“Disappointing”

Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Massachusetts Avenue
Transit: Red Line T stop- Harvard Square, Cambridge
Reviewed May 21, 2013

I have been to one of the other locations of the restaurant and have had good meals, so my expectations might have been unreasonably high BUT the dining experience that I had at this location in May 2013 was disappointing, at best. In fairness to the establishment, it is a brew house so you do not go there for the ambiance. Nevertheless, it is in a VERY DARK basement and not especially attractive. (The good news is that there are high ceilings, unlike many basement locations.) More importantly, while my meal was alright (meatloaf) my daughter's fish was not properly cooked (i.e., very well done on the outside but raw in the middle.) Keep in mind that this was not sushi or a high grade tuna, for instance, but an unidentified white fish used in fish and chips. My daughter was not able to eat the large portion of fish that was served. One would think that this would have tipped off the waiter that there was something wrong when he came by to collect the plates. Nevertheless, rather than inquire he acted as though nothing was out of the ordinary. (Insofar as this was the same waiter that neglected to provide us with napkins and silverware on a very slow night, and failed to apologize or even make note of this fact when he saw me getting up to get them from a vacant table, I was not entirely shocked.) Accordingly, I felt compelled to ask him to bring this problem to the attention of the chef so that the fryer temp. could be adjusted (or do whatever was necessary) in order to avoid this problem with another customer. Perhaps I should have asked for an adjustment on the bill but since that really was not the point- and I did not want to risk embarrassing my daughter- I did not. As you might have guessed already, neither did the management or waiter offer a discount or pay for a drink, etc., hence, my reluctantly writing this negative review. Admittedly, this could have been a one time occurrence. The fact is that I will never know because I will not go back to find out.

There are newer reviews for John Harvard's Brew House

Reviewed April 24, 2013

I first took my daughter here 8 years ago after seeing schools in Cambridge. Loud, boisterous, lots of kids. The food they like (and me too) and a scene they like. I returned recently with others while taking our sons on college visits. They loved it, we loved it. Burgers were great, fish & chips very good ,our salads refreshing and the beers were perfect for Moms after long days on our feet. Sorry I don't have more kids to show around, but if I'm in Cambridge........

Reviewed April 4, 2013

Okay, I did not pleasantly impress the staff at the hotel that I could not recall the name of this place. John Harvard, obviously a claim to fame in this area - and they did think I was pulling their leg when I asked for the John Whatsits Brew House. "You mean, John HARVARD?"
After my colleagues recovered from laughing at my major foooofah, we found our way back to this great place. And it was like coming home. The nacho platter is to die for as was all we ordered sofar. We will definitely be back next year!

Reviewed March 29, 2013

Had lunch here, the burgers were very good & juicy. Like the selection of brews. Sorry they didn't have Guinness on tap.

Reviewed March 15, 2013

It was very crowded, but what can you expect being so close to the Harvard campus. We cozied up to the bar and got great, friendly service. Ordered some beers and appetizers (nachos and mussels), and everything was delicious.