“Favorite bar in Cambridge”
Review of Lord Hobo

Lord Hobo
Ranked #68 of 661 Restaurants in Cambridge
Cuisines: American, Contemporary, Gastropub
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night
Reviewed August 7, 2012

This place has fantastic food, a ton of interesting beer (a lot more than IPA's and Belgians). One of the best meals I have ever had was here. It was a Shepards pie, fresh lamb (not ground), fennel, carrots, parsnips, a large helping of mashed potatoes, then cabbage on top. Served in a cast iron Skillet. Really fantastic.

Reviewed July 2, 2012

True to form, our foursome of forty-something parents sans kids arrived at 6pm -- excited to fit as much night-on-the-town into our evening as possible before drowsiness set in. Within minutes we were loving Lord Hobo's casual feel and 80s soundtrack. (The song list still managed to be eclectic in a satisfying way: Billy Idol's "Catch My Fall" instead of the expected "Dancing with Myself;" some heavy-hitting AC/DC to counter-balance the featherweight Britpop.)

The cocktail menu was well-balanced and interesting. We each ordered something intriguing and loved every sip. (I had the 1794, a whiskey-based Negrone that was a sweet improvement on the traditional gin version.) These inventive drinks and the huge beer list are clearly a big selling point for Lord Hobo.

For apps, we doubled down with an order each of rosemary and polenta fries. (Words of wisdom from my wife: when you discover polenta fries on a menu, order them.) Both were terrific. At this point, we all felt like we'd picked the perfect spot for a rare night out. I believe an "I love this place" escaped my liquored and salted lips with a slight slur.

In fact, "Love" would be my one-word review of Lord Hobo had the night ended there. The shaved prime rib sandwich and steamed mussels my wife and I ordered next just weren't great -- although our friends enjoyed their meals more.

Don't let that last bit turn you off. We'll certainly return to Lord Hobo for another night of tasty cocktails, tunes, and food. Assuming we can find a babysitter.

1  Thank Matt M
Reviewed June 30, 2012

This dive-y looking bar actually serves pretty chi-chi drinks and the food is pretty good. The bar menu is extensive--about twice as thick as the dinner menu--and I was very happy with my bourbon "Rambler" drink. Potent and delicious. The food was solid--the truffle fries were delicious and the polenta fries quite tasty; I'm not a big meat eater, but I really enjoyed the taste I had of my husband's pork belly. The main dishes we had were good, not out of this world, but good.The atmosphere was nice, the music was retro, and the service was fabulous. Would love to return.

2  Thank jbrown68
Reviewed June 24, 2012

My friends and I hit this place recently on a Cambridge pub crawl. I would highly recommend it to anyone in the area that likes good food and great beer. We only had apps so I can't comment on the full menu. Pickles, truffle fries and wings were all good, esp the fries. Good beer list for the serious beer connoisseur. Attentive service. I would go back to try more eats.

Reviewed May 14, 2012

Loved this place -- it's not too noisy inside, it wasn't too crowded, and the drinks were awesome. I tried the "root beer float" -- stout, soda, spiced rum and root bitters -- it was fantastic. The beer selection is extensive, there's something for everyone.

The outside and neighboring area isn't much, and it's hard to find parking if you're not from the area, but everything this place has inside is well worth the effort.