“Great Fun!”
Review of Beat Brasserie

Beat Brasserie
Reserve with OpenTable
Beat Brasserie is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #33 of 663 Restaurants in Cambridge
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: A bohemian American restaurant & bar in the heart of Harvard Square.
Reviewed December 17, 2013

Had a great time here. Interesting menu, great cocktails. Good service. Fun vibe. Nice interior. All in all worth a visit.

Reviewed December 8, 2013

We met friends who were visiting from California at the Beat Hotel. At first we had trouble finding it since it is below street level. Once inside, we were immediately struck by the cool vibe. The restaurant is surprisingly large, but you would feel comfortable anywhere in it. Our server was patient, attentive, and humorous and offered great wine suggestions that we thoroughly enjoyed. We were all thrilled with our meals. I had the chicken piccata which was the best I ever had. The others at our table had the tuna (perfectly seared and delicious), the rack of pork, and the duck breast. Amid much lip-smacking, we tasted each other's meals and agreed that all were extremely tasty and copious. We shared a divine chocolate cheesecake which I would definitely recommend. It was huge, so be advised. Oh, and there was excellent live music! We heard a jazz combo, and we understand there is music seven nights a week. We don't live in the Boston area, but we are there many times a year. We are already looking forward to going back to the Beat Hotel.

1  Thank Terry C
Reviewed December 4, 2013

When I was told we were going to the Beat Hotel I was thinking "oh great another bar in a hotel." Very much to my surprise it wasn't just "another bar" and it was not even remotely affiliated with a hotel! It's tucked down in the former Tannery location in Harvard Square - soft, warm lighting, a huge long bar area, several first come first serve high-top tables and lots of regular dining tables (maybe too many? It was a little tight on a busy night and hard to tell). The host was helpful as we didn't have a reservation but he suggested a great spot at the far end of the bar. All three bartenders seemed to work together and I felt the right balance between being taken care of and being left alone. But hands down, the best part of the whole experience was the music. There were two different live jazz groups that played and they were phenomenal - not your typical jazz standards from the Real Book. You could hear them clearly over the hum of constant conversation, but it wasn't so loud that you had to yell or lean closer to your friends to chat.
I expected slightly better with the food since it's a Beehive joint, but it wasn't bad. A good menu selection but the food felt like it was a little bit rushed when it was made - but the potential for it to be great is definitely there.
Just because it's in Harvard Square, it didn't feel like a "college bar." There seemed to be a good mix of 20 through 50-somethings who were there for a good drink and great music.
I will absolutely go back and will most definitely try the food again, particularly to see if the quality has come up to Beehive level.

Reviewed December 3, 2013

Met friends here for dinner. We got there at 6 and had reservations... Not very many people were there then. But we figured out why. The bands done start till 8 so people show up later. We wont make that mistake next time!
I had the sole with wedge salad. it was really good. Perfectly prepared.
We also did the half glasses of wine so we could try a few. Which was fun.
We split the apple cobbler for desert that had salted caramel ice cream. Yum!
Can't wait to go back!

Reviewed November 17, 2013

There's a new restaurant in Harvard Square brought to us by the group that owns Beehive in the South End.I liked the feel of the restaurant. It's very funky and eclectic, has some fun pscyhedelic style artwork, mismatched chandeliers and a good bar scene. The tables are set apart so that you're not on top of the people next to you which is very important to me. The background music was an eclectic mix, like the restaurant.
Now for the food. There were some hits and some misses.
We started with smoky Chipolte BBQ spare ribs. They were a hit. Melt in your mouth kind of ribs. Pulled lamb nachos were cold and had to be returned. They came back to the table hot and were not reheated but a new order. I liked them but thought there was a little more cheese than pulled lamb.
Spaghetti with crispy artichoke, shrimp, pecorino and EVOO was delicious. It had a bite to it and was even better as a reheat the next day.
A burger with Gorgonzola was ordered rare but came to the table medium rare.
An organic chicken piccata with gnocchi was okay but nothing outstanding.
Wines can be ordered by the ounce or a carafe which is about 2 1/2 glasses. The selection is all American. They are choosing wines from sustainable vineyards and I like that concept but from my perspective, a Verdelho from the West Coast was not a match for one from Portugal. Just my opinion. I tried an Albarino. Again, it didn't quite equal a Spanish Albarino. I'm in no way a wine snob but I know what I like and these didn't quite make it for me.
So would I go back? Yes, to listen to the live music and sit at the bar. As I said, I liked the vibe of the restaurant and I'd give it another chance.
For more go to 2atthebar.