“Possibly the best burger I've ever had”

Mr. Bartley's Gourmet Burgers
Ranked #4 of 642 Restaurants in Cambridge
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Takeout
Reviewed November 30, 2013

Look, I've had Joel Robuchon's burger with foie gras.... And M Robuchon, there's a new champion. The minecraft burger was everything a burger should be. Tender inside, with a delicious charcoal outside. The tomato sauce was made of real tomatoes. The bun was forgettable but pleasant. Ok, the room is spartan and bright, and there is no restroom, and the line literally took over the entire block on Saturday, but I can see why. Service was pleasant and swift. A gorgeous burger.

Reviewed November 19, 2013

We came here 3 times. Fantastic range of burgers, sandwiches and veggie dishes ( chilli, mac cheese, etc) . First time we came was on the weekend, very busy, but they are well organised taking your order on the street and we'd only had to wait a short time for a table. The other times we came was less busy. You can pretty much have your order any way you want it. With or without fries, bun. You can also have sweet potato fries - delicious! The servers were very friendly and patient. Mr Bartley's is closed on Sundays. The place is family run, the owner took my order out on the street.

Reviewed November 5, 2013

This was a must-do type of restaurant. We wanted to visit the Harvard area and targeted Mr. Bartley's as our lunch destination. Even though the place seemed pack, a hostess - I'm guessing Mrs. Bartley? - waved us in the door and got us seated.

The waitress quickly appeared and explained the board specials and the table menus. Some came with fries and the other with chips. Anyway, there was a great selection of burgers - most named for historical figures. There were probably about 30 different burgers listed on the menu. Each one had a cute name and then a description of the ingredients and toppings.

The owners must have a sense of humor though...about two thirds down the page they had an Obamacare Burger. For the description, they said "no one knows what is in it" and for the price, they said "$Trillions". Pretty funny menu item regardless of your political views.

The burgers came and were delicious. Service was good. Seating was a bit tight, but when it comes with a sign that Jackie O. had sat at your table, well, what are you going to do?

It was a bit expensive for a burger fry coke lunch, but overall a memorable and fun experience. I would return.

Reviewed November 2, 2013

We decided to try a burger here because it was supposed to be historic. They tout themselves as a "Harvard Landmark". What a mistake! Simply, a big waste of time and money.

Sure there have been many famous people who have eaten here over the years.. (which they nicely label) but probably only because they tout themselves as a "Harvard Landmark". I can't imagine anyone eating here more than once on purpose. The only way this place stays in business is because of the tourists falling for the trap like we did.

The burgers leave a lot to be desired. There are many better places for a burger even chains like Five Guys do better. Their "Homemade Onion Rings-Voted the Best!" left us thinking voted the best by who?? They were simply awful.. flavorless and just hard to describe. They sort of tasted like they were cardboard coated.

The atmosphere was not good either. The tables were crammed much too close together and there is no public restroom! If you need the restroom, you need to walk 2 blocks to get to one. Seriously? I have never heard of a restaurant not having a restroom where you would wash your hands prior to eating.

Do yourself a favor and just stay away from this place. You can spend your money in many better places.

Reviewed October 14, 2013

I've lived in Boston for 25 years (3 of them in Cambridge) and never tried this place. Thought I'd try it out...too bad. Overpriced ($13 for a burger with swiss cheese and sauteed onions) and completely average. I also had onion rings and these I'd say were bad. This ia a tourist spot for certain and not worth it. Let me add, ladies, there is NO BATHROOM. You have to walk 3 blocks away to use a restroom. Also, bring CASH since they don't take credit cards or check. This place may have once been a good spot but its day has past! Thankfully!!!