“Interesting but certainly nothing worth waiting in line for 30 minutes for”
Review of Yume Wo Katare

Yume Wo Katare
Ranked #172 of 629 Restaurants in Cambridge
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Dinner
Dining options: Dinner
Cambridge, Massachusetts
“Interesting but certainly nothing worth waiting in line for 30 minutes for”
Reviewed May 10, 2013 via mobile

Visited this place on a rainy Thursday @ 6pm when there was only as few minutes wait. They have one dish only: Homemade ramen noodles in broth with slices of pork. The pork is good but fatty and the broth is tasty but salty. You cannot get the ramen to go and you can't take your leftovers home. Everyone sits classroom style facing the cooking area. There are @ 18 seats. I would eat the ramen again as a side dish but then that's not an option. Oh well.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank dougwig

• Korean first
Boston, Massachusetts
“Very Long Lines But Definitely Worth It”
Reviewed March 5, 2013

Yume Wo Katare is Porter Square's newest gem and popular hotspot. Featuring 16-20 seats in the place which was formerly Zing Pizza, this spot serves up one thing and one thing only: ramen.

The place is owned by Japanese guys who already own a few locations in Japan. This is their very first expansion into our glorious country and hopefully not their last. They run a very strict joint here where no cell phones or lingering is tolerated and where your meal will mostly be accompanied by the sounds of other peeps around you slurping away at their bowl of porky, noodly deliciousness.

But in order to get this far in your quest, you'll most likely have to wait in line, sometimes upwards of two hours in order to score a spot. However they're recently extended their hours and open an hour earlier than before so it's definitely helped relieve that a bit - I personally only had to wait twenty five minutes to get in. And it was totally worth it.

Once you do get in, even before sitting down and eating, you must immediately order your food and pay (and even tip) which was a bit weird but makes sense. The menu is as simple as it gets: there's basically only one dish and it comes in two sizes:
- Their ramen bowl ($12) is the regular sized-version of the dish and will be featuring two pieces of char siu pork.
- Their buta ramen ($14) is the large size and will feature five pieces of char siu pork.

I personally decided to go for the former, smaller size not really knowing what to expect, and it turns out that it was plenty. One highlight is that once your noodles are almost ready, the chef behind the counter will look at every individual in your party and will ask if you want raw, chopped garlic on top. The catch? He asks in Japanese so be ready to say "Hai" if you want it. I sure as hell recommend you do, it adds a bit more depth in there and works well with the ingredients elevating it even that much further. One thing I couldn't figure out was what the broth base featured and this despite my ramen eating experience - my best guess would be that it's a hybrid of a tonkotsu broth with some soy sauce in it but I could be slightly off. It's not seafood based though, that's all I know.

The pork was absolutely amazing, divine even, and the broth was rich, salty, murky and paired perfectly with the noodles. And don't even get me started on the noodles - the egg noodles were fresh, chewy and had a wonderful texture. Not overcooked, not bland, they definitely had a purpose in there and offered a great contrast. Each slurp was a symphony of deliciousness just exploding all over my taste buds. I was amazed. I was near silent as I enjoyed this experience.

A lot of people have complained that the broth was very rich, almost too rich because of the pork fat in it. It didn't bother me but then again, I didn't finish my broth. But I did however manage to eat every single other morsel of food that was present in my bowl. The tiny pieces of cabbage, the toppings and the noodles. And it was all delicious and well worth a trip.

Despite having competition just a few hundred yards away where Sapporo Ramen has been reigning supreme for the decade (?), this place is definitely here to stay. They are a bit more expensive but specialize on that one dish and definitely nail it. It was a delicious and pretty quick meal if you ignore the time spent in line trying to get to the seat. I look forward to returning for some slurpy adventures. Getting there is super convenient as it's on the red line and there's also ample parking in the Porter Square shopping plaza. All in all, I was pretty damn impressed with the food and authenticity. Just remember, no takeout and no delivery here although you'll be hard pressed to find any food left in other people's servings once they're done eating. I'll definitely be back.

• Visited March 2013
Boston, Massachusetts
“Pretty awesome, maybe a little overhyped”
Reviewed January 17, 2013

I lived in Japan for 6 months or so back in 2006 and have since been back 4 or 5 times, and love almost everything about Japanese food - particularly ramen. A gigantic bowl of warm wonderful ramen is hard to beat, so when I heard that there was not only a new ramen restaurant coming to the Boston area, but a branch of a Japanese chain where they only basically make one type of ramen and speak almost entirely in Japanese, I was thrilled!

I went with two Japanese friends of mine and waited in the inevitable line that seems to be unavoidable. After about 40 minutes or so we were seated, and received our buta ramen - a sort of tonkotsu/soy combo with tons of bean sprouts, noodles, loooots of garlic, and 5 amazing (incredibly fatty) slices of chashu pork.

The whole thing is wonderful. It tastes great, and you love eating it - until you're about 35% of the way through. Then you'd be hard-pressed to continue any further, and sadly they don't allow you to take it home. See, Yume Wo Katare apparently has a lot of rules - not enforced in a mean way or anything, just kind of rigid guidelines they apparently don't deviate from - and 'no doggie bags' seems to be one of these.

Overall, Yume Wo Katare is a pretty great place, and I'm happy to see it in Boston. Their name is great; it means something to the effect of "tell us your dreams", and there's the possibility to do just that by writing your dreams on a piece of paper and having it framed inside the store. However, due to the big line, I felt really rushed/guilty and didn't take the time to do it. That said, the service was incredibly nice and the food was somewhat reasonably priced.

If they had smaller portions I think it would speed everything up and it would result in a better experience all around!

• Visited January 2013