more patrons came in after us, so the place is obviously very popular. The prices are reasonable for the quality of the food. If Rendezvous were in Harvard Sq. instead of Central Sq. all of the entree would probably be $5 to $10 more.